Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What are the good types of nobles?  (Read 3755 times)

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
What are the good types of nobles?
« on: May 24, 2009, 01:57:09 pm »

I have two favorite types of nobles. (not specific nobles, nobles with personality types).

Dead nobles, and nobles who love easy to make things.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

illiterate

• Bay Watcher
  • [THRIVES_ON_OBSCURITY]
    • View Profile
Re: What are the good types of nobles?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2009, 02:07:55 pm »

i had a count who liked idols, and a countess who liked crowns. 

they were pretty darn easy to please.

personally i had a deep and enduring love for my dungeon master.  he did most of my smelting. 
"I accidentally dislodged a single tile at ground level while trimming the hill around the fortress entrance, and it punched through a lava moat, a gem stockpile and a bone stockpile before coming to a halt in someone's bedroom.  The bedroom's owner, a planter, was in bed at the time, and he got up and walked to the door just in time to get a coating of lava, gems, bones and scorched legendary miner chunks."  -NCarter

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2009, 02:13:10 pm »

Same.  I have 3 smelters working full time, on magma.  'Smelt metal Item /R" x10.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2009, 02:29:31 pm »

Dungeon masters who train themselves up to legendary furnace operator. They make mandates way easier.

I once had a mayor who loved bismuth bronze and flutes. Just hard enough to make satisfying him a challenge, but not so hard as to be impossible.

Barons who instantly demand adamantine in a fort dug into a river plain are wonderful for testing noble-killing devices.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2009, 02:39:36 pm »

The good nobles are the dead nobles.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2009, 02:44:55 pm »

My current Mayor likes Aluminum. I have like 20 aluminum stones, though, so no worries.
My baron likes grates, rose gold, cobaltite, Jasper opal, ivory, the color pale chestnut, and large serrated discs. Also mules.

So challenging, but not too difficult.  Unless I modded rose gold to spit out adamantine.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2009, 07:50:38 pm »

Dungeon masters. Only good kind of noble. They're useful as working dwarves, have an actual useful noble ability (tame dragons, fuck yeah!) and NEVER mandate or demand (which is good because they invariably like phat loot).
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Cogmeister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2009, 08:26:31 pm »

Dungeon masters. And if record keepers count as nobles, than I dedicate this post to every last one that locked themselves in a room to keep an account of the entire fortress's stocks :P Useful dwarves, those.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2009, 08:30:59 pm »

Dungeon masters. And if record keepers count as nobles, than I dedicate this post to every last one that locked themselves in a room to keep an account of the entire fortress's stocks :P Useful dwarves, those.

Record keepers are purple right? Then they count as a noble.
I too like the dungeon master.

Lord_Shadow

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNDEAD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2009, 08:57:55 pm »

dead followed by easy to please.
Urist McCarpenter cancels rest: QUITSCREWINGWITHMAHBUCKETSYOUSONOFABITCHES!!!
Urist Mccarpenter has gone stark raving mad!
Urist McWalrusCarpenter cancels rest: Has u seen mah bukkit?!

Arcanalor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2009, 11:07:14 pm »

!!<Urist McNoble>!! is easily the best type.

Philosophers are also good. They don't really want a room, they don't demand anything, and they engage in witty banter.

Seriously, though. I make it a priority to construct a noble sauna in every fortress I build. They are told to pull a magic lever that will instantly fulfill whatever stupid thing it is that they're mandating. This lever locks them in the sauna where they get to enjoy the refreshing heat. Then a local mob boss representative of the craftdwarves union comes along to pull another lever. This lever dumps gently lowers the noble into their bath. They always quickly end their mandates afterwards. Plus they like their warm bath so much that they spend all their time in it and invite all their noble friends along.

The Fire Imps are simply bath attendants.

Elliott_Thinas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2009, 11:07:26 pm »

I actually really like all my nobles. They make the game a bit more challenging and increase the chance of a FUN tantrum spiral, which are awesome to see.
I got me a breeding pair of Han Solos.

Teferi

• Bay Watcher
  • Planeswalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2009, 11:18:05 pm »

Dungeon Masters. They mandate nothing, they do useful stuff, and you can tame dragons with them.

'nuff said
I think it'd be better to just throw him in a pit.
By pit I mean "ledge designated as pit some 30 levels above the ground water magma" and that would,as they say be the end of that.
Unless a sword/axedwarf gets to 'em.. then it's rhesus pieces...

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2009, 12:12:44 am »

Does anybody else think of this guy:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
when DF's dungeon master is mentioned?

McSmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2009, 12:49:40 am »

Wat, no love for the philosopher? You can stuff him in a rough-hewn closet with no door, a pine bed, next to a forge and he won't complain. He'll just hang about and think deep thoughts all day on the topic of free will vs. predestination in a computer game...

I like to give him the best room in the place simply because he doesn't have any requirements . It pisses off the Royals, but they need to learn humility anyway.
Engraved on the wall is a masterfully designed image of elves. The elves are weeping.
Pages: [1] 2