Hell, yeah!
- 34 (39.1%)
Heavens, no!
- 17 (19.5%)
Whatev, brah!
- 36 (41.4%)

Total Members Voted: 87

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: Microsoft Sucks  (Read 8602 times)

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
Re: Microsoft Sucks
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2009, 01:57:12 pm »

I have a lot more fun using Linux, and the general immunity to malware is a rather nice bonus.
This.
And:
In other news, after using Ubuntu extensively, I find Windows' lack of "snappiness" annoying. Windows should snap together when you drag them, dammit.

Yeah... sticky window edges (or whatever your window manager calls it) is a nice touch that's very east to get used to... MS windows would be 10% better imo if they included that. Never used Unbuntu, though.
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

Vucar Fikodastesh

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2009, 06:54:19 pm »

After reading this, I did a quick search and found allSnap.

allSnap is a small system tray app that makes all top level windows automatically align like they do in programs such as Winamp or Photoshop.

I'm trying it now. So far it works awesome.

Another program I've been using for a while is PowerMenu. I use to toggle "always on top" for any window or program.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2009, 06:55:57 pm by Vucar Fikodastesh »
I think it's a vastly amusing thought that elephants are so afraid of heights that when Dwarves invented the Z-axis, they couldn't bear to face dwarves in combat anymore.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2009, 07:31:30 pm »

Non-windows things are only immune to malware because most of the malware programmers are trying to hit as many people as they can - this means designing the malware to work on windows.  If linux, for example, were to become more popular and more widely used than windows, then linux would lose most of its malware immunity and drop to the level of security windows currently "enjoys."

In short, you should try to keep the immunity thing a secret; it only works if few know about it.  You may as well not switch; in a few years, the way the immunity news is spreading, it won't be so immune.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2009, 08:20:21 pm »

I have a lot more fun using Linux, and the general immunity to malware is a rather nice bonus.
This.
And:
In other news, after using Ubuntu extensively, I find Windows' lack of "snappiness" annoying. Windows should snap together when you drag them, dammit.

Yeah... sticky window edges (or whatever your window manager calls it) is a nice touch that's very east to get used to... MS windows would be 10% better imo if they included that. Never used Unbuntu, though.

OH JESUS PLEASE NO.  That drives me up the WALL.  I hate that, and I can never figure out how to keep things from snapping when I don't want them to.  I'm very OCD about my window space and I don't like not being able to use little 8-pixel regions if I want to not quite exactly snap.

As for DLL Hell, that is kind of MS's fault because they never designed any way to properly version DLLs.  There's not much good system in place for it to NOT be like that.

And if OO3 is actually decent, I'll give it a shot...but using OO in the past is kind of like using Windows 95 and ME.  Probably not the best examples out of the series.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2009, 08:26:33 pm »

Non-windows things are only immune to malware because most of the malware programmers are trying to hit as many people as they can - this means designing the malware to work on windows.  If linux, for example, were to become more popular and more widely used than windows, then linux would lose most of its malware immunity and drop to the level of security windows currently "enjoys."

In short, you should try to keep the immunity thing a secret; it only works if few know about it.  You may as well not switch; in a few years, the way the immunity news is spreading, it won't be so immune.

That doesn't make it any less true. For now, I'll enjoy my virus immunity.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2009, 08:31:25 pm »

Of course.  I just meant to say that you shouldn't try to convince people your system is better *wink, wink*
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2009, 08:43:40 pm »

I apologize in advance for any offense this post will cause.

Arguing a system is immune to viruses simply because nobody cares is like arguing Eugene the Nerd doesn't get STD's because he cannot ever get laid. It's true, and we appreciate the fact that he won't die of some horrible disease, but dammit if sex isn't sex.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2009, 09:55:39 pm »

Windows Vista seems to be where Microsoft is getting most of its hate from.  One day Apple and Linux will have their own "vistas."

I don't know about Linux, but in Apple's case, isn't that all their OSs? Seriously, no right click? Not to mention their incompatibility and overall shittiness.

Did I mention they cost more?

Not to mention their commercials. Remember the few ones where they said Macs can run Windows and etc? They said now you can use a mac for everything. Now this just begs the question. Why use a mac then?

Macs DO have a "right-click," it's just annoyingly frustrating to use because you have to hold down this key and click instead of having it conveniently located on the actual mouse. That's why I use a microsoft mouse.

Also, the mac vs. pc commercials are incredibly stupid. I want to make a spoof where "pc" says "and you're a pc too mac, did you know that?"

I would've chosen no if it weren't for vista. I had absolutely no problems with my xp. It ran everything I wanted to run, and did it fast, I never got viruses because I was using anti-virus software that actually worked, and was free.
However, my mac runs like mud. it also doesn't run ANYTHING. I managed to get some awesome things running, like nethack and dwarf fortress, but otherwise, this computer is useless. I don't even think they make anti-virus software for macs...

Also, when people complain about microsoft being a greedy corporation and crap. Apple is just as bad, if not worse. And what's up with the whole "buy our overpriced piece of shit then pay more money than xp costs to run xp on it so the computer actually does stuff!"?

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2009, 10:51:42 pm »

Because Macintosh was clever enough to tickle our "stick it to the greedy capitalistic MAN!" reflexes.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 23, 2009, 11:02:30 pm »

Because Macintosh was clever enough to tickle our "stick it to the greedy capitalistic MAN!" reflexes.

"Stick it to the capitalist man by buying our expensive products!"

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2009, 11:10:21 pm »

"Stick it to the capitalist man by buying our expensive products!"
"Be a unique and different individual by buying our product, just like everybody else."

Psyco Jelly

• Bay Watcher
  • It begins!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 24, 2009, 01:24:54 am »

Why do so many people have problems with Vista? Mine's just fine. I went in with low expectations, but basically got XP 2.0
Not only is it not actually advertising anything, it's just copy/pasting word salads about gold, runescape, oil, yuan, and handbags.  It's like a transporter accident combined all the spambots into one shambling mass of online sales.

Ryo

• Bay Watcher
  • Store item in stockpile
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 24, 2009, 05:59:08 am »

Spoiler: Mac (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Windows (click to show/hide)

If you have dozens of .dll errors on shutdown, don't blame windows. Blame whatever shit you've installed, and/or poor computer skills.
Actually, most of the errors are due to Windows programs/dlls, though the only one I can think of off the top of my head is Dr Watson. Sometimes programs which aren't windows, but still came with the pc, throw up an error (e.g. nvidia), but I guess that isn't really MS's fault. Then there's the mcafee (which has its own problems ) errors (also not MS's fault though)...

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 24, 2009, 06:26:07 am »

As I'm typing this I am using a Mac on Firefox.  STICK IT TO THE WIN!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7