Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Most dangerous occupation?  (Read 1728 times)

Cogmeister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Most dangerous occupation?
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2009, 04:46:41 am »

Soapmaker/Cook.

So I had lots of fire imp fat. Then I had lots of fire imp tallow/soap. And lots of burning dwarves.

This was actually completely intentional, but nevermind that >_>

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2009, 04:49:48 am »

It's a toss-up, between...

- Magma tapper
- Adamantine miner
- GCS silk harvester

piesquared

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2009, 09:52:33 am »

Hrm... lets see, non-mood non-fortress-ending-invasion deaths.

1.) "Hunting" - I always turn this off now, because they seem to love finding the most dangerous animal on the map and getting mauled by it.  Also leads to being in the middle of nowhere when the orcs come.
2.) "Fishing" - but only if you handle it poorly.  Seriously, zone-only fishing plus a safe water zone near the military... they don't need to go halfway across the map to fish when what they actually catch are the invisible fish that appear whenever there's water.
3.) "Masonry" - "opps, I designated too many walls at once and forgot to check for stuck masons afterward."  I've also lost 4 between two forts to a stupid glitch (apparently a bridge can't support walls off its edge, but masons think it can and go ahead and build it... and it then instantly falls into the bottomless pit the bridge spans and the placing mason and the guy walking past him decide the only response to this tragic loss of masonry is to... jump in after it?)
4.) "Miner" - I've never actually lost a miner to a flood or magma (got close once with a flood, but he swam to a door and survived) but it's a danger, plus one of them has to breech the HFS.

Anything else... I guess butchery, tanning, and outdoor farming tend to make my dwarves more likely to get in bow range of invaders heading for my entrance before my anti-sniping measures are done, and of course the military will always have casualties, but nothing else strikes me as having risks unique to that profession.

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2009, 10:30:06 am »

df player.
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2009, 10:31:47 am »

Depends where you are-anywhere skeletal stuff be or tropical with a river/lake and fishing automatically becomes the single most dangerous occupation possible. Both makes fishing a death sentence.

Hunters also have a rather SHORT life expectancy...If nobles could be assigned to go hunting for sport, I would tell them to do that. It's that effective at ending a dwarf's life. Much for the same reasons as above, and NOT counting all the other, non-dangerous animal reasons like sieges, ambushes, and whatnot.

My vote, however, must go to the fisherdwarfs.
From Mr. Welch's 1350 things he is not allowed to do in a RPG:
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
171. My character's dying words are not allowed to be "Hastur, Hastur, Hastur"
218. No matter my alignment, organizing halfling pit fights is a violation.
231. I am not allowed to do anything that would make a Sith Lord cry.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2009, 10:35:45 am »

My vote is going to have to go to nonessential nobles such as the consorts.  Mine didn't even last two seasons.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

teta

• Bay Watcher
  • [BENIGN] [SPHERE:WATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2009, 01:01:19 pm »

For me it is mason. Or everyone coming to close to a mega project under construction, be it as hauler or deconstructor. Usual reason is some misplaced wall or deconstruction in the wrong order/missed remaining tile, so that these evil dust clouds spread from a little single-tile cave-in or whatever. Nobody gets smashed by falling stone, but those dust clouds... together with working on a narrow scaffold, maybe 20 z-levels above ground, hilarity ensues. Last fort i lost more than 10 dwarves (actually U's) to plummeting, and only one champion, actually to the common drawbridge (another oversight), and maybe one or two more to ranged ambushers.

Hm, on a second thought: child. IIRC my last fort has also lost horrendous amounts of the little buggers to snatchers... and next to that, children love to deconstruct... plummeting to their death included.
Some mega eye-candy projects:
http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-6018 Human city
http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-6201 Little Star Wars Space Ship

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2009, 02:47:28 pm »

Mechanic.
They tend to be in the wrong place at the wrong time in my experience.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2009, 02:49:24 pm »

Initial 7 (*and their dogs), because nobody else has to deal with fireimps.

Adamantine-demanding Barons. (guess what my 'ery first one was?)

And that bug happens with grates too, btw.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2009, 02:50:58 pm »

Any military dwarf around a recruit with a spear.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2009, 06:35:30 pm »

Hammerer.

Mine always seems to have 'unfortunate' accidents occuring... Just after being assigned a room and having the door mysteriously lock behind them. By the time my dwarves rush to unlock his door, all that is left is a steaming hot war hammer... Dunno what happens to them. *insert disturbing evil laugh here*

Efun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2009, 06:39:21 pm »

My fav custom class,

Carp Killer

Fisherdwarf turned carp killing mad dwarf, truthfully, the never last.
Military dorfs are the busiest if their partner is also in the military, Military children are my forts future, also its hilariously tragic when a mother carrying her child into battle gets hit, and the baby dies....
I fixed that up for you.

Lear

• Bay Watcher
  • IRO-Bot will never die.
    • View Profile
    • the-crowing-is-near on deviantArt.
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2009, 06:40:47 pm »

Definitely Soapmaking.

Prone to 're-education'

Also, lye makers.
Those were the days, The End Complete.
deviantART - My artworks, let me show you them!

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2009, 06:45:47 pm »

In descending order:
Elf Trader (the trade depot mysteriously floods every spring.)
Fortress guard (Sparring accidents)
Useless Noble (Locked in, or magmaed)
Hunter (camels, cougars, and goblins)
Child (deconstruction-related cave-ins)
Miner (cave-ins over magma)
Furnace Operator and Farmer (comprise most of the civillian population)
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2009, 07:06:08 pm »

Miner for me, im kinda sloppy checking for possible cave-ins. Like ramp-carving away with a workshop on top. splat. Or forgetting again that corner-to-corner connection dont hold.

I had one fort where my planters seemed to be cursed or something, I had a about 12 dead dwarves at some point, 6 of which were planters. They just died from dumb random things, obviously not related to their profession. One of them got stuck on the bottom of my magma pipe, somehow NOT dying, just having 'no job'.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!
Pages: 1 [2] 3