Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Alright, roguelikes  (Read 2842 times)

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
Alright, roguelikes
« on: May 24, 2009, 09:56:10 pm »

A bit of backstory now: My home contains two computers for my use. One is super awesome supremeo, able to handle anything you throw at it for a good $400. Awesome. Next to that is an old, beat up junker of a laptop that crashes from overheating of so much as a Youtube video is played, and has more problems from Norton than any possible virus.

Sometimes my sister works on a Radio Play for a voice acting forum, so she needs to use the super computer. I like the fact that she has this project, because it reminds me to not be a lazy ass and do something. So, here I am with nothing to do. Then I download C-evo, and I find that this laptop can indeed run some programs without crashing the damn thing.

So here is my request: Roguelikes. These things don't take much power to run, so they should be perfect. My only problem is finding a good one. Please, just post whatever roguelike you like the most and why. I'll try to find that thing that so pleases you. I do have standards, however, which will help you understand what I look for in such a game:

It must include some method of learning the game. At the very least the basic commands. I don't want to be greeted with a list of actions including Speaking French, printer repair, dish washing and gazing menacingly if I have no clue why or how those commands are in there.

It needs a rather extensive level generation ability. By extensive, I mean beyond the very generation technique that Nethack made popular despite how boring it is. Unless there are alternate designs I have yet to gaze upon because of my suckage, nothing that copies Nethack in this way.

I know I'm looking at an ASCII game, but it needs to be pretty. DF is pretty. Many objects look like what they represent. Walls look like walls. #'s for walls are discouraged. I'm not totally opposed to them, but I can't really tolorate them after seeing the smoothed walls of DF.

A non-confusing inventory system. I'm lookin' at YOU, Incursion!

Not CPU intensive, like DF and possibly Elona can be.

So yes, let me see what you love about them roguelikes and a possibility to somebody with such strict criteria! I might just download Powder to this machine, as it just feels right to me as a roguelike.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
Re: Alright, roguelikes
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2009, 10:16:55 pm »

ugh, I still cant seem to understand how people see incursions inventory as complicated.

Anyway ADOM and/or angband seem sorta close, but lack some of your demands...

Xenocide has a tutorial if you need help with commands... but it may be too much for your comp(mabey?)...

I mean they are quite demanding, and I cant find anything that really matches what you want exactly...

Anyway my favorite is gearhead(and it matches your demands closest) but Im having doubts about it being able to run, but It seems to have all you want except the inventorys can get a bit complicated(but its not too bad) But like I said the main problem is it may be too much...

lets see what else I got...

nope thats all I can think of right now...(other then nethack, witch you already know of)

EDIT: Oh yes, powder would be good if it works. Stick to that!
« Last Edit: May 24, 2009, 10:18:45 pm by cowofdoom78963 »

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2009, 10:21:16 pm »

I have heard lots of good things about GearHead, which for some reason I have never checked out. I'll look into it.

ADOM and Angband are also rather well-liked, but they appear to fall into the common disinterest trap of other roguelikes. Still, it was a good year or two ago when I seriously researched roguelikes. Mayhaps the charm will rub off on me nowadays.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2009, 10:26:54 pm »

I recommend Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup.

It's title is deceptively retarded.

It's a roguelike built around several design principals, one of which is that the interface absolutely cannot be a source of irritation for the player. It has a simple, flexible inventory system, the random level generation is much better than the likes of Nethack, ADOM, and Angband, and it has tons of different classes that can be combined with numerous races to suit almost any playstyle.

It's ASCII graphics are definitely better than Nethack's. The screen actually looks good, unlike the ugly ass ASCII Nethack has.

Here's a screenshot:

Pictured is a Mummy Assassin in the Ecumenical Temple. The Ecumenical Temple is an early dungeon branch containing altars for most gods in the game, with no monsters present (unlike that Battlefield: Minetown bullshit Nethack loves so dearly). Mummies are one of the more interesting races; they learn slowly, but they cannot eat and drink and have no hunger clock. Assassins are just what they sound like. So basically, this character can just sit there in total silence until some unsuspecting kobold bumbles past, and then shoot them with a poison dart. Way better than Nethack.

Here's a link to the normal version.

Here's a link to the playtest development version. I think. :I

Anyway, the development version is currently testing the Deep Dwarf race, a race of dwarves that are excellent users of magic devices but do not naturally regenerate health.

Also, character creation seriously takes like 10 seconds.

Oh, also, DoomRL is really fun, even if you don't like Doom. It's so simple a kobold could play it, and all that.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2009, 10:28:29 pm by inaluct »

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2009, 10:42:56 pm »

Actually, that does look rather nice. Good job on that heads up. Looks like tomorrow I shall have loads to do.

Well, I gotta bunch of gardenwork to do so not really. But we shall see.

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2009, 10:54:05 pm »

Oh yeah stone soup and DoomRL! Inaluct hit the nail right on the head.

they appear to fall into the common disinterest trap of other roguelikes
Hmm? A disinterest trap?

Okenido

• Bay Watcher
  • Loli Advocate
    • View Profile
    • New Various Nonsense
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2009, 10:58:36 pm »

Stone Soup's ASCII UI is absolutely horrid to look at, and is more impossible to use than Dwarf Fortress's. (The tiled version's though has the best UI I've seen.)

Random level generation that's better than Nethack, ADOM, and Angband? Don't make me laugh. There are more nicely random features to shake things up, but most of the time you feel as if you're spelunking one DF's caves only with wider corridors.

It's honestly bloody overrated.

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2009, 11:02:03 pm »

in b4 massive flame war.

But really, yeah, Stone Soup is good. But with graphic. Also, yes to DoomRL. It's great, and simple, and FUN!

Also, check out Toady's old games, like StarZoo and all of that...

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2009, 11:03:27 pm »

I heard there were various roguelikes with an overworld, although from what I gather they are as interesting as dungeon generation.

Actually, as a design prototype a roguelike made for level generation would be kickass. Just a below-average RPG with a ton of attention made towards level generation.

Also, by disinterest trap I mean the various features sprinkled around interesting features that muddle them up. The downsides of a game that turn people off before they see the gold awesomeness that is the game.

Then again, I should likely sleep now. I think I flamed some people on some IRC program.

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2009, 11:07:17 pm »

in b4 massive flame war.
Good call. There would be one, if I had enough respect for Okenido to bother discussing anything with him.

Raz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2009, 11:16:53 pm »

Try out IVAN. I think it's awesome.

http://ivan.sourceforge.net/
"I can't wait to procrastinate!"

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2009, 11:20:35 pm »

IVAN would be too intensive for his comp I think, it cant even run c-evo.

But I guess it couldent hurt to try, if IVAN works it would be a good choice.

Zai

• Bay Watcher
  • Elmo? Is that a SIMPLE UTENSIL?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2009, 11:24:38 pm »

wut

Being able to play C-evo was what made him realize that his comp could play some things.
DEATH has been waiting for you. He has poured you some TEA.

Eagle

• Bay Watcher
  • [LARGE_ROAMING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2009, 11:25:45 pm »

Spelunky is a fun little rougelike, although its not an RPG.

Errr, the only rougelikes i really play are NetHack and Stone Soup, which have both been mentioned. However, i also have a flash drive full of simple flash games, that my 10 year old computer can sorta run; i doubt you laptop is that weak. I can give you some ideas for free games that aren't CPU intensive if you dont only want rougelikes.

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2009, 11:29:19 pm »

wut

Being able to play C-evo was what made him realize that his comp could play some things.

I just play IVAN.

I died.
Horribly.
Pages: [1] 2