Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Episode V: The Elves Strike Back ~ BACK FROM THE UNKNOWN~  (Read 9407 times)

Katsuun

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loli_Weaboo]
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress Episode V: The Elves Strike Back
« Reply #45 on: June 05, 2009, 06:12:12 am »

Oh yeah. Anyways, it looks great so far, keep it up!
how would a Fortress based curse work?

Rocks fall, everyone dies.

Sans context.

Keita

• Bay Watcher
  • Easily Confused
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 05, 2009, 06:44:45 am »

Awesome with a side order of win thanks for support guys
Gravity is a government conspiracy to keep us down

Rashilul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 06, 2009, 02:51:07 am »

can i have a dwarf?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Great story ;D
« Last Edit: June 06, 2009, 03:01:03 am by Rashilul »

Keita

• Bay Watcher
  • Easily Confused
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 06, 2009, 08:53:46 am »

just a small update now

Thagnus peered from his hiding spot. It was actually were he kept his smuggled goods that he traded with the caravan guards from other dwarf forts that he had decided to make big enough to squeeze into in case he got in to much hot water, much like he was now.
     He picked up a plump helmet and nibbled the top half of it before he placed it down and brought his knees closer to his chest, placing his head on them, exhausted and distraught at the sudden development of events.
     Sudden didn’t quiet cut it, the whole battle lasted less than half an hour with nearly 100% casualties for the dwarfs and the damn elves hadn’t even suffered a single scratch and those dark skinned elves had wrecked total havoc smashing there way through anything and everything in there path. The way they’d exploded the gates was-
     Thagnus heard someone come into the store room his cubby hole was located in. Grabbing his crossbow and listening intently, he could pick out the soft foot steps of an elf and the lumbering thuds of something much bigger and no doubt meaner than the elf.
     The elf spoke a few elvish words that Thag couldn’t make out and advanced further into the room followed by the thud, thud, thud, thud of whatever creature it was with.
     Thag held his breath, baring not to breath and to try and slow his pounding heartbeat, hoping and praying that they would leave.
     Everything was still for five minutes but it felt like the whole of eternity for Thag
‘Maybe they’ve done?’ he thought
     He shuffled his backside which had gone numb down one side, the creature let out a screech that burst Thags ear drums. The front panel was shredded by a giant claw and another dragged him out of his hiding.
     He came face to snout with what looked like a giant hamster, its claws covered in blood and its light brown coat was matted with blood starting to clot and turning black. Beady, blood shot eyes stared at him hungrily, sharp teeth gnashed in his face and a claw that easily sliced through his horse leather armour pinned him to the ground.
     The elf gave a small chuckle and spoke some more elvish.

The last thing Thag saw was the in side of the things mouth.

The last thing he felt was the two huge incisors slicing through his skull.

I'll have you characture in the next one Rashilul

Rashilul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 06, 2009, 10:09:41 am »

awesome

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 10, 2009, 04:01:14 pm »

Dark skinned elves :D? Missed that on my first read. OH boy, if this implies what I think it does, there will be *alot* of fun to be had for the dwarves. Looking forward to the next chapter.

And I never thought the introduction of a giant hamster could be so...awesome. Great job on managing that.
From Mr. Welch's 1350 things he is not allowed to do in a RPG:
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
171. My character's dying words are not allowed to be "Hastur, Hastur, Hastur"
218. No matter my alignment, organizing halfling pit fights is a violation.
231. I am not allowed to do anything that would make a Sith Lord cry.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.

varkarrus

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity and a knife go well together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 10, 2009, 04:20:48 pm »

I just can't stop laughing. I mean seriously. When a giant claw breaks through a wall, I don't think anyone expects to have their skull crushed by a hamster.

Hamster -- 1, Dwarves -- 0.
Dip Stick! The newest candy! Just dip it, then lick it!
Or try FUBAR! The best chocolate bar ever!
And you can't eat them, either, sadly. Even though it'd make sieges so much more fun; dwarves lining the walls, drooling and carrying sharp knives and forks, ready for the upcoming meals.

Keita

• Bay Watcher
  • Easily Confused
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 11, 2009, 07:44:44 am »

And I never thought the introduction of a giant hamster could be so...awesome. Great job on managing that.

thanks man, means a lot =D

Dark skinned elves :D? Missed that on my first read. OH boy, if this implies what I think it does, there will be *alot* of fun to be had for the dwarves. Looking forward to the next chapter.

that depends on what type of dark elves my friend ;)

update shortly

« Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 07:46:47 am by Metal Militia »

Keita

• Bay Watcher
  • Easily Confused
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 11, 2009, 08:16:53 am »

Double posts are fun!

sorry for the lack of death

As the convoy trundled through the tunnels, Duma pondered recent events.

He had somehow become the poor sod who had to run this caravan, problems seemed to work his way over to him, probably because Melbilshagog was told to report to him. It’s not like he asked for it, it just happened that’s all.

A guard came running up to Melbilshagog and they had a whispered conversation that lasted about three minutes after which the guard saluted and trotted back down the small line of caravans.
     Duma cocked an eyebrow and looked at Melbilshagog.

“Fikod’s playing up again; he’s demanding five aluminium thrones or something like that”

He shifted his hammer to his other shoulder, using his arm to counter balance it.

“Lumming nobles, hey Melbilshagog…”

“The names Medtob”

“Ok, Medtob, you’re a guard and have to deal with these whiny bastards, are they all this deserving of a good smack to the chops?”

Medtob scratched his chin thinking about it for a while as if debating the question with him self.

