Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Siege Face Off  (Read 1029 times)

Mydnight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Siege Face Off
« on: May 24, 2009, 04:19:51 pm »

Hey guys, I've hit a bit of a stalemate with my current siege.  This is the third siege for my fortress, and after the first two I decided to build an archers tower with fortifications.  The tower is about 2-3 z-levels above the battlefield, and the only entrance to my fort is across a waterless moat I channelled out and put a drawbridge across (its up currently).

Right now there's about three squads of gobs surrounding the tower, not moving.  My Marksdwarves squad isn't shooting at them either, and if I try to get them to move (like to the level above or below) they don't do anything.  For some reason one of my melee squads has decided to crowd into their tower as well (no barracks up there, just an archery range), they're supposed to be hanging out around the gate.

I've tried throwing open the gate to entice the gobs to move away (there's a 6-8 tile long corridor with rock traps waiting for them), but I keep having civies make a break for freedom.  While inevitably it lures the gobs away I don't like seeing half my population run for the border.  I tried to do a restricted traffic area to prevent this, but nope, you can't contain the dwarves!  Let me know if you need pics of my fort.  I think I have enough resources to wait out the siege if need be, but I've got some decent troops and would like to use them.  The only time I got them to do anything was when I deactivated my crossbowmen, as they left the tower a few stayed behind to actually fire at the gobs.  Thankfully there's no trolls, but there is an elite crossbowman (and one other gob bowman), and a Hammerlord gob.

Please help?

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Siege Face Off
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2009, 04:23:11 pm »

Try deactivating the squad, let them get away a bit, and then reactivate them. If you have access to ammo, that SHOULD make them pick it up-sometimes they won't pick up more ammo unless you do that, although I have no idea why. Worked for me in a similar situation.
From Mr. Welch's 1350 things he is not allowed to do in a RPG:
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
171. My character's dying words are not allowed to be "Hastur, Hastur, Hastur"
218. No matter my alignment, organizing halfling pit fights is a violation.
231. I am not allowed to do anything that would make a Sith Lord cry.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2009, 04:45:06 pm »

The option Squad chases opponents or squad stays close to station.  They will rather smack goblins when they run out of ammo instead of reloading when you set it to chase opponents.

You probably just don't understand how to use the squad menu, but I can't fix that.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Flop

• Bay Watcher
  • Strike the couch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2009, 04:48:56 pm »

I had this happen a while ago, but never managed to solve it. One thing I didn't try, but think might help is changing "dwarves chase enemies" to "dwarves stay close to station" (or whatever that option is called), for that squad.

Edit: too late...

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2009, 05:36:30 pm »

It isn't much help right now, but, after the siege is over, build another archery tower a short distance away from the first one and then put a wall around the base of each tower to keep goblins a space or two away. That way, one tower can cover the other one; marksdwarves won't shoot at targets directly below them.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2009, 05:38:14 pm by Ubiq »

Mydnight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2009, 06:03:15 pm »

It isn't much help right now, but, after the siege is over, build another archery tower a short distance away from the first one and then put a wall around the base of each tower to keep goblins a space or two away. That way, one tower can cover the other one; marksdwarves won't shoot at targets directly below them.

There's a squad of gobs standing on a small hill just a short ways away, I'm gonna claim it when this is over

The squad menu option has really helped a bit.  And right now they're not clustered around the base either, but my guys can still fire at em.  Gonna see if I can get results by stationing them at the edge of the tower so they cluster on sides.