Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Supply officer, drill instructor.  (Read 672 times)

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Supply officer, drill instructor.
« on: May 24, 2009, 05:53:24 am »

There have been a few threads bemoaning the difficulty in getting dwarves to use high-quality equipment, even when it is available.

I think the most logical solution to this problem is to introduce a new appointed noble, the Supply Officer (or some such name), whose job is to oversee the allocation of equipment to the military.  They would use the Appraiser skill to judge good equipment, the Record Keeper skill to keep track of it, and the Organizer skill to ensure that each dwarf has good up-to-date equipment, with the best stuff going to the most highly-skilled dwarves.  They might also have an associated screen where the player can make choices about how equipment is distributed (telling dwarves to use whatever is available rather than the best stuff, say, or prioritizing different things -- carried weight verses equipment effectiveness, say.)

The Drill Instructor would be a similar appointed noble who oversees military training.  One of their primary roles would be to ensure that dwarves use weak weapons for training rather than just grabbing whatever's on hand -- a higher management skill helps with this.  Their management skill might reduce sparring accidents in general.  They would also use their Intimidator skill to improve military training when they're present (they'd wander into the barracks and yell at dwarves while they train, or whatever.)

Together, these dwarves would hopefully provide a realistic way to improve the way dwarves use available equipment.
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: Supply officer, drill instructor.
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2009, 06:54:52 am »

Considering how much of the Squads section of the List relates to equipment settings, yeah, having a special position to manage it all might be a good idea.  I'd go with Quartermaster as the position name.

"Commander-led training" and "Associated skills for leading/teaching" are already on the List, so I think Toady already decided that the squad leaders will double as drill instructors.  Hopefully, since squad leaders will be an entity position, it'll be easy to split the instructor-type responsibilities into a seperate position if that becomes necessary.

BigFatDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The irony ... it doesn't burn?
    • View Profile
Re: Supply officer, drill instructor.
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2009, 08:31:16 am »

Maybe the names could go similary to Bookkeeper, as he upgrades.

Here, the more military you'd have (or more skilled), the better the title, etc.

Outfitter -> Supply Officer -> Quartermaster
I loaded up my save in the new version, spent a minute trying to find my archery range before figuring it was the room with Xs down both sides: bins of ammo and archery targets.
Urist McCrossbower cancells practice crossbowery: Unsure of which end of the room to shoot at.