Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Wielding a Giant Corkscrew  (Read 2720 times)

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
Re: Wielding a Giant Corkscrew
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2009, 09:54:36 pm »

I'm saying trying to make a trap component into a weapon is like trying to make a stone layer be associated with the axe-user skill. Weapon trap weapons are not the same as normal weapons and cannot accept the same tags. You would have to make a normal weapon in the weapon file to allow such things. You can wield anything in adventurer mode, but you won't get any specific skill other than possibly wrestling because of improvised weapon usage.

And due to the fact that it is stated as a trap component, dwarves won't wield it unless some bizzare combat situation arises to a drafted hauler of said weapon.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2009, 07:15:16 am »

Or unless the 'screw is made as an artifact, and you draft the maker into the military as a wrestler.

Also, bashing things with random items trains "Armor User" for some reason.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2009, 07:33:17 am »

I'm saying trying to make a trap component into a weapon is like trying to make a stone layer be associated with the axe-user skill. Weapon trap weapons are not the same as normal weapons and cannot accept the same tags.

Trapcomp is a separate item type, yes, but giving an entity a trapcomp as one of its defined weapons might still work.  It's worth a try.

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2009, 12:42:57 am »

But would I need to regen the world?  Also, can I get it related to a skill?  I guess the only way to find out would be to go test it, but I am not done with my fortress yet.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2009, 01:07:30 am »

I'm saying trying to make a trap component into a weapon is like trying to make a stone layer be associated with the axe-user skill. Weapon trap weapons are not the same as normal weapons and cannot accept the same tags.

Trapcomp is a separate item type, yes, but giving an entity a trapcomp as one of its defined weapons might still work.  It's worth a try.
Indeed, you are quite right. My estimates were overly pessimistic. Who knows if Toady made trap components similar enough to weapons to allow such editing.

I think you will find the relevant tag is [SKILL:AXE].
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2009, 01:47:13 am »

I think [SKILL:SPEAR] would better suit a giant corkscrew.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2009, 02:30:43 am »

You and I must be imagining this thing be used in completely different ways.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2009, 02:55:17 am »

I imagine a giant corkscrew being drilled into an enemies stomach, then being ripped out, removing their innards like a cork from a wine bottle. The 'screw is a long, pointy, sharp object. Spears are long, pointy, sharp object. I imagine the 'screw being to spears what a dual-bladed lightsaber is to swords; completely unorthodox and made of pure badassery.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2009, 03:04:02 am »

Hell, I imagine the guy swinging the weapon at some hapless woodland creature, the thread acting like multiple axe heads upon the target.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2009, 03:13:46 am »

Hmm... how about we take the middle ground and go with swords?
A sword can go choppy choppy like an axe or stabby stabby like a spear.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2009, 07:11:29 am »

Hmm... mace? I mean, really, he is not going to rotate it fast enough to use as a spear, and as an axe... Well, axes have much different balance, as well as swords. So it will act like a huge club then...

Anyway, we've got too far from the original thread. OP can't add it anyway unless he regenerates the world, but he wanted to do it to wield a specific artifact corkscrew, so it's not an option.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2009, 04:02:31 pm »

No, I also wanted to know what skill to try to give it.  The jury is still out on whether or not it will work.  Testing will commence once I get enough time to strip my other artifact armor and weapons off my champions and stick it all in nicely placed bins.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2009, 05:47:17 pm »

You can't give it any skill unless you make it a weapon and regenerate a world.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2009, 06:58:18 pm »

You can't give it any skill unless you make it a weapon and regenerate a world.

Such has already been said.  I will be attempting to discern the truth of the matter.  Have no fear, I will post my findings.

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2009, 02:57:56 am »

Behold, thus are my findings:

Appending:

[SKILL:AXE]
[TWO_HANDED:5]
[MINIMUM_SIZE:5]

onto the end of the Corkscrew entry resulted in gaining 10 wrestling experience every time I attacked with it.
Pages: 1 [2] 3