Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Haunted Dwarf Fort (Game Proposal)  (Read 4013 times)

rickvoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Haunted Dwarf Fort (Game Proposal)
« on: May 22, 2009, 04:22:16 pm »

Have any of you guys played Haunted Mansion before?

The basic principles are:
- Big House (Mansion) to explore, consisting of multiple rooms, hallways, locked doors, death traps, etc.
- Large group of players: Some are Pro-Town, some are Neutral, some Win Alone, and others are Killers.

The game takes place in two phases:
- Movement is the first phase. Each player posts in thread what room they want to move to. (Move: Lounge, for example) So long as the room is accessible (not locked, sealed off, what-have-you) you can go there. You are allowed to move as many times as you want, but once the phase ends, you are stuck in that room until the end of the next phase.
- Action is the second phase. All in-thread chatter ends (I'll probably just lock it) and you pm your actions for the round. They can be anything from "Look for a weapon" to "Stab Frank is the back" to "Pull the lever!". Once all actions have been received, they are played out and everything your character is made of aware of gets pm'd to you. Play then resumes with another movement phase.

This goes on until there is a clear winner or winners. I have had fun playing this elsewhere, and it occured to me today that we have, right here, the perfect medium for such a game.

Dwarf Fortress.
Dark tunnels. Locked doors. Dead ends. Traps. Un-labeled levers. MAGMA.

I've already got several ideas for this, I just haven't had time to "build" a fort in my head and get it down somewhere. I intend to combine as many of the good points of both fortress and adventure mode, while eliminating some stupidity: In fortress mode, my dwarves carry one, thing, at, a, time. In Adventure, you can hold an unlimited number of objects in one hand. Obviously we need something in between.

Things that may or may not appear in this game:
- HFS!
- Dwarven Nuclear Physics!
- More HFS!
- Water/Magma-falls!
- Drowning Chambers!
- Suicide Booths!
- Carp in the Well!
- Microline!
- AN AMBUSH! CURSE THEM!

I could use somebody experienced in running games to bounce ideas off of/ maybe co-GM. Let me know if anybody is interested.

Wild Goose

• Bay Watcher
  • My Avatar Has Something Green. Yay solidarity!
    • View Profile
Re: Haunted Dwarf Fort (Game Proposal)
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2009, 04:25:52 pm »

Hey, this sounds like it could be fun.  I'd be interested in playing.
"Adventurer's Motto; Take everything not nailed down and nail down whoever tries to stop you."

"Whatever happens, we have got the ballista and they have not."

The dwarven economy is just a stand-in, from what I understand. As it is, it represents an actual economic system about as well as poison ivy represents a salad.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2009, 05:29:55 pm »

I just got shot in my last mafia game, so I need something new lol
This sounds good
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2009, 05:51:16 pm »

I'd definitely play this with a vengeance, or something.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2009, 05:52:45 pm »

I just got my head removed in my last mafia game, let's do this!
Even the avatars expire eventually.

rickvoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2009, 07:11:19 pm »

Excellent. I'd need more than this (bigger the better here) but I'm gonna throw some ideas around now.

Usually, it's closed as to what is actually going to be in the game, but I am totally new at this. So lets get started. Suggestions, as always, appreciated.

Note: Some of my favorite ideas will not be listed here. Just so ya all know.

Anyway, some (read: most) players will have a role of some type. Unlike in Mafia, vanilla townie (read: Useless Peasant/Soaper) will only be a few dwarves. So here's the roles I have blatantly stolen from our favorite game brainstormed all by myself:

Useless Peasant: The base for all roles. Peasants can carry four items at a time, not counting armor pieces (if worn) or weapons (if wielded). No idea on damage yet, though I'll probably steal one of the methods from a RTD. Have no bonuses, but win if they survive.
Hammerer: Judge, Jury, Executioner. Begins the game with a copper warhammer, because the Player took his good one away at the start of the game. Gains points (?) by killing criminals, loses points (?) by killing innocents. Or maybe not. The hammerer just likes to kills things, really. He wins if if he survives, and the nobles retain power.
Philosopher: Priest of Armok? Healing abilities? Other stuff I'm thinking about but totally not gonna spoil? Perhaps.
Dungeon Master: Needs D&D jokes galore. Can smith armor and weapons if has material and a forge. A full suit of armor should keep him busy for 1d6 rounds, and a weapon 1d4. Subject to change. Probably.
Hauler: A slightly more useful Peasant. Years of carrying heavy things all the time has taught him how to manage his inventory, and he has two (more?) extra slots.
Military Dwarf/Fortress Guard/Royal Guard: Start with a weapon type of the players choice. Has armor. Numbers should be limited (which won't be an issue). Know each other as being in the military/fort guard/royal guard.
Nobles (Baron, Baron-Consort): Whiny nobles. Win if they don't die, or if they manage to retain their power till the end. (Posting restriction: Must make all suggestions sound like commands?)
Cook/Brewer: Can cook! And brew! Wee. Perhaps they win if they poison someone? Or create a legendary brew/meal? ...Or both?

I'm leaving out my enemy ideas, because they're horribly cruel and I want to subject you to them.  ;D

Anyway, I think I'll be writing the "Stuff is Happening" official post as the player watching the game from outside.
Because it popped in my head an hour ago and I'm still laughing about it.  :D
Maybe written like I'm posting about the weirdness that's going on in game, on the questions section of the forums.

I'm really, really looking forward to this now. Suggestions appreciated. I'll try to include alot of the forum jokes as mechanical stuff in game, so feel free to throw those out too.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2009, 07:14:39 pm »

Make the Philosopeher's job to claim a bedroom for himself. Seriously, it'd be funny.

Urist: I'm out to kill you all! MWHAHA
Cog: HAMMER TIME!
Bembul: Must not die, must not die.
Phil: Where can I steal a bed?

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2009, 07:18:08 pm »

What about making it so the Cook and Brewer can create healing items?

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2009, 07:33:46 pm »

Im in.

There should be a goblin/kobold spy too.

rickvoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2009, 07:34:26 pm »

What about making it so the Cook and Brewer can create healing items?

SOLD!

I like that, actually. You'd need ingredients, of course, but there's plenty of those lying around a typical fort.  ;D
Make the Philosopeher's job to claim a bedroom for himself. Seriously, it'd be funny.

Urist: I'm out to kill you all! MWHAHA
Cog: HAMMER TIME!
Bembul: Must not die, must not die.
Phil: Where can I steal a bed?
Not a bad idea, but considering some other things... maybe not this time. I've got another idea for that anyway.  ;)
Im in.

There should be a goblin/kobold spy too.
:-X

I was serious about that Co-GM thing, BTW. Let me know if you're interested.

I'm gonna work on the fort tonight.

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2009, 07:41:24 pm »

Count.

Me.

Out! IN!... I meant in!!!

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2009, 07:43:38 pm »

I guess that I could Co-GM, I've got finals and such coming up, but I don't predict myself studying much for them.

Archangel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2009, 08:05:41 pm »

I'm interested in joining this but do not make me the Dungeon Master if you actually expect D&D jokes because I don't know anything about that game.
There's about 25 of the fuckers and the three sarge killed were at point blank range - it's got to be zombies or a bunch of really dumb terrorists with knives.
My full sig

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2009, 08:07:27 pm »

Idea: We could get several people to pitch in MSPaint layouts of individual fort levels. Rickvoid could connect them and add secret areas. It would save him a lot of time.

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2009, 08:20:34 pm »

Here:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I tried for an old, rackety look, with a picture of a noble, and a small candle.
Pages: [1] 2