Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Premonitions, Seers that kind of thing.  (Read 1258 times)

Craftling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Premonitions, Seers that kind of thing.
« on: May 22, 2009, 06:38:36 am »

This subject has kinda been brought up before but im digging it up again anyway. Im proposing that dwarves have dreams that affect things, premonitions about what might happen in the fortress.
The premonitions could range from the trivial(Its going to rain soon) to the major(goblins are coming to attack the fortress).
You would get an announcement somewhere along the lines of "Urist McSeer has had a premontion, A dragon is coming to attack the fortress"
But sometimes the premonition would be incorrect and the dwarf would be laughed at. But sometimes it would just be late and then everyone would think "Oh Urist was right about the tentcle demons, we shouldnt have gotten rid of those defences last month.
And there would be some that would have premonitions more than others, seers.
Seers would be a skill that couldnt be learned, just born with and would be a important person in the fortress, automatically promoted to a noble but quite rare. Different seers are skilled in different areas, some would be able to tell when the fortress is going to come under attack, some would be able to know where a vein of gold is, and the more some would be able to tell when somedwarf is going to get moody.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Premonitions, Seers that kind of thing.
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2009, 07:19:25 am »

As for the veins, you could just use the Reveal utility.

As for the rest, doesn't that take away a part of what DF is all about?

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2009, 08:18:11 am »

The revelations don't need to be true.. or precise. And whatever their veracity, the dwarves might still act on it, getting happy or sad thoughts about the prophecied adamantine vein or future lost siege.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2009, 08:20:16 am »

As I recall, this actually happened in some of the early never-released versions -- dwarves would get prophetic dreams about one particular scripted event.
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2009, 04:56:42 pm »

As I recall, this actually happened in some of the early never-released versions -- dwarves would get prophetic dreams about one particular scripted event.

Yeah, there's still a "had a terrifying nightmare about an army of the dead" thought in the string dump.

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2009, 06:43:18 pm »

I wish would could have necromantic lords raise an army of the dead in your fortress now.  I know, I know, wait for the magic arc.  But that'd be so cool!  If not as a scripted event, then as a special ability, kinda like fireballs right now.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2009, 10:44:41 pm »

Don't much care for official seers but the occasional prophetic dream might fit

At the very least dwarves could have nightmares and the more superstitious ones might believe them to be prophetic

BigFatDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The irony ... it doesn't burn?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2009, 04:53:43 pm »

It doesn't have to really be such a big event.

It could also be about certain two dorfs marrying in a year or maybe about some soapmaker that is going to break his arm.
I loaded up my save in the new version, spent a minute trying to find my archery range before figuring it was the room with Xs down both sides: bins of ammo and archery targets.
Urist McCrossbower cancells practice crossbowery: Unsure of which end of the room to shoot at.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2009, 08:17:42 pm »

The problem with some of this stuff is that it's so totally random that no predetermination can amke anything of it. Goblin sieges happen regularly. That pretty much leaves locations of things like metal, magma and HFS, moods (I know they're random now, but that could be changed without a problem), megabeast attacks, and script events to be prophecized. I might also add that little things like marriage might be abit silly because normally the player (or at least, I) doesn't even notice them.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2009, 10:30:47 pm »

I like the idea about nightmares as premonitions. When armies move over the map again I'd imagine that sieges will becomes less like clockwork but the game knows when an army is both heading to and nearing your fortress and this could sometimes trigger a nightmare.

This is for a long time in the future but it would be interesting if during adventure mode someone hires an assassin to take you out and that you get nightmares about it. I could imagine having won the throne to a kingdom and having nightmares about some goblin hired assassin out to get me.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2009, 02:29:12 am »

Perhaps you don't need an appointed seer, just use the philosopher, he/she doesn't do anything except maybe a few hauling jobs

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2009, 06:48:19 am »

Perhaps you don't need an appointed seer, just use the philosopher, he/she doesn't do anything except maybe a few hauling jobs
If you run at full employment, he will play broker sometimes. And of course he will harvest if you let all dwarves do it. A great way to put nobles and children to work, as well.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2009, 12:47:42 pm »

This seems like it would fall under religion, something I'd quite like to see implemented.
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus