Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Some sort of garbage incinerator (non-magma) and recycling.  (Read 3985 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I just had a thought, since everybody gets loads of narrow ____ this narrow _____ that, which is most of the time of base quality. So, how about a garbage incinerator of some kind for refuse and certain stuff you want to toss?

I realize that there is already an incinerator of sorts with magma, but it's not always available on a map. A related thought is recycling, we already have it with melting metal stuff, but what about recycling other things somehow?

The kind of incinerator I'm thinking of might actually make the refuse pile obsolete in certain ways and make it more specialized in others.

Tenebrais

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Some sort of garbage incinerator (non-magma) and recycling.
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2009, 08:08:11 am »

A way to permanently delete items without magma or a pit (or using a drawbridge) would be nice, though an incinerator implies it would use fuel. And that is itself a problem, especially on maps with no coal.
I'm not sure if there's any alternative, though. Still, more dumping options would be nice. We've already got metal recycling, maybe glass could join it. Make a compost heap to turn biodegradable refuse into fertiliser? There's lots of options, I suppose.
However, I think that's at something to a tangent to your suggestion. Perhaps a de[s]troy designation, like [m]elt, [d]ump, [f]orbid and [h]ide, which would simply delete that item by crushing it to dust or some such.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2009, 08:11:08 am by Tenebrais »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2009, 08:13:20 am »

Yea well, its just a thought that popped up in my head and so it's not neccesarily a thought through suggestion. That's what the suggestions section is for anyway. I was thinking about the fact that we get tons of useless clothes from the goblins and some other way besides pawning them off to the elves or whoever else.

Something like a compost pile is still in the same vein as recycling, so it's not that much of a tangent.

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2009, 08:34:05 am »

Simple: tag them for melting/recycling/destruction (all the same function, really). Then combustibles could be used for fuel as needed in the relevant workshop, or alternatively turned to ash in the ashery (small quantities can be kept track of like the partial metal bars in the smelter). Metals are melted as usual, other hard materials can be ground up by dwarves with a hammer, an agression problem, and too much time on their hands.
For the future, a paper mill workshop could get the order: recycle rags into paper, picking out the cloth and waste paper. Rags can be burned as well, but it's all debris so they are assigned on a first come first served basis in the case of overlapping possibilities.

In short: tag items for recycling, and the appropriate workshops will pick out what they can use or can be ordered directly to recycle waste materials into raw materials at the workshop.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2009, 10:25:12 am »

I've always thought it would be neat to unravel cloth clothing and get the base silk/thread back.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

nymersic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2009, 06:13:35 pm »

A way to permanently delete items without magma or a pit (or using a drawbridge) would be nice, though an incinerator implies it would use fuel. And that is itself a problem, especially on maps with no coal.
I'm not sure if there's any alternative, though. Still, more dumping options would be nice. We've already got metal recycling, maybe glass could join it. Make a compost heap to turn biodegradable refuse into fertiliser? There's lots of options, I suppose.
However, I think that's at something to a tangent to your suggestion. Perhaps a de[s]troy designation, like [m]elt, [d]ump, [f]orbid and [h]ide, which would simply delete that item by crushing it to dust or some such.

You can use a drawbridge to destroy trash?  I thought that dropping drawbridges should destroy items (never done it before), but just a few days ago I tried it.  Designated a garbage dump on the tile that a raised drawbridge will lower on.  A few items were dropped on the tile, then I lowered the bridge.  Nothing happened, it just showed the items as now resting on top [somehow] of the bridge.  What was I doing wrong?

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2009, 07:24:31 pm »

Designating certain flammable items - in particular, wooden items, but perhaps also cloth - as a fuel substitute (even at a 1/2 or fractional increment like the smelter) would be a much better solution than wasting additional fuel to get rid of your items.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Wolfius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2009, 07:45:59 pm »

Designating certain flammable items - in particular, wooden items, but perhaps also cloth - as a fuel substitute (even at a 1/2 or fractional increment like the smelter) would be a much better solution than wasting additional fuel to get rid of your items.

It would also allow you to farm fuel via plant fibers on maps that lack wood, coal, or magma, where you'd otherwise be forced to burn imported wood.

