Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What's the most decadent thing you've done?  (Read 2164 times)

Ookpik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What's the most decadent thing you've done?
« on: May 24, 2009, 09:34:08 pm »

I like playing on resource-rich maps, which means that I always end up with way, way, WAY, WAAAAY more stuff than I need.  This has got me thinking about exquisite ideas for waste and excess.

What's the most decadent thing you've done in a DF game?  Clearcut old-growth forest so you could get enough ashes to make constructions out of soap?  Built an entire fortress out of nickel silver or feather tree?

I'll go first:  In my current fortress, I've started trading with the humans for artifact-quality metal toys to melt down for slag.  I don't even make anything out of it (I have enough iron as it is).  I just don't want anyone else to have it.
g+@@T@+

The intruder arose, casting off its black cloak.  "Behold, stunted jesters!  It is I, Scuro!"  A jagged scar marked the goblin's face from eye to chin, his greasy mane gray and wild, and about his neck was the broken silver amulet, strapped together by a leather band.

Taritus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's the most decadent thing you've done?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2009, 09:45:07 pm »

By artifact quality, you mean masterwork, right?  I'm pretty sure artifacts can't be traded to you from any traders...

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2009, 10:22:06 pm »

Um, how about consuming all available resources for the sole benefit of one dwarf?

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2009, 10:51:09 pm »

I dumped a noble in a hole, dropped my ENTIRE stockpile of rough, cut, and large gems, gold bars, and crowns in alongside him and LET him starve to death.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2009, 11:39:34 pm »

Anyone ever consider building an adamantium house? It protects your little piggies from wolverines.  ;D

And it fetches for a decent value too.

That Zero Guy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2009, 11:52:00 pm »

Soap fortress.

I had so much of the stuff some of my dorfs made soap artifacts. Like a soap warhammer.

... why.

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2009, 03:57:19 am »

Soap fortress.

I had so much of the stuff some of my dorfs made soap artifacts. Like a soap warhammer.

... why.
that's not so bad. you can actually cleanse elven filth with it. copperblazes, i think, is the winner when it comes to decadence. i usually get bored with a fortress before anything fancy starts going on.
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2009, 08:41:01 am »

All my forts have some decadent goal. i always import precious gems with every caravan incase i want to make something stupidly valuable.

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The Light shall take us
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2009, 09:56:10 am »

What's the most decadent thing you've done?

Letting the elves live?
Quote from: Akura
Now, if we could only mod Giant War Eagles to carry crossbows, we could do strafing runs on the elves who sold the eagles to us in the first place.

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2009, 09:58:20 am »

Hmm mines not a big thing but I had an awsome map with pretty much anything you could ask for, awsome seiges (every gob on a beak dog) and tons of iron. I was making everything I could out of iron. Speaking of that save I never finished it, need to go back and do that.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2009, 10:18:27 am »

Replacing the soil in the surface level of my fort with stone walls.

Accumulating 500-odd bars of iron and 300 of steel.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Overdose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2009, 11:08:24 am »

bauxite block fortress 55x75 and 4 floors high, all walls floors, roofing. I was aiming for 10 floors but it took so long for just the first 2 that i decided it was aiming a bit high.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2009, 11:22:14 am »

Clear-cutting a forest to burn it all to make pearlash for masterwork clear glass windows to put in a multi-level villa for my warrior king. Also, making the entrance to said villa out of gold blocks.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Gothmog

• Bay Watcher
  • Demands item in bedroom
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2009, 12:44:47 pm »

Most decadent thing?

I decided that the trader/manager/mayor I named after myself needs several adamantine statues encrusted with all available gems, studded with all available metals and decorated with all other possible things (bone, tec.) in his dining room, as well as valuable metal furniture in all his other rooms.

He got all these things, shining things that would make a king weep because of their wastefulness.

Did I mention that he's blind?

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2009, 12:56:18 pm »

Most decadent thing?

I decided that the trader/manager/mayor I named after myself needs several adamantine statues encrusted with all available gems, studded with all available metals and decorated with all other possible things (bone, tec.) in his dining room, as well as valuable metal furniture in all his other rooms.

He got all these things, shining things that would make a king weep because of their wastefulness.

Did I mention that he's blind?

But he can feel and taste them, and the quality.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.
Pages: [1] 2