Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 75% of military not picking up plate...  (Read 930 times)

dieinafire

• Bay Watcher
  • needs alcohol to get through the day.
    • View Profile
75% of military not picking up plate...
« on: May 23, 2009, 12:13:26 am »

so i have piles of 10 sets of each:

helm
plate mail
leggings
low boot
gauntlets
shields

now, 100% of them will pick up their shields when told to. however, only a few pick of plate mail. they are nekked, so no probs with other clothing. and even then, they wont pick up a full set. help?

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=1040
ps - mayday version

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
Re: 75% of military not picking up plate...
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2009, 12:39:35 am »

Well, I was able to get all but 2 of them to pick up full sets, Erith and Mafol refused to pick up what was left(surprisingly, there wasn't enough left for a full set for both of them).
Take all the dwarves out of squads first, if that doesn't work, take them off duty, 3 of them generate the job immediatly after setting them to plate with that save, and after taking them out of squads the rest did as well.
Also, just so ya know, chain leggings are 'chain' armor, not 'plate' armor, that's greaves, but dwarves will still pick up the chain leggings anyway when set to plate.

As for your last 2 dwarves, I don't know, but I do remember that this fort had bugs before, hahah.

dieinafire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2009, 08:15:31 am »

nope, fails. dammit. this is not cool.

AncientEnemy

• Bay Watcher
  • The Answer is always POUR MAGMA ON IT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2009, 08:23:41 am »

try setting them to no armor, wait till they ditch it all (and it gets hauled back to the stockpile), then set them to chain, wait for them to suit up, then set them to plate.

dieinafire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2009, 08:35:39 am »

yeah i thought about that.

i'm going to melt everything down, have her remake 10 sets, make piles for each piece, and see if they go to each pile. if not, will upload that save and say "wtf, halp" again.

AncientEnemy

• Bay Watcher
  • The Answer is always POUR MAGMA ON IT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2009, 08:40:12 am »

well, after doing what i just said i got the same result as smew, erith and mafol will not obey. no idea why. probably best to just get a couple new recruits and burn those two alive for their insolence.

dieinafire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2009, 08:50:06 am »

well, after doing what i just said i got the same result as smew, erith and mafol will not obey. no idea why. probably best to just get a couple new recruits and burn those two alive for their insolence.

activating tweak tile edit as we speak.

actually, i prefer to turn them to absolute zero more than 65535. did it once, then lost my entire courtyard to a brush fire w/o knowing till 3 seasons later. and with absolute zero, i've noticed frozen corpses shatter or melt away, rather than decompose. crazy. killed a bunch of annoying pets that way. their bodies disappeared before the dwarves could get to them to toss em.

dieinafire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2009, 11:37:46 pm »

ok, so it's been a week. i've melted all the old bugged armor, and did some MAJOR stuff to my fortress. seriously, this fortress is my perfection i think. i know, i need an army, thats next. but i am still afraid to try to recruit (sp?) and try the armor thing again.

other than that, this place is pimp. the southern route is the "path of gold", all gold paving and walls/pillars. the northern route is the "path of platinum", same. the east route seems to be the most used, so i made that the "path of adamantine". now, to get from the west, you have to take the rugged "path of iron" to get to the path of gold. basically, i carved the mountain up so that you HAVE to take a path to get to me, or fall in lava. i can't wait to see this in DF 3D. i personally like the way you can see the landing into my fortress from the lava river from the south. i keep thinking of it in real life. i think it would be cool.

so, other than trying to soldier again, what am i missing? inb4 hax, cheater, whatever troll post you can think of.

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=1059

(mayday mod used due to little pics better understood than symbols)

loopoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2009, 07:02:09 am »

I'm sorry, but it seems to me you mess around a lot with Reveal and other utilities. I'm guessing this because you throw away gold, adamantine and platinum on paving walls, so obviously you've cheated to get that much stuff.

That's your answer. Whenever I use reveal too much, or mess around with tiles, it fucks up the game. Sometimes my Dwarves will randomly incinerate when walking on a tile, etc. etc.

Start over, or just don't have an army. No doubt you'll run into more problems though.

loopoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2009, 07:15:49 am »

Wow, what is the point in you playing? You've just procured everything you've needed out of nothing. It's pointless, because no doubt you're bored stiff now, because you've cheated your way to the top...I think it ruins the point of the game, and no doubt you're eagerly waiting for a siege so you can not be bored. Though, even sieges would be boring because ALL YOUR DWARVES are INSANELY STRONG.

I say you should start over and just play normally. All I ever do is change Alunite into the main rock type, because it annoys me when I have different rock types of different colours. Also, you'd enjoy it much more when you play normally!

So yeah, no doubt it's because you've fucked up with the game so much that it's gone ca-plunk.

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2009, 09:05:34 am »

You know, I have always thought the different rocks were cool, and take every opportunity to increase the variety. Have you ever been in a cave, and gotten to see the boarders between different rock types? Or the layers or rock colored in grays, browns, and colors that you wouldn't expect. I think of what microcline and a few other rocks crystalline forms look like, and it's fun to imagine walking down a hallway and seeing the transition from one rock to another.
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2009, 09:20:28 am »

Yeah. In truth, real-life microline is quite pale in color (so you can't use it as a weapon to blind someone with, as a matter of fact). And stibinite...well, a rough wall of that would be a wall of awesome when it got illuminated.  Personally, I'm rather fond of the way ore veins add color to a mined out room. I almost *never* pave my floors, and just leave them as they are. Sometimes I do pave dirt floors, but that's to a) get rid of my excess blocks (so many...), b)  increase wealth.
From Mr. Welch's 1350 things he is not allowed to do in a RPG:
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
171. My character's dying words are not allowed to be "Hastur, Hastur, Hastur"
218. No matter my alignment, organizing halfling pit fights is a violation.
231. I am not allowed to do anything that would make a Sith Lord cry.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.

dieinafire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2009, 10:24:00 pm »

Wow, what is the point in you playing?

i take it you didn't see the whole "inb4 troll, hacker, cheater" footnote, eh?

well, i appreciate you telling me how to play the game, and your hypothesis on my mood while playing (bored? right?) is not quite accurate, i really just wanted any insight as to why it was happening. but i guess i should of seen the "do the right thing" wag-of-the-finger lesson coming. grats loopoo, you've shamed me. i may have used reveal, but i never kept a running game afterwards. i always wrote down locations of ore, ended process, restarted last save, dug to vein. soooo, reveal WAS used, but not kept track of in-game.

eh, no army it is then. i tried again, with new armor, and with each dwarf being out of squads and off/on duty fails. but no biggie. i wanna see what happens when they take on elves bearing the masterful adamantine weapons and naked.

and if anyone else wants to see my shameful use of this game, it's here.
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=1067
« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 10:26:14 pm by dieinafire »