Hell, yeah!
- 34 (39.1%)
Heavens, no!
- 17 (19.5%)
Whatev, brah!
- 36 (41.4%)

Total Members Voted: 87

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: Microsoft Sucks  (Read 8596 times)

Alexhans

• Bay Watcher
  • This is toodamn shortto write something meaningful
    • View Profile
    • Osteopatia y Neurotonia
Re: Microsoft Sucks
« Reply #75 on: June 01, 2009, 06:09:21 am »

Some thing that sucks about Windows are all the restrictions that they impose on you.  The fact that you can't even know how the programs are working (Not Open Source) so if there's a breach in security you have to buy one of THEIR security systems to protect your computer.
  Wich in Linux it would be harder to do because a lot of people can look and correct the code if necessary.

I'm starting to believe a LOT in Linux and in a future where it's almost a predominant OS.  The only problem is that it should have some kind of paid service (maybe it has) where you could help all those dummies that keep calling for Tech Help after they buy their first computer and don't know what to button to press.

Anyway, I'm learning the Windows Api... Everyone uses Windows, I gotta know it too (plus I need it for work).  Someday I will learn Linux but not just yet.
“Eight years was awesome and I was famous and I was powerful" - George W. Bush.

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't really have any answers for you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 01, 2009, 10:09:31 am »

Well, it was Microsoft Sucks or Atheists. I flipped a coin, and here I am.
I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 01, 2009, 11:40:13 am »

Pfft. Only conservatives leave such important decisions to be decided by "random" chance.

Especially when there are more options than random options allow to select.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 01, 2009, 06:42:14 pm »

By that Yanlin means Do you want to her something disturbing?
!!&!!

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 02, 2009, 09:41:41 am »

Do you want to hear something disturbing?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKY5vvDC7Bc&fmt=18
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Okenido

• Bay Watcher
  • Loli Advocate
    • View Profile
    • New Various Nonsense
« Reply #80 on: June 02, 2009, 06:17:37 pm »

Oh my science!!!

What can I do to help?

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 02, 2009, 06:28:47 pm »

My roommate has (I think) Ubuntu on her EeePC.  Her computer overheated (it's been reeeally hot in our house lately), and she was forced to hard reboot, at which point we discovered the filesystem was entirely trashed.  Like, unrecoverable-by-our-local-guru trashed, though he did manage to extract many files, it just couldn't be rebuilt and needed a wipe.

I can't help but think FAT or NTFS would have handled it better.  Man, I remember hard reboots being a problem with my Linux box over ten years ago.  Why doesn't Linux ship with workstation-safe filesystems after all these years?
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 02, 2009, 08:04:54 pm »

I've had to do hot reboots on my Ubuntu box before, but never anything like that. However, I have a hunch. Was it Ubuntu 9.04 with Ext4?
!!&!!

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 02, 2009, 08:08:45 pm »

I think I've seen a couple horror stories about Ext4 recently but I really have no clue.  All I or she know is that it was as close to 'out of the box' as you can get with Ubuntu and an EeePC.  And for obvious reasons, we can't go and look up what version it was now :D
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 02, 2009, 09:16:13 pm »

Ext4 has some issues, not as stable as Ext3. I can say that if it was bought recently, that is probably the cause. Otherwise, it is probably a hardware issue more than a software issue, as I've had to do hot reboots myself and never encountered data loss.
!!&!!

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 02, 2009, 09:28:48 pm »

Dude, if its hot enough that your computer is randomly shutting off and you have trouble turning it on, that's got nothing to do with software or linux. Get some bloody circulation and fans in there for god's sake.

The harddrive is getting cooked. I'm suprised your CPU doesnLt auto shutdown as a safety measure first if its that hot in the case.

That or she had the mythical linux virus or something :P

I've had my laptop hot auto-shutdown before from integrated videocard overheating, but no longterm memory loss. (I did die in TF2 though)

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 03, 2009, 05:48:54 am »

The Horror!  That means your Kill:Death ratio is lower!  NOOOOOOoooooooooooooooo................!

AxelDominatoR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 03, 2009, 06:29:35 am »

I use only linux from 1996.
Gentoo Linux is blazing fast ( probably the fastest mainstream operating system out here ), is inherently secure and it has *everything*.

Now, about most points:

1) I agree that most people don't have time to study an operating system. They should get Windows or Mac and stay with it. I usually *don't* tell people to switch to linux. Linux is better only if you have time to hack it. I love hacking my system and my system loves me.

2) Linux is more secure not because it is opensource. Linux is more secure because is so "packetized" that goes unpredictable!
A Windows system is the *same* for millions of pc. Macs are getting a bit of market and malware started appearing for Macs, too. Now. My linux is fully customized. How could an attacker write a malware to affect all Gentoo systems if *every* Gentoo has, potentially, a different version of a packet installed? Too difficult. Same thing with other linux. I cannot write a malware for "linux", because every distro out there will have different program versions installed, with different patches etc etc.
A cracker determined to open a hole into a linux ( as with windows or mac ) will be capable of doing it, given enough time. Not a malware.

3) Games... I was capable of running *every* game under my linux using WINE, dosbox, dosemu, etc etc. I'm talking of games ranging from Adventure to most modern things ( Doom3 for example and after ), so that's not a valid point.
Axel DominatoR ^^^ HC

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 03, 2009, 06:58:02 am »

3) Games... I was capable of running *every* game under my linux using WINE, dosbox, dosemu, etc etc. I'm talking of games ranging from Adventure to most modern things ( Doom3 for example and after ), so that's not a valid point.

Hmmm that is pretty interesting, because as I heard, Linux is not the "best" OS choice if you are a gamer.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 03, 2009, 07:07:43 am »

Hmmm that is pretty interesting, because as I heard, Linux is not the "best" OS choice if you are a gamer.

It depends. You can get many steam games to run under wine, assuming you have the knowledge and patience to work with wine. Older games like Fallout 1+2, diablo 2, etc can and will work, assuming proper setup. Do some research at WineHQ to see if your game will run.

Some games just won't run in wine, crysis/GTA4 style, no matter what you do.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7