“Well, most of them are all right when they first start out, but then I think the power gets to there heads after a while, actually now I think about it there kinda’ patterns”

He walked in silence for a while longer then continued on his train of thought

“Yer, some nobles aren’t as bad, the book keepers are usually a quiet timid lot, spending there time scribbling stuff down n’ counting. Managers on the other hand get a taste for being bossy like and can tend to go off in a huff every now and then”

Medtob then went silent and continued to be for quiet some time. Duma gave up on him and looked around, he saw that while a lot of the dwarves looked scared, as one does when ones fortress has been over thrown, he realized that the miners were more so, including Harper.
     He was constantly swinging his axe to and fro, his knuckles turning white from the grip he had on the weapon, eye skittering from shadow to shadow, expecting a hostiles at any moment.

“What’s got ya so worked up?” Duma grunted. Harper showed no sing of hearing him but merely stated

“A lot of nasty crawlys”

“But the end of the tunnels sealed from what I heard”

“Aye, that it is, but I’m worrying what’s already here”

“I thought the giant cave spiders were wiped out ages ago”

Harper looked around him again, more specifically at the dwarfs and leaned closer, speaking in a hushed tone.

“When I was still a miner, I was part of a team that was tasked with widening these tunnels and digging new ones.
     One of those tunnels went through several rich metal veins as well as some gem ones. It seemed to good to be true and it was because…”

He gave another glance around, staring down a framer that had made eye contact. He spoke in such a soft tone that Duma had to strain to hear him.

“We uncovered a chasm”

“A chasm! Wait, why didn’t you wall it up?”

“It was deemed unnecessary, thing was thought empty ya’ see? It was quiet for years.
     By the time the monsters started pouring out of it, they gained too much ground to stop them at the source so we sealed the whole thing up and that it was only to be used in absolutely dire situations.

Duma frowned, processing what he’d just learnt. Hefting his hammer in both hands he too was looking cautiously around, he had a bad feeling this morning as well.

Iferi leaned closer to the dwarf, its face disfigured from cuts, bruises and the anger that was evidently aimed at her.

“I’ll ask again” Iferi voice chimed, gentle yet with subtle tones of command.

“Tell me what I want and your passing from this life will be painless”

“You’re wasting your time with that one” Piped up a dwarf

Iferi stood up and turned to the voice. A female dwarf had spoken. She was of considerable age for a dwarf as her hair and beard were grey with white flicks in them. She wore a green pig tail shirt with a similar overcoat and dress with a pair of green tinted glasses resting on her nose. Iferi felt something amiss with this one, but she couldn’t quiet place it.

“Oh and why might that be?” responded Iferi

The captive that she had been questioning was staring at the female dwarf in a warning fashion; she just smiled and continued talking.

“That one is an oath warrior, I’d be amazed if you got his name out of him”

“Ah, I’ve heard of you dwarfs and you’re…oaths. I take it you are not, bound, by such things?”

Now the whole group of captives were glaring at her, dangerous intent in every set of eyes but the dwarf kept smiling.

“Aye, that would be right. Do you mind if I could be untied?”

Iferi kept her eyes on the dwarf and motioned towards Avafi who took out a dagger and cut the ropes binding the dwarf. She got to here feet and rubbed her wrist to get the circulation going again, she nodded her thanks. Iferi, still unable to figure out why this dwarf was so unsettling she asked.

“What is your name dwarf?”

“It is of no importance”

With that the dwarf stamped her foot downing causing the floor to open up and swallow the captives, snapping shut after them and leaving only the bewildered captors.

Yay story introductions are done.

I shall remedy the lack of violence next update.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 01:26:30 pm by Metal Militia »

Rashilul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 11, 2009, 10:08:46 am »

Yay, updates!
« Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 02:43:33 pm by Rashilul »

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 11, 2009, 12:26:54 pm »

How dwarven-get untied and, instead of trying to buy safety, ensure that both you and your companions get to splat to death on the cavern floor 1000 feet below :D. Anyway, good going, and these elves are kind of feeling drowish to me-is that where you got the idea? Or would it be more accurate to refer to them simply as the dark elves.
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.

Keita

• Bay Watcher
  • Easily Confused
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 11, 2009, 01:21:27 pm »

I shall fix the guard thing in a sec.

Drowish? Are you refering to the Autum Winter community game or a race from an interly different game all together?

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 11, 2009, 01:35:59 pm »

Not even a game-thinking of drowtales (webcomic, pretty high quality art). Those drow can get pretty nasty sometimes, but not DnD demon-worshiping type nasty. Think a "shades of gray" morality, but with powerful magics that can be used and abused-and then some things that are pretty much on the level of playing with fire (and pretty much every drow in that verse has, theoretically, the potential to develop such abilities. Theoretically). Anyways keep up the good work.

Edit: BAsic summary of what i mean by drow: really nasty and danerous if you manage to piss them off, with magic being a large part of that danger-and their regular warriors aren't any less dangerous. Basiclly, very dangerous dark-skinned elves.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 04:41:47 pm by Byakugan01 »

Keita

• Bay Watcher
  • Easily Confused
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 12, 2009, 07:31:58 am »

ok yer cool

BTW: I'm letting the oath warrior and the strange female dwarf open for characters if people want, more special vacincies will be open when they are avalible

Rashilul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 12, 2009, 10:40:58 am »

By the Three, Giant Elves, you're an ugly one. But then, all dwarves are ugly. The most repulsive race in all of dwarf fortress, really. At least you've got that brutish beer tolerance, huh? Must be nice to just rip a rock wall apart like some kind of miner. Oh, but you must be the one sober dwarf, huh? Captured by dark elves. How pathetic. You're going to die in here, dwarf! Like an animal in a cage!

someones got to make a Valen Dreth character who just goes around insulting everyone
« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 10:48:58 am by Rashilul »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6