Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Legendary Architect -do you bother?  (Read 2538 times)

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
Re: Legendary Architect -do you bother?
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2009, 07:33:49 pm »

Yeah, I would say a legendary architect and masterpiece buildings is another way to improve every ones mood. Just like having statues, chairs and other fancy stuff in main and submain traffic areas.
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2009, 08:56:45 pm »

It's just a much more space-time consuming process compared to cooking, like something out of star-treck.

Also assumes you've planned your fort very very well.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2009, 12:26:09 am »

Normally when I place things, they stay there for good. Maybe it's just the way I build.
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

Raging Mouse

• Bay Watcher
  • The mouse has become enraged! *DOUBLECLICK*
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2009, 02:56:01 am »

The responses fall about as I'd guessed.

There's one building designed by architects that have yet been named in this thread: shops. Since they are sources of happy thoughts (Urist mcShopper has made a satisfying acquisition lately), and also get visited once in a while, I figure it might be worth it to make them masterwork. What do you think?

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2009, 03:45:38 am »

There's one building designed by architects that have yet been named in this thread: shops. Since they are sources of happy thoughts (Urist mcShopper has made a satisfying acquisition lately), and also get visited once in a while, I figure it might be worth it to make them masterwork. What do you think?
i guess it could be nice to make a bazaar with masterwork shops in some of your hallways? wouldn't it go against the bazaar atmosphere to have nice shops though? doesn't seem particularly inspiring to me. a masterwork trade depot on the other hand is nice to show those elves who's the master race.
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2009, 04:16:17 am »

I train my architect by having him haul stones. Instead of designating stone stockpiles I make hundreds of archery ranges where I want the stone to be.

Raging Mouse

• Bay Watcher
  • The mouse has become enraged! *DOUBLECLICK*
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2009, 06:23:25 am »

i guess it could be nice to make a bazaar with masterwork shops in some of your hallways? wouldn't it go against the bazaar atmosphere to have nice shops though? doesn't seem particularly inspiring to me. a masterwork trade depot on the other hand is nice to show those elves who's the master race.

Nah. The way I see it, designing a shop for maximum clutter is very dwarven.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2009, 06:31:22 am »

Normally when I place things, they stay there for good. Maybe it's just the way I build.

I don't see how this relates to anything that's been said.

No one is suggesting moving anything.  By the end of year two, I hope I have 3 forges (at least) - maybe more if I've splurged on steel anvils. One should have some down-time so I can tear it down and rebuild it right where it is - it's still right where I placed it originally.

(But you should consider using temporary workshops, esp stonecraft/mason.  Perfect for building furniture on locale.)

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2009, 08:33:26 am »

Splurging on steel anvils? Does that mean that iron ones won't work with magma forges?

(Yes, I'm that much of a noob: I still have to build my first magma forge, kiln, furnace, etc)

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2009, 08:52:23 am »

Nah, and it's a legit question - they both work identically.  Which is why paying 3x as much for the steel ones (1000 db vs 3000 db) is a bit of a waste if you're tight on trade goods the first year, and ~IF~ the caravan has iron ones.  Which is that big of an "if" sometimes. 

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2009, 09:36:30 am »

I can see, however, how that becomes a moot point later on, seeing how you might as well buy steel ones if you've got trade goods aplenty.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2009, 09:54:27 am »

Exactly - and if you happen to mood up a metalsmith, you could just make your own with quality mods for the value (the highest value metal item possible, equal to plate armour!)

If you don't have a real machine going, it's hard to buy out that first Autumn caravan. If you can't do that for the second, with trade power to spare, something's gone wrong.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2009, 10:13:49 am »

something's gone wrong.

Or you're still a learner. At least that's the excuse I'm giving.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2009, 12:49:33 pm »

If you have some flux stone (and certainly if you have obsidian) you can pretty much cover an entire caravan worth of goods in a month or a month and a half with a Proficient stonecrafter.  If you toss in a few pieces of reject furniture and mechanisms, it's usually pretty much a lock. (The trick is to buy their pointless stone blocks - you're not buying the block, your buying the lift it gives the caravan).

Buy everything heavy, then buy what you want/what the caravan can lift. (Mugs weigh almost nuthin'.)

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2009, 02:54:18 pm »

You're talking about crafting out of flux? Shouldn't said flux be reserved for steel production?
Pages: 1 [2] 3