Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: Assorted Silliness Mod  (Read 20116 times)

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
Assorted Silliness Mod
« on: May 21, 2009, 07:38:12 pm »

Howdy folks. I've not been long playing DF- a few months, really, but I thought I might burst onto the modding scene with this.

Basically, this thread is about taking DF jokes and turning them into DF features whilst keeping the game balanced.

Additions so far:

ELVES

Dwarven Irony: smelter reaction, Elf bones to wood. If we can't have wood, substitute elves.

Poncium: New mineral with a couple of smelter reactions. Anyway: Basically the frozen essence of self-importance, we'll have Elves drop a rock of this behind when they die. Make it refinable (with two bars of steel) into Poncium Steel, which is suitable for one thing,weapons (and trap components), which in turn are suitable for two things: Chopping down trees, and chopping down elves. 200% damage compared to iron, I'm thinking.

GOBLINS

The OTHER Iron Ore: Another smelter reaction, if you don't have anything better to do with them, goblin bones can be smelted with a low chance of turning into iron ore. 20% chance. Also with maybe a tiny chance of making some Antimagma (see below), to chuck in an element of risk?

He's 'armless!: A new trap component, SPECIFICALLY DESIGNED to lop bits off of goblins. I'm thinking small, but very cutty, and with a kickass CRIT_BOOST for that bloody-arcing goodness. Designed for ten of the same in a trap, so that you'll very possibly remove all of his limbs, his head AND his lower body. Fear the might of the lawnmower.

OH DEAR GOD THE BEES Another trap component, the beehive. Twenty hits of 10 gore damage each. Your enemies will leave eyeless and bleeding.

ORES AND MINERALS

Frigidium and Antimagma: This is entirely unsafe. Frigidium can be mined out and is quite valuable, but antimagma will immediately boil as soon as you make it in the Smelter. Fear the noble who demands a weapon rack of this stuff. Also possibly there to facilitate other things requiring cold- LOTS of cold.

Hey world! FUCK YOU! We weren't the first to pull the lever marked 'FUN'. Ancient dwarves did too, creating a new layer of stone in the process- 'Ashstone'. It's igneous extrusive, and can contain, along with normal igneous extrusive things, slag, which has a decent concentration of many different ores, and petrified creatures, which be smelted into gems

Credit: Untelligent, LegoLord, Deon and Boksi for help with tags and general aura of elf-beatery, Nicpon for basic idea for Ashstone and Varkarrus for suggesting preserved creatures in Ashstone be smeltable to gems.

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=1084

That's the link. It's only the objects folder at the moment, but if I get enough demand for it, I'll upload the full version, including two pregenned large worlds, my super-special-awesome init file settings, and tasty tasty errorlog results from me typoing 'forest' and the like.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2009, 09:00:34 pm by Blargityblarg »
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
Re: Assorted Silliness Mod
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2009, 08:55:58 pm »

NOTE: Is it possible to have a metal only available for battle axes, or is the distinction only made for crossbows and picks (or whatever else silver can't be used for?)

Nope. All melee weapons or no melee weapons. Also, if elves drop this mineral, they won't drop bones, so you'll have to go with one or the other.

I believe the rest will work, assuming normal and activated explodium are two different minerals.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2009, 11:44:24 pm »

Can I add in another itemcorpse which is an elf corpse, or even just bones and skull, or is it 1-per-creature?

I'll probably just have Poncium Steel used for melee weapons of whatever type then. Also, yes, Explodium and Activated Explodium are two different things.

Blossom of orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2009, 01:02:52 am »

Itemcorpses are 1-per-creature unfortunately. :P
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2009, 03:26:15 am »

Could I conceivably make all elves haul around a rock?

Fitting punishment, if nothing else.
Blossom of orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2009, 08:46:17 am »

Unfortunately, no. If you must have both, than you could duplicate the elf creature and entity files, and add a one to the end of the [CREATURE: tokens, (make sure to adjust the new entity to use your new elves, and not the old ones), and then make one of the elves have the itemcorpse, and the other not have it. This would then mean that about half of your sieges would have elves that dropped the rock, and the other half would drop elf bones.
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2009, 07:52:30 pm »

Hm There's a conundrum.

Doing what you suggested would result in more elves, which is evidently a bad thing.

However, crushing elves is very entertaining

AHA! Solution!

Smelter reaction, Elf skulls + flux to Poncium. Forget the whole [ITEMCORPSE:] kibosh.

++EDIT++
I've attempted to mod in Explodium and activated explodium, so far my attempts to find sme, refine it and spell horrible death for my testing group have met with failure, first time because I used a weird tage and didn't gen a new world, second because I just haven't found any yet.

++++RE-EDIT++++
Here are the additions I made, and the errorlog relating to Inert Explodium's environment.

Basic inert explodium MATGLOSS_STONE entry:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Errorlog pertaining to that entry:

Smelter reacton:

Metal entry for Activated Explodium:

Also, anyone know what the in-system names for elf and goblin skulls and bones are? I haven't the faintest clue where to look, and I need them for Dwarven Irony, Poncium and The Other Iron Ore.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2009, 10:25:19 pm by Blargityblarg »
Blossom of orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2009, 11:07:32 pm »

I'm having a hard time getting the skull reaction to only accept skulls from specific creatures, but here's a bone reaction, tested on animals, to piss off the elves more.

[REACTION:ELF_BONE]
 [NAME:refine wood from elf bone]
 [SMELTER]
 [REAGENT:1:BONES:NO_SUBTYPE:ELF:ELF]
 [PRODUCT:100:1:WOOD:NO_SUBTYPE:WOOD:FEATHER]
 [FUEL]

A similar reaction could also be used for goblins.

If we could only find a way to butcher elves, we could make poncium from their skin, as I'm familiar with those reactions, but alas, the ethics system doesn't work quite right in regards to sentient butchery.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2009, 11:09:33 pm by Untelligent »
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2009, 02:14:14 am »

Alrighty then! I might remove the [FUEL] tag from that, as it would require a sedimentary layer with carbonaceous material or magma to have any point to it otherwise, and it is less a 'smelter' reaction as it is a insult to the elves that happens to take place in the smelter.

Also, I think I'll make a new kind of tree called 'Elf Bone' or 'Petrified Elf'. If I can't stop it growing somewhere, though I'm pretty sure I can, I'll just explain it away as Armok getting pissed off with all the elven happiness and joy.

Now, for the goblin reaction, would something like this work?

++EDIT++
Just occurred to me that we might be able to use the whole CORPSE of the elf to refine poncium. Do we have the tags for a corpse, or am I wallowing in false hope here?
« Last Edit: May 23, 2009, 02:17:17 am by Blargityblarg »
Blossom of orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2009, 11:05:57 am »

Although an item tag called CORPSE exists, whatever combination of material tags I use always causes the smelter to ignore the reagent and produce a product out of thin air. This doesn't seem to work either.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2009, 11:15:05 am »

If you don't give your tree a [BIOME: tag, then it will not grow naturally.

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2009, 06:28:29 pm »

Just saying, I'll totally use this mod once it gets more polished.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2009, 06:53:16 pm »

Untelligent: Damn and blast. Another idea foiled. Oh well. Maybe make a small chance of