Hell, yeah!
- 34 (39.1%)
Heavens, no!
- 17 (19.5%)
Whatev, brah!
- 36 (41.4%)

Total Members Voted: 87

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: Microsoft Sucks  (Read 8598 times)

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Microsoft Sucks
« Reply #60 on: May 24, 2009, 02:58:08 pm »

Steve Ballmer showing off his sweat glands.

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 24, 2009, 03:39:10 pm »

The only difference between casual programmers and professional developers is that one gets a paycheck.

And... You know... All the experience and coding knowledge?
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 24, 2009, 04:27:53 pm »

The only difference between casual programmers and professional developers is that one gets a paycheck.

You totally missed his point. A good chunk (I'd even claim it to be a solid majority) of open source developers are "professional developers" in the sense that their day job is programming. The difference is that they do the open source development on their spare time as a hobby or personal drive, like Toady did before he quit his job. So the experience and coding knowledge is just as strong as anywhere.

And a lot of linux developers are in fact employed full time or per-project to work on linux or some other piece of software. Examples are the linux kernel, major linux distributions, Mozilla, Ogre3d and lots of others.

The true advantage of commercial software development is project organization, deadlines and goals/milestones. Open source projects often lack these (although it seems to have gotten generally better the last few years), which tends to result in feature creep and unfinished/lopsided software.

Alexhans

• Bay Watcher
  • This is toodamn shortto write something meaningful
    • View Profile
    • Osteopatia y Neurotonia
« Reply #63 on: May 24, 2009, 06:31:14 pm »

and the disadvantage are managers....

and here I would post the link Some Real Life truisms from the world of game development but it's GONE!!!  :'(

I have it in my old computer saved in txt... I MUST get it.
“Eight years was awesome and I was famous and I was powerful" - George W. Bush.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 24, 2009, 08:45:51 pm »

You totally missed his point. A good chunk (I'd even claim it to be a solid majority) of open source developers are "professional developers" in the sense that their day job is programming. The difference is that they do the open source development on their spare time as a hobby or personal drive, like Toady did before he quit his job. So the experience and coding knowledge is just as strong as anywhere.

And a lot of linux developers are in fact employed full time or per-project to work on linux or some other piece of software. Examples are the linux kernel, major linux distributions, Mozilla, Ogre3d and lots of others.

The true advantage of commercial software development is project organization, deadlines and goals/milestones. Open source projects often lack these (although it seems to have gotten generally better the last few years), which tends to result in feature creep and unfinished/lopsided software.

My point was that that anything that a professional does without payment is by definition casual. While you do hit on that point, I feel a more succinct statement is a bit more helpful.
!!&!!

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 24, 2009, 09:00:51 pm »

http://www.reactos.org/en/index.html

I'll just leave this here.

Thank you thank you thank you thank you.

That's very interesting. :)

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 25, 2009, 03:38:25 am »

I did not know that. Alright then. 1000 Linux developers > 500 Microsoft DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Ryo

• Bay Watcher
  • Store item in stockpile
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 25, 2009, 05:49:26 am »

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 25, 2009, 07:23:27 am »

If he was out to make one meeeeillion dollars, windows wouldn't cost an organ.
!!&!!

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 30, 2009, 10:22:55 pm »

http://www.longene.org/en/index.php Topical. Might raise some eyebrows.
!!&!!

Ryo

• Bay Watcher
  • Store item in stockpile
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 31, 2009, 07:23:56 am »

Page won't load, all I get is:

Connection Interrupted

The document contains no data.

The network link was interrupted while negotiating a connection. Please try again.

And yes, I did have to copy the full error message, including formatting.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 01, 2009, 12:32:04 am »

micrsoft does in fact, pown.
Why? micrsoft beats mac and linux by over 5x sales.
might makes right therefore micrsoft is the perpetual winner.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 01, 2009, 01:54:23 am »

Of course, sales alone is a rather subjective scale. One could say most of those sales are because everybody else has the program for business applications and thus in order to have a successful business one must have the same software.

Note I'm one of the guys who maintains that Windows does not suck. I just need to point this out to be a better man than OS fanboys that completely ignore the possible downfalls of their OS's. Windows ain't perfect, but it works as long as you don't screw around and have some savvy guy for when things that are not supposed to happen happen. Something that can be said of every OS.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 01, 2009, 02:03:16 am »

Page won't load, all I get is:

Connection Interrupted

The document contains no data.

The network link was interrupted while negotiating a connection. Please try again.

And yes, I did have to copy the full error message, including formatting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_Unified_Kernel <- Same thing. Same information anyway.
!!&!!

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 01, 2009, 06:06:36 am »

Of course, sales alone is a rather subjective scale. One could say most of those sales are because everybody else has the program for business applications and thus in order to have a successful business one must have the same software.

Note I'm one of the guys who maintains that Windows does not suck. I just need to point this out to be a better man than OS fanboys that completely ignore the possible downfalls of their OS's. Windows ain't perfect, but it works as long as you don't screw around and have some savvy guy for when things that are not supposed to happen happen. Something that can be said of every OS.

Ever hear of this stupid game called "Carnival Games"?  Or "NintenDogs"?  They have record sales yet they ARE NOT WHAT YOU CALL FUN.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7