Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Embarking Position Choice  (Read 732 times)

a.random.persona

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Embarking Position Choice
« on: May 24, 2009, 02:12:29 am »

I know you can choose what reigon to embark in, and all of those minor details, but wouldnt It be good if instead of having your wagon automatically placed you actually had a choice of what positions you started off from.

Im sick and tired of embarking in a place to find that my wagon is hudreds of tiles away from the river or volcano. And those times that I embarked and found that I was placed inside a bottomless pit(on the side) and was annihilated by GCS's and Batmen straight away.

Just wondering if anyone else thinks that this is a good idea

Craftling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Embarking Position Choice
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2009, 03:39:28 am »

Good idea.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2009, 11:33:45 am »

And those times that I embarked and found that I was placed inside a bottomless pit(on the side) and was annihilated by GCS's and Batmen straight away.

What?  Really?

BAD ASS.

BigFatDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The irony ... it doesn't burn?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2009, 04:49:10 pm »

And those times that I embarked and found that I was placed inside a bottomless pit(on the side) and was annihilated by GCS's and Batmen straight away.

What?  Really?

BAD ASS.

Nothing compared to volcanos. I embarked near one once and in the first few minutes I saw fireballs flying into the precious wagon and the company of 7 dorfs.

DAMN FIRE IMPS!
I loaded up my save in the new version, spent a minute trying to find my archery range before figuring it was the room with Xs down both sides: bins of ammo and archery targets.
Urist McCrossbower cancells practice crossbowery: Unsure of which end of the room to shoot at.

a.random.persona

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2009, 07:47:30 pm »

Fire Imps are easy to escape from. dwarfs just run. With the GCS's they webbed me as soon as I was in there. I think a cat escaped tho.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2009, 08:08:35 pm »

Fire imps are easy to kill. Running from them just gives them a chance to throw fireballs and burn the surface. Send an untrained recruit in, though, and the vast majority of the time the imp will get wrestled to death.

Amusingly enough, this can happen even if the imp is in magma one z-level below the wrestler at the time...
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

BigFatDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The irony ... it doesn't burn?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2009, 11:29:29 pm »

I was close enough to volcano so they didn't even have to get out. How the hell should mah dorfs wrestle them in the middle of a volcano??

Though now that I think of it, it is a good way to loot elf caravans.
I loaded up my save in the new version, spent a minute trying to find my archery range before figuring it was the room with Xs down both sides: bins of ammo and archery targets.
Urist McCrossbower cancells practice crossbowery: Unsure of which end of the room to shoot at.