Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Embark Location Logic  (Read 750 times)

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
Embark Location Logic
« on: May 22, 2009, 04:28:15 am »

Is there any logic behind where your wagon ends up on embark? I thought you ended up in the approximate middle of the squares you choose to embark on but i recently embarked on a 6x6 area and ended up appearing in the far top right corner, so scratch that theory.

Chucker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Embark Location Logic
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2009, 05:15:42 am »

As far as I know, you'll embark somewhere within the biome that you last selected on the embark map screen (via the F1/F2 keys etc). As for where you embark within that area, no idea, sorry.

Urist McCyrilin

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh, the dwarfity!
    • View Profile
    • CyCom! Writing&PnP!
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2009, 06:16:57 am »

From what I noticed the game likes making you embark in the middle of magma pipes.

Village_Idiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2009, 06:22:22 am »

The embark logic seems to like putting you right next to features, such as magma pipes, carp-filled rivers, chasms and bottomless pits.

BigFatDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The irony ... it doesn't burn?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2009, 06:30:26 am »

Well, the game has a tendency to put you on middle elevation, about centered between all features.
I do'nt know about placing you next to features, never happened to me and I usually start 2 forts per week.
That much Fun. Of course, the DF Fun not the normal fun.
I loaded up my save in the new version, spent a minute trying to find my archery range before figuring it was the room with Xs down both sides: bins of ammo and archery targets.
Urist McCrossbower cancells practice crossbowery: Unsure of which end of the room to shoot at.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2009, 07:31:07 am »

"Centered", re some definition of that. And yes, relative to/within/bordering the last biome you selected. 

Not noticed the "features" thing - I tend to try to put my magma vent toward the middle anyway (as much as I can control that), so that's not something that would jump out for me.

Urist McCyrilin

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh, the dwarfity!
    • View Profile
    • CyCom! Writing&PnP!
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2009, 07:35:00 am »

Well, the game has a tendency to put you on middle elevation, about centered between all features.
I do'nt know about placing you next to features, never happened to me and I usually start 2 forts per week.
That much Fun. Of course, the DF Fun not the normal fun.

Of course. DF Fun is better than fun.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2009, 09:20:00 am »

I just did some testing; the game will indeed place you in approximately (as in 1- 2 embark tiles) the center of the biome you have selected when you embark; it also seems to favor placing you towards or near features if they are nearby.

Interesting.