Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ability to preset building options prior to building completion  (Read 889 times)

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/

This suggestion is to enable new (b)uildings, furniture, and other placed objects with options to have their pre-construction interface include a key that will open up the options that are normally available only after the building is completed. For example, when placing beds in a bedroom area, the unconstructed beds can be immediately set as a bedroom even before they are placed. Doing this will save the player time and focus as they are able to lay out their initial plans without having to unpause the game and wait for the building, or buildings, to be completed.

In combination with this suggestion regarding placing buildings in designated but unmined areas, this will allow the player to plan out an entire bedroom community or other area, from mining designations to room assignments and initial build queues, all at once.

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ability to preset building options prior to building completion
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2009, 06:29:35 am »

Also, let the player determine the state that multiple-state mechanical things will be in when placed -- for instance, let them place a drawbridge that will start out raised, or (most importantly) a floodgate that will start out open.

Floodgates can very easily trap and starve dwarves when placed.  With the option to have them start out open, that would be much easier to avoid.
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2009, 10:39:11 pm »

About the only thing I'd want to say about that is that it'd make the floodgate possibly hard to find later.

But that's pretty minor, there are ways. So.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2009, 11:55:46 pm »

About the only thing I'd want to say about that is that it'd make the floodgate possibly hard to find later.

But that's pretty minor, there are ways. So.
It would appear on the list for link-lever-to-floodgate, which is the only time you need to find it.
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

BigFatDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The irony ... it doesn't burn?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2009, 08:38:55 am »

This would really cut the time needed to set up anything. Because now you need to constanly supervise the project, planning one step at a time, while with this function, you could plan it all in whole, then go doing something else while the dorfs work,  like planning an elf-greeting machine.
I loaded up my save in the new version, spent a minute trying to find my archery range before figuring it was the room with Xs down both sides: bins of ammo and archery targets.
Urist McCrossbower cancells practice crossbowery: Unsure of which end of the room to shoot at.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2009, 12:54:31 pm »

Should require a manager.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

BigFatDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The irony ... it doesn't burn?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2009, 04:44:47 pm »

Should require a manager.

Yeah, good idea. What should we name him, Chief Architect or something like that?
I loaded up my save in the new version, spent a minute trying to find my archery range before figuring it was the room with Xs down both sides: bins of ammo and archery targets.
Urist McCrossbower cancells practice crossbowery: Unsure of which end of the room to shoot at.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2009, 07:14:15 pm »

No. Like the manager dwarf.  Manage Work Orders job?
It should require him to do a job for it to work properly.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned