Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The Real-Life Police Brutality Thread  (Read 3274 times)

LiteralKa

• Bay Watcher
  • LCS Developer
    • View Profile
    • My Website!
The Real-Life Police Brutality Thread
« on: May 23, 2009, 11:04:36 am »

People shot dead by cops in the U.S. - Find some interesting ones and sum them up or just discuss Police Brutality in any way you see fit.
(Basically, this thread is to help develop flavou?r[regex joke] text for news stories, etc.)

Prison Deaths are fine too.

Some more places to look:

Fred Hampton - Killed by law enforcement, including the FBI in his apartment because he was a prominent figure in the BPP.
Henry Dumas - An African-American poet, murdered by a white New York City Transit Authority due to `mistaken identity'.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2009, 03:37:03 pm by LiteralKa »
LCS developer, insomniac, writer.

jaked122

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Lurker tendancies]
    • View Profile
Re: The Real-Life Police Brutality Thread
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2009, 02:00:11 pm »

this really shouldn't have been brought up. these are just accidental shootings, the cops weren't(to my knowledge) trying to kill them intentionally..

LiteralKa

• Bay Watcher
  • LCS Developer
    • View Profile
    • My Website!
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2009, 02:14:34 pm »

this really shouldn't have been brought up. these are just accidental shootings, the cops weren't(to my knowledge) trying to kill them intentionally..
*Most* of them are accidental, mind you. But all the same, we (in my opinion, there can never be too much flavor text) need more police-related flavor text.

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2009, 03:26:01 pm »

Quote from: Death of Tasered teen still under investigation
death of a Dow teenager who was shocked several times with Tasers by two Jerseyville police officers...

...indicated that 17-year-old Roger Holyfield died of natural causes “as a result of an episode of excited delirium.”
>:(

LiteralKa

• Bay Watcher
  • LCS Developer
    • View Profile
    • My Website!
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2009, 03:53:10 pm »

Quote from: Death of Tasered teen still under investigation
death of a Dow teenager who was shocked several times with Tasers by two Jerseyville police officers...

...indicated that 17-year-old Roger Holyfield died of natural causes “as a result of an episode of excited delirium.”
>:(
The contrast of that smiley with your profile image is disturbing...

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2009, 04:00:32 pm »

I have a very bad feeling that "elected police officers" isn't going to deal with the main issue in question, how to arrest someone who is resisitng.

I may not be creative but I don't see how this thread is going to provide any flavor text. It might sprial into debates over police behavior, which isn't going to do any good.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2009, 04:02:40 pm by Servant Corps »
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

LiteralKa

• Bay Watcher
  • LCS Developer
    • View Profile
    • My Website!
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2009, 04:09:58 pm »

I have a very bad feeling that "elected police officers" isn't going to deal with the main issue in question, how to arrest someone who is resisitng.

I may not be creative but I don't see how this thread is going to provide any flavor text. It might sprial into debates over police behavior, which isn't going to do any good.
Well, debates will certainly produce good points on the issues, potentially to be used in game. And previous incidents are a good precedent for news stories in game.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2009, 05:13:27 pm »

Actually, I would think it would do a great deal to help this, in so far as it would help instill a sense of accountability (rather than at best liability) for police actions, and could help reduce tribal loyalty; the lovely mentality whereby increasingly drastic amounts of risk to "suspects" is justifiable if they provide any degree of increased safety (or even reduced liability) to police. The major issue with e.g., excessively low tazing thresholds is that police act in such a manner to reduce their personal risk to as close to zero as possible, which in effect means increasing civilian risk. It's not perforce zero-sum, but it does tend in that direction. If the distinction between citizen and police can be made less rigid, there is less incentive to value the safety of the latter over that of the former.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2009, 05:30:53 pm »

The problem is that police officers have to worry about completing their job, i.e., arresting someone who is resisiting.

If a police officer gets elected, he has to complete this important job. If he does not, there will be a bloc of people against him...meaning he get kicked out of office and replaced by a police officer who will complete this job. There is more of an incentive for that police officer to "clean up the streets", so as to gain popularity and votes...knowing full well that if he doesn't, he will get blamed for it and will lose his job.

Never mind. I can't explain my opposition at the moment, bah.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2009, 05:32:42 pm by Servant Corps »
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

LiteralKa

• Bay Watcher
  • LCS Developer
    • View Profile
    • My Website!
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2009, 05:33:22 pm »

The problem is that police officers have to worry about completing their job, i.e., arresting someone who is resisiting.

If a police officer gets elected, he has to complete this important job. If he does not, there will be a bloc of people against him...meaning he get kicked out of office and replaced by a police officer who will complete this job.

Code: [Select]
               case LAW_POLICEBEHAVIOR:
                  if(won==-1)addstr("Policing is administered by corporations and has a draft.");
                  else if(law[l]==ALIGN_ARCHCONSERVATIVE)
                     addstr("Law enforcement is given free reign.");
                  else if(law[l]==-1)addstr("Law enforcement is lightly regulated.");
                  else if(law[l]==0)addstr("Law enforcement is moderately regulated.");
                  else if(law[l]==1)addstr("Law enforcement is strictly controlled.");
                  else addstr("All law enforcement positions are subject to election and recall.");
                  break;
« Last Edit: May 23, 2009, 05:35:50 pm by LiteralKa »

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2009, 05:37:18 pm »

That is exactly what I am referring to. As police officers are elected officals, they HAVE to try and complete their job or get kicked out by an electorate. This assumes that there won't be any ballot stuffing, criminal organizations bankrolling the police officers' election campagins, police officers ignoring parking violations to get more popular, etc.

If a police officer lets a criminal gets loose or escape, the people will get angry at him and will recall the officer and replace him with another officer.

LiteralKa

• Bay Watcher
  • LCS Developer
    • View Profile
    • My Website!
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2009, 05:38:22 pm »

That is exactly what I am referring to. As police officers are elected officals, they HAVE to try and complete their job or get kicked out by an electorate. This assumes that there won't be any ballot stuffing, criminal organizations bankrolling the police officers' election campagins, police officers ignoring parking violations to get more popular, etc.

If a police officer lets a criminal gets loose or escape, the people will get angry at him and will recall the officer and replace him with another officer. And if a police officer gets accused of torturing a person from a minority group, he'll only lose that small minority vote, but he's going to always lose that minority vote in the first place...so he has no incentive to pander to them.

But they're (arguably) going to be angrier if they beat the living shit out of someone.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2009, 06:03:14 pm »

Elections would (presumably, hopefully) result in more concern for means as well as ends, as well as less of an us-vs-them mentality. If the police are made up of citizens whose tenure can be terminated by recall (upon e.g. accidentally (or "accidentally") killing a suspect posing disproportionally little threat to them), rather than an entrenched vocational class, their interests will be different. Also, by making them beholden to the electorate rather than City Hall for their continued employment, their motivations will again be shifted.

It's not a flawless mechanism, but in any case is more democratic. Certain types of corruption will be introduced, but others will be eliminated. It's not perfect, but nothing in politics is.
Pages: [1] 2