Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Realistic suicide behaviour  (Read 1776 times)

shackleton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Realistic suicide behaviour
« on: May 23, 2009, 02:37:34 pm »

Instead of having melancholy dwarves simply meandering about, don't you think it'd be a lot better if they sought out rope to hang themselves with, bridges to jump off, rivers to drown in, cougars to hug and so on?

I thought this'd be relatively simple to add in. Have a set of jobs that are activated when a dwarf becomes melancholy, so the dwarf will go about 'constructing masterwork noose' like he would normally construct any object, or 'seeking tall cliff' in the same manner he'd go find sand for smelting.

Mightymuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Realistic suicide behaviour
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2009, 02:40:05 pm »

I've never seen it actually occur, but I've heard from the wiki that they will actually throw themselves down wells and into magma.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2009, 02:41:49 pm »

It really depends.

I don't think they actually commit suicide actively. I always was under the interpretation that they just don't care what happens to them so they have no problem simply walking off cliffs.

Mount

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2009, 03:18:48 pm »

Urist McEmodorf cancels suicide: No rope.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2009, 04:29:05 pm »

this should be implemented AFTER a more realistic verison of happiness/sadness is implemented. I don't need my hair trigger emo dwarfs killing themselves AND wasting rope at the same time.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2009, 04:49:26 pm »

Except we get Gallows first i think.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Kishmond

• Bay Watcher
  • What the pfargtl?
    • View Profile
    • My DF Stories blog.
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2009, 05:13:10 pm »

I've had melancholy dwarfs jump off cliffs a bunch of times.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2009, 05:15:59 pm »

During the Epic Flood of my last fortress, almost all of my dwarfs had become melancholy or insane (the ample supply of war dogs kept the number of beserkers down).  One of my melans did end up in a pool... that was actually back in the fortress.  It was 4 deep, so he became a swimmer.  Eventually died of thirst.

Actually, I kinda suspect he was thrown by a tantrumming wrestler.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2009, 05:30:03 pm »

Some melancholy dwarves will try to commit suicide by jumping off of cliffs. Unfortunately, their definition of "cliff" is "any open space with a floor next to it", which leads to things like dwarves repeatedly jumping into your 1-z-level-deep moat, since it doesn't harm them in the slightest.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2009, 05:33:44 pm »

Some melancholy dwarves will try to commit suicide by jumping off of cliffs. Unfortunately, their definition of "cliff" is "any open space with a floor next to it", which leads to things like dwarves repeatedly jumping into your 1-z-level-deep moat, since it doesn't harm them in the slightest.
Mine didn't bother, and neither did the tradesmen I sent to melancholy :(.

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2009, 06:24:29 pm »

One of my melans did end up in a pool... that was actually back in the fortress.  It was 4 deep, so he became a swimmer.  Eventually died of thirst.
:D I dont even see how thats physicaly possible, hilarious none the less!

Craftling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2009, 09:51:11 pm »

Ive had a dwarf jump down a well when the magma floodgate had been open into the well.
He is now dead

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2009, 12:48:20 am »

I've had melancholy dwarfs jump off cliffs a bunch of times.

Sometimes the same dwarf and the same cliff.

RavingManiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2009, 03:47:36 am »

I think dwarves should jump off cliffs only when the cliff is more than 2 -levels high, or is above magma/water.
Thief:"Quiet kitty, Qui-"
Cat:"THIEF! Protect the hoard from the skulking filth!"
The resulting party killed 20 dwarves, crippled 2 more and the remaining 9 managed to get along and have a nice party.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2009, 02:23:53 pm »

I've had a dwarf jump into my water supply. I've also seen one bug where dwarves swim around in it and not die despite never having food.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.
Pages: [1] 2