Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Finding Adamantine sucks.  (Read 1222 times)

Stealtharcadia

• Bay Watcher
  • Cool Guy 3217
    • View Profile
Finding Adamantine sucks.
« on: May 22, 2009, 01:51:11 am »

I am currently trying to mine out the bottom z level, and I'm not sure if my method of mining out a grid is the best method in searching for this precious metal.

How do you dudes mine?
Yeah yeah yeah!

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Finding Adamantine sucks.
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2009, 01:56:52 am »

I just drill down through the center of the embark tile and almost always hit my target. Works most of the time for adamantine, rivers, magma, you name it.

Stealtharcadia

• Bay Watcher
  • Cool Guy 3217
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2009, 02:06:19 am »

Ugh, well I don't recall where it was on the embark screen. And I don't think there's a way to see now..
Yeah yeah yeah!

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2009, 02:08:26 am »

The problem with Adamantine is that the vein may not neccesarily go all the way to the bottom; if it doesn't then you'll run into a 3 x 3 glowing pit before you see any metal, and looking for 3 x 3 pits is bloody hard.

You're best bet is to dig around on the embark tile where you know it is (assuming you paid attention to the embark map)

If you didn't and don't have any clue where it is, then you'll need to do some very extensive exploratory mining, and odds are it'll come down to pure luck.

Raging Mouse

• Bay Watcher
  • The mouse has become enraged! *DOUBLECLICK*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2009, 02:21:36 am »

Build a depot. Then check the depot accessibility of an underground z-level you haven't breached yet. The sections where the red D is flashing contain only solid ground, whereas the sections without any flashing D contain unrevealed cavities of some kind. These could be chasms, pits, underground rivers, magma pipes etc. or it could be the HFS you seek. This should narrow down your search somewhat.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2009, 02:24:47 am »

Build a depot. Then check the depot accessibility of an underground z-level you haven't breached yet. The sections where the red D is flashing contain only solid ground, whereas the sections without any flashing D contain unrevealed cavities of some kind. These could be chasms, pits, underground rivers, magma pipes etc. or it could be the HFS you seek. This should narrow down your search somewhat.

This has never worked for me interestingly enough.

Raging Mouse

• Bay Watcher
  • The mouse has become enraged! *DOUBLECLICK*
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2009, 02:29:32 am »

I can't explain that; I've used it successfully myself.

Stealtharcadia

• Bay Watcher
  • Cool Guy 3217
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2009, 02:30:39 am »

EDIT: Nevermind, I've already breached all z-levels. : /
« Last Edit: May 22, 2009, 02:32:36 am by Stealtharcadia »
Yeah yeah yeah!

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2009, 02:31:18 am »

I can't explain that; I've used it successfully myself.

I know, but whenever i do it just see big red D's everywhere, i specifically set out to try it out the other day on an underground magma pipe; no luck.

Stealtharcadia

• Bay Watcher
  • Cool Guy 3217
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2009, 04:12:32 am »

I found an old save of the same map and found an area and I've been mining it out. So far there's been no dice..
Yeah yeah yeah!

haywire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2009, 04:56:09 am »

If you don't mind cheating:  Just make a copy of the saved game, then use the Reveal mod on the copy to find it.

Zaranthan

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet Smelter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2009, 11:30:32 am »

I am currently trying to mine out the bottom z level, and I'm not sure if my method of mining out a grid is the best method in searching for this precious metal.

How do you dudes mine?
Reduce the site to stairs and floors. Build statues to contain rooms.
Quote from: Howard, Nerf This, by Scott D. Ferguson
Villains sleep with hookers, heroes sleep with destiny.

Techhead

• Bay Watcher
  • Former Minister of Technological Heads
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2009, 03:55:42 pm »

How do you dudes mine?
Reduce the site to stairs and floors. Build statues to contain rooms.
What do you do for doors?
Engineering Dwarves' unfortunate demises since '08
WHAT?  WE DEMAND OUR FREE THINGS NOW DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS IT MAY CAUSE IN YOUR LIFE
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.