Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Don't suppose anyone has found an embark like this?  (Read 1433 times)

Vanguard Warden

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Don't suppose anyone has found an embark like this?
« on: May 24, 2009, 02:22:08 am »

I'm looking for a location with a magma pipe and chasm-end of an underground river in close proximity (like in the same 3x3 embark). I'd like the underground river to be long enough that I can get a breeding pair of crocs before they get flushed down the end, even if I have to expand my embark to manage it. HFS not necessary for my needs. The magma pipe doesn't NEED to breach the surface (forces me to quarantine the imps anyway), but it'd be nice. I'd prefer a mostly flat area to work with, and while in no way mandatory, I'd be great if a major rock layer was obsidian. Savagery is unimportant as I can get most dangerous animals from the elves instead of traps, but I'd prefer a neutral alignment. I have no use for non-reproducing skeletal creatures.

Now, I've gotten sites like this fairly readily using worldgen manipulation, but this last part has proven seemingly impossible: I NEED access to bauxite. Doesn't have to be on the map, I'm fine with getting it from traders/embarking with it, but it's NEVER AVAILABLE on the worlds I generate with high volcano activity, and the worlds with low activity never have good sites otherwise. I hate working with magma with no fire-proof mechanisms.

Every other possible feature, I don't need. In fact, I'd prefer to not have them get in the way. I like having my only water source underground, and the only chasm I need for my efforts is the small 5x5 pit at the end of a cave river. I realize it's unlikely that my ridiculously specific demands will be met, but maybe someone here got lucky and found something similar at one point.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
Re: Don't suppose anyone has found an embark like this?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2009, 03:27:21 am »

Your gonna have to make a new world, because from the sound of your story you set your volcanism is set to 100/100. Bauxite only occurs on sedimentary layers, which is low on volcanism. If there magma everywhere, then theres bauxite nowhere! Ironic  ;D

You can solve this as follows: set volcanism to 50/100, set the variance to its highest, set the volcanism mesh to its highest grid size, set (0-20) to 1, set (80-100) to 1000, set the rest to 0. Then, set you number of volcanoes at 200 (if your using a large or medium world).

This should still give you a fairy high amouth of vocanism, but you should be able to import bauxite with the right civ.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2009, 03:06:41 pm »

I'll try and generate something.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2009, 03:17:10 pm »

Use the molten rocks mod. It gives realistic melting points for most rocks, causing many of them to become magma-safe. Very useful.

Also, because it affects existing stuff in the raws, you don't need to regen.

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2009, 03:29:44 pm »

I think I found one. Exporting info now.

Okay,
Spoiler: World Gen Parameters (click to show/hide)

Here's a picture of the embark:

I'm not sure if that's the chasm end in there. At most you'll only have to expand the site a little bit. Also, it's magma adjacent. They might even be touching. And the top layer is obsidian. And it's neutral. It's also next to a forest, and the cave river should be long enough to trap the inhabitants if you act quickly enough.

Bauxite is available, as is mudstone. Mudstone makes the best tables. Don't question me.

Did I miss anything?
« Last Edit: May 24, 2009, 03:38:40 pm by inaluct »

Vanguard Warden

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2009, 06:07:35 pm »

Awesome stuff.

See, now this is what I was hoping for. Not at all what I expected to happen, but definitely what I was hoping for. I'll load it up and give it a shot, thanks man.

EDIT: Is this supposed to take hours to generate?
« Last Edit: May 24, 2009, 06:52:27 pm by Vanguard Warden »

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2009, 07:10:29 pm »

It took me forever to gen too. Seriously, I just left it on and went to do something else, so I have no idea how long it actually took. It can't have been more than an hour.

I managed to get another one on a smaller world, but it's 6x6, no obsidian, mostly mountains, and not nearly as cool.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2009, 07:50:13 pm by inaluct »

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2009, 08:06:24 pm »

Bauxite is available, as is mudstone. Mudstone makes the best tables. Don't question me.

Alunite makes better tables than mudstone. The blood from sacrifices shows up better on white surfaces. As does the blood from the raw meat dwarves eat. And the juices from all those berries looted off the elves.

Vanguard Warden

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2009, 08:45:35 pm »

It took me forever to gen too. Seriously, I just left it on and went to do something else, so I have no idea how long it actually took. It can't have been more than an hour.

I managed to get another one on a smaller world, but it's 6x6, no obsidian, mostly mountains, and not nearly as cool.
Yeah, the one you provided works just fine. I'll just keep a backup copy of the save in case I ever feel the need to remake it instead of re-genning. Luckily enough, the pit-end of the river IS the one by the lava pipe, which doesn't break the surface. The pit and the lava pipe are only 20 or so tiles away from each other, maybe less, so you can easily drain the magma pipe into the pit if you want to build inside of it. Also, when embarking with the entire river running along the bottom edge of a 3x3, there's around five cave crocodiles in it for me to acquire, none of which in immediate pit-danger. Also, SAND! The first soil layer of the northern forest biome is white sand. There's an exposed bit of native aluminum right as you start for any statue-making you desire, as well as some gold directly underneath the wagon. The whole area is fairly flat, so it's a nice area to build. all around a great site man.

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2009, 09:07:51 pm »

Thanks. :I