Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Suggestion: Presidential Pardon  (Read 2569 times)

Arathiel

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Suggestion: Presidential Pardon
« on: May 23, 2009, 01:54:29 pm »

Be gentle, this is my first post.  This may have been suggested before, but I think it would be a cool feature to be able to lobby for a presidential pardon. 

This would be the only way you could drop the heat of a life imprisonment.  There should be limitations, obviously, like only being available to really high profile (200+ juice?  500+?  founder?) members.  And once you began lobbying for it, it would be hard to get, depending on the president's alignment, and the public's opinion of the LCS (are they in the streets holding rallies for you?).  Shoot, maybe even make certain sleepers (musicians?  journalists?) able to influence it (see: bob dylan, Hurricane). 

It would also have to not be spammable... maybe limit the whole LCS to just one or a couple pardons... I'm sure the president's patience would start to wear thin, liberal or not.  Thoughts?

Jetman123

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Bauxite Turbojet!!
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestion: Presidential Pardon
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2009, 07:18:21 am »

There really should be some consequences against The Man for arresting or attacking members of a really well liked LCS. Riots, presidential pardons, hell, even a full blown revolution if the LCS is all but destroyed or members of the LCS are killed unfairly.

Later on when the issue of acceptable use of force and secondary weapons is in, it should be a seriously, seriously controversial topic that will result in lots of hate against the police for shooting wounded LCS members. (Seriously, once someone is on the ground and harmless, it's completely unreasonable to keep shooting them until they die. That's not how police are supposed to work. Hell, that's not how the MILITARY is supposed to work.)

The LCS should be a bit harder to get to that level of well-likedness, though, to balance it out.
When dwarves want to commit suicide, then by Armok, they _will_ commit suicide, even if they have to spend the rest of their lives working at it!

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2009, 10:48:56 am »

Aren't pardons supposed to be given out in case a person, you know, is considered to be not guilty by the President? Or that the President gets the imprisoned person to sign a statement stating he'll never commit terrorism again?

Getting out of jail is easy with a good lawyer. I'm somewhat against the idea of pardons.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2009, 10:51:59 am »

Pardons can be given out regardless of whether a person is guilty and regardless of whether the presidents believes they are guilty.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Ramidel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2009, 11:26:54 am »

Pardons are such a Conservative way of doing things, though. They're used to keep corrupt politicians out of jail, not honest liberals.

Jetman123

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Bauxite Turbojet!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2009, 04:20:19 pm »

The President has the power to declare that an individual or individuals were, for whatever reason, acting in their or the state's best interest, and are as such totally innocent of the crime mentioned in the pardon.

A L+ president who looks fondly on the LCS would be likely to give members one of these towards the endgame.
When dwarves want to commit suicide, then by Armok, they _will_ commit suicide, even if they have to spend the rest of their lives working at it!

LiteralKa

• Bay Watcher
  • LCS Developer
    • View Profile
    • My Website!
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2009, 04:29:18 pm »

The President has the power to declare that an individual or individuals were, for whatever reason, acting in their or the state's best interest, and are as such totally innocent of the crime mentioned in the pardon.

A L+ president who looks fondly on the LCS would be likely to give members one of these towards the endgame.
Presidents give them like hotcakes in their last days.
LCS developer, insomniac, writer.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2009, 12:45:15 am »

How about have the option available the last month before the next election, with a max of 1 pardon for the LCS per term. That way it's relatively rare, but common enough to be a viable game goal.

And how about the option to bribe for the pardon? For both L and C. Seems like all the recent real life presidents pardon big lists of random people right before they're out of office on their last term, and it makes you wonder if they're getting bribes. So why not make bribery available. It'd be something to use all your money on :)
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

LiteralKa

• Bay Watcher
  • LCS Developer
    • View Profile
    • My Website!
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2009, 08:20:23 am »

How about have the option available the last month before the next election, with a max of 1 pardon for the LCS per term. That way it's relatively rare, but common enough to be a viable game goal.

And how about the option to bribe for the pardon? For both L and C. Seems like all the recent real life presidents pardon big lists of random people right before they're out of office on their last term, and it makes you wonder if they're getting bribes. So why not make bribery available. It'd be something to use all your money on :)
Why just the last month? Why not it just being more common towards the end of a term?

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2009, 12:50:02 pm »

Because if you do it at the last month, you can ensure that the Pardon script gets triggered at politics.ccp.

You could set it up so that, at the last month before the next election, the pardon script runs, and if LCS popularity is high, the President is Liberal enough, and/or if you pay the necessary "donation" to the Presidental Museum, the President issues a general anmensty, freeing all people from prison and sending them right over to the Homeless Shelter.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2009, 01:39:20 pm »

Presidents give out the pardons when they're leaving office, and could frankly care less what anyone thinks of them anymore.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2009, 02:22:02 pm »

Well, I know I could set that a President currently serving a Second Term could consider pardons, but I don't know how to set it up so that a unpopular President serving a First Term who will not be able to run again would be able to consider a Pardon.

Arathiel

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2009, 01:32:18 am »

Getting out of jail is easy with a good lawyer. I'm somewhat against the idea of pardons.

One reason I suggested it was as a possible, if difficult, way to get rid of 'escaped from jail' heat.  I don't believe any lawyer can get you out of that.

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2009, 03:09:48 am »

Well, I know I could set that a President currently serving a Second Term could consider pardons, but I don't know how to set it up so that a unpopular President serving a First Term who will not be able to run again would be able to consider a Pardon.

if popularity = <30
   consider pardon
else
   do not consider pardon

?

LiteralKa

• Bay Watcher
  • LCS Developer
    • View Profile
    • My Website!
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2009, 10:16:34 am »

if popularity = <30
   consider pardon
else
   do not consider pardon

?

Definately not. Though, pardons may be more likely if the President realizes that they are screwed either way...