Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Legendary Architect -do you bother?  (Read 2536 times)

Raging Mouse

• Bay Watcher
  • The mouse has become enraged! *DOUBLECLICK*
    • View Profile
Legendary Architect -do you bother?
« on: May 24, 2009, 10:31:01 am »

Once I realised buildings designed by architects could have the same kinds of value modifiers as crafts, and that this affects dwarven moods, I did a quick browse of the wiki to find the simplest way to train architects to legendary (which is supports). I trained two of them, but it did involve masses of work (can't mass-assign those supports, now, can you?). In the end, the results were very pleasing, however; I reduced the amount of roads I had to build for the king to arrive to a pittance rather than having to pave my entire surface map with sub-par stonework.

The thought struck me, however: Do you other dwarf players bother with architecture? Please do tell.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
Re: Legendary Architect -do you bother?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2009, 10:31:58 am »

I have had several masterwork water wheels.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2009, 10:34:49 am »

I honestly can say I haven't bothered yet-I like "interesting" maps, and usually the magma, GCSs or other fun things keep me quite occupied. And in the current map, preventing tantrum spirals is a full time job, and my dwarves, to be honest, have the life expectancy of a goldfish what with the hippos, carp (and lemming rushes) elf-led goblin sieges (he killed TWO hippos! At ONCE!), and orc sieges. So nope, not yet.

Edit: What do you mean about it affecting moods though? Do masterwork craftshops produce better artifacts or something?
From Mr. Welch's 1350 things he is not allowed to do in a RPG:
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
171. My character's dying words are not allowed to be "Hastur, Hastur, Hastur"
218. No matter my alignment, organizing halfling pit fights is a violation.
231. I am not allowed to do anything that would make a Sith Lord cry.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2009, 10:36:39 am »

My guess is you have one very hardcore elf.  Elves get hardcore if they have been raised by the forces of darkness.

Bryan Derksen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2009, 10:48:12 am »

I think "mood" just means that dwarves become happy due to admiring a fantastic bridge or whatnot.

I've never noticed an obvious way to check on the workmanship of a building, is there one or do I just have to remember what was built by highly-trained dwarves and and assume it's good?

If an architect builds a masterwork structure, does he get a bad thought when I dismantle it later?

Elliott_Thinas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2009, 12:06:20 pm »

I aim for a legendary architect so I can get that distinctive purple colour. That's just about the only reason. I like a clerk, a trader, an administrator, a mayor and an architect each with their own purple colour.
I got me a breeding pair of Han Solos.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2009, 12:33:05 pm »

I've never noticed an obvious way to check on the workmanship of a building, is there one or do I just have to remember what was built by highly-trained dwarves and and assume it's good?

Instead of remembering, I'd recommend marking them with notes. They make life easier, or in the case of elaborate lever-operated waterworks, less dangerous.

I aim for a legendary architect so I can get that distinctive purple colour. That's just about the only reason. I like a clerk, a trader, an administrator, a mayor and an architect each with their own purple colour.

Speaking of colors, I've got a purple-colored wood-worker and -cutter. He's dressed (in Mayday's set) as an administrator, even though he's never held an office.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2009, 12:35:27 pm by assimilateur »

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2009, 12:33:33 pm »

That's noble purple, by the way.  Most people that color get crushed when the revolution comes.

A masterwork building gets the message "Urist McLegendary has built a masterpeice!"  Zoom to the dude, and he is walking away from a building.

Exponent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2009, 01:09:58 pm »

You can also use the (r)oom menu to determine room quality.  It can be a tedious pain in the ass, but it allows you to see the quality modifier of rooms.  Just use (Enter) on the selected room, and if it was designed by an architect, it should indicate the designer, the builder, and the design quality.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2009, 02:37:01 pm »

I usually build a great wall to keep the goblins out, along with sniper towers in various places which are only accessible from underground. That adds up to a lot of walls, floors, and fortifications. However, I never bothered keeping track of my architects' skills. It doesn't really affect the game in any way, shape or form except value.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2009, 02:48:16 pm »

Umm... Architect is only for the smelters, pumps, trade depots, windmills, supports, waterwheels, and I think that is it.  Did I miss anything?
Ok, so Roads and bridges.
Smelters includes kilns.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2009, 03:45:36 pm by zchris13 »

Exponent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2009, 03:11:22 pm »

Umm... Architect is only for the smelters, pumps, trade depots, windmills, supports, waterwheels, and I think that is it.  Did I miss anything?

Off the top of my head, roads.

Wahad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2009, 03:42:45 pm »

Also Kilns/Magma kilns. Bridges, too.

Lesconrads

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2009, 04:54:29 pm »

Have a dedicated architect this time. He was trained when I embarked ^^... I didn't even know, that it was something useful, but I wanted to try what happens.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2009, 07:12:32 pm »

My "leader" starts w/ at Novice, which is everything needed at embark for the first efforts.

I wait until everything is "stable" (sometime in year 2), and then train my leader up to Proficient or so, and rebuild all my forges/smelters/etc (as they are available).

In the ever-losing race against more and more bad thoughts, it's nice to see the occasional "...admired a fine furnace..." adding to the plus side.

I'm not sure if that's an optimal use of time, but I do know that it's adding to the long-term survivability of the fortress.
Pages: [1] 2 3