It wouldn't be very efficient - quite the opposite - but it would provide an alternative, and provide a reason to expand your normally tiny farming operations.

EDIT:
Also, if you could turn, say, ten units of plant fiber cloth into one of charcoal, elves suddenly become a whole lot more useful.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2009, 08:35:32 pm by Wolfius »

nymersic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2009, 08:11:32 pm »

It always bugged me that I couldn't use my 73 -beds- for making charcoal.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2009, 07:57:11 am »

Smelters and forges are pretty finicky about their fuel, you better cough up a historical precedent if you want to burn cloth as fuel

lucusLoC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2009, 02:25:34 pm »

How about actual experience?

Out in the sticks where i grew up we used to melt all kinds of things using yard waste. We would scavange all the good wood for the house fireplace and all the leftovers would go into a pile. If we built it right (using bricks and stone to set up the "cooker") we could esily get hot enought to melt aluminum siding. I am not sure how hot that actualy is. other than some old tin cans (steel i think) that didnt fare to well either(though they did not melt), we never tried anything else that could be considered "hight melting point". i think that is a pretty good indication that grass and twigs can burn hot enough to do work (and by extension plant fiber cloth. Not sure how well silk burns.) If we had a kiln and a bellows we probably could have gotten a lot hotter.

As another aside, i was also presonaly at the aftermath of a trailer fire. we found a cast iorn pot that was half melted. Trailers, for the perpous of DF, can be cosiderd to be made from scap wood. That fire must have been !!HOT!!
Quantum dumps are proof of "memory" being a perfectly normal dimension in DF. ~Gazz

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2009, 02:41:39 pm »

Smelters and forges are pretty finicky about their fuel, you better cough up a historical precedent if you want to burn cloth as fuel

Also, if you are willing to generalize, cloth makes good Tinder.  While it doesn't equal more fuel, it DOES stretch the fuel you have.

Drake1500

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2009, 02:44:40 pm »

I should also like to point out that forges were run by certain peoples on nothing more than dung. The Mongolians are the ones that come readily to mind, but I'm certain that there were others... I'm just not thinking of them right now.

jaked122

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Lurker tendancies]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2009, 03:35:02 pm »

USE TRASH TO SMELT METAL!!!

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2009, 06:01:14 pm »

we could esily get hot enought to melt aluminum siding. I am not sure how hot that actualy is.

Aluminum 660.32 °C

other than some old tin cans (steel i think) that didnt fare to well either

As another aside, i was also presonaly at the aftermath of a trailer fire. we found a cast iorn pot that was half melted.

Tin 231.93 °C
Cast iron 1370 °C
(note, cast iron wasn't introduced into the west until the 1500s and even then it was pretty useless thanks to it's brittleness)

Iron Ore 1510 °C
Wrought Iron 1,540 °C
Steel 1370 °C

Question is, by "melt" did you mean melt into a form that can be turned into bars or just sort of get soft and bend? That's not useful. Burning plain wood causes temperatures anywhere from 200 to 400 in the gases, in order to melt even copper you need to touch the newly formed charcoal which reaches about 1100 degrees. Copper melts at 1034 degrees by the way. Furnaces do play a role of course, otherwise we'd never be able to melt iron

Having spent the last few hours Googling this shit, it dawns to me that we currently don't need charcoal to melt iron ore. Toady should fix this oversight, carbon is needed to get the oxygen out of the rust

Trees don't exactly grow back in three years, coppicing should be implemented in place of such video gamey mechanics for forest growth

Oh and.. when you burn wood, it turns into charcoal towards the end of the process. Burning cloth and leather would not do this and thus would never reach temperatures required to smelt anything beyond tin. Oh and that's pure tin, in order to extract tin from ore you heat it to about 1,350 'C using, you guessed it, charcoal

God damn this is hard to read and my thoughts are a mess after the 2 zillion contradictory holey sources.. To reiterate, you can't melt shit without wood. Fuck socks, fabrics reached about 500 degrees Celsius. That melts fuck all. I guess you would still be able to cook using random trash as fuel though

Oh and magma forges are laughable bullshit but I needn't mention that.
Pages: [1] 2