Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Elf questions  (Read 1102 times)

Lummox JR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • BYOND
Elf questions
« on: May 22, 2009, 10:34:57 pm »

I have a few lingering questions about elves. First, I know they now accept bone items and don't mind stuff with blood on it. What about leather, though? I have a really good leatherworker and it seems like a waste not to trade that stuff with the elves, plus it's an excuse to get rid of all that goblin crap.

Second, I was wondering about the whole diplomat problem. In 251 they sent an envoy to tell me I had disrespected the trees. I read on the forums somewhere that keeping the traders very happy would prevent the diplomat from doing much about this, so I made an offering to the traders. In 252 their diplomat tried to talk me into a 100-tree limit for the year (the fortress is in a heavily wooded area) and the duke said no. The diplomat said oh well, we just don't see eye to eye--he seemed to think that was witty--and left it at that. I made a rather large offering to the new batch of traders as well. (Frankly I'm happy to get rid of all the stone crafts anyway. I have a lot of them.) What should I expect from this point? Are they going to keep pressuring me, or will they try a siege, or does satiating the traders stave off all such problems?

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
Re: Elf questions
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2009, 10:43:25 pm »

Just saying no works, by the way.
You don't have to unload on them.  Better to unload on the Dwarves, they can carry that crap anyway.

They take bone? mm...
I don't think they take anything that was at one point alive.
They siege if you:
A. Kill the diplomat
B. Say you will respect the trees, and don't
C. Magma.
D. Be at war already.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2009, 11:29:24 pm »

There usually aren't consequences for refusing the diplomat's request or intentionally breaking it. The elves still come, if slightly angrier, but they will still be more than happy to take your cheap rock junk.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2009, 05:28:12 am »

I'm trying to keep them happy to see if they bring in any exotic animals (hopefully without hideous spinal injuries).

Lummox JR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • BYOND
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2009, 10:01:49 am »

I think the fact that I offered their paltry caravan something last year--they sold me only two pages' worth of stuff--enticed them to bring a bigger one this time around. By this point they've brought me two black bears, unfortunately both male.

zcrhis, per the wiki they do now take bone, and I've verified that in my trading. In fact they consistently are happy with the skull totems I give them, and anything decorated with bone. I have however avoided glass because apparently they dislike all glass (not just clear), and leather because I don't know if they have a problem with leather.

Of course I also take care to avoid offending the humans, if that's even possible. In 251 their caravan was slaughtered by the siege that showed up at the same time. I'm sure I must've sold their 252 caravan some of their own stuff back, but I made sure not to sell them any of the human skull totems (albeit of exceptional or masterful quality) since I figured that'd be tacky. I'm a lot more generous to the humans though since they bring me better stuff, and they're happy to take my master chefs' prepared meals--some of which are valued in five figures.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2009, 10:44:52 am »

hah, only 5 figures? A paltry sum!  :P
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Lummox JR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • BYOND
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2009, 05:46:55 pm »

Now this is weird. In 252 I rejected the elf diplomat's request to cut the tree-felling to 100 per year. Nothing came of it. In 253 the caravan came back lighter (that may be unrelated), and the elf diplomat returned to... ask again to restrict tree-felling to 100 per year. Do they do this every year or what?

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2009, 06:10:30 pm »

Now this is weird. In 252 I rejected the elf diplomat's request to cut the tree-felling to 100 per year. Nothing came of it. In 253 the caravan came back lighter (that may be unrelated), and the elf diplomat returned to... ask again to restrict tree-felling to 100 per year. Do they do this every year or what?

Yes, they do. It usually doesn't bother me much because by the time they start doing that, I have more wood than I'll ever need. And if I do need more, the caravans bring plenty.

Jhoosier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://wilcotangofoxtrot.blogspot.com
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2009, 11:16:57 pm »

They take bone? mm...

They do now.  I accidentally unloaded some bone stuff on them and there was no problem.  To think I spent half the time before that making sure they didn't get anything with blood on it, either.

Then I got crazy with the clicking and gave them a wooden scepter.  They still won't accept anything wooden.  I think I've passed off lots of leather on them, though.  I'm getting tired of goblins, going to try offing the caravans til they attack.

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2009, 06:14:51 am »

They DO take leather. Just make sure the goblin stuff isn't decorated with wood, or you'll be in for a surprise.
From Mr. Welch's 1350 things he is not allowed to do in a RPG:
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
171. My character's dying words are not allowed to be "Hastur, Hastur, Hastur"
218. No matter my alignment, organizing halfling pit fights is a violation.
231. I am not allowed to do anything that would make a Sith Lord cry.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2009, 07:24:59 am »

Elves are now cannibalistic animal-raping savages, they'll take anything that didn't come out of a Tree.

Lummox JR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • BYOND
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2009, 12:45:54 pm »

They DO take leather. Just make sure the goblin stuff isn't decorated with wood, or you'll be in for a surprise.

Ah, thanks. In that case next spring I can unload a ton of useless crap onto them.

I've already been checking decorations to be safe--a few of my stone objects are decorated with glass, so I've had to be careful with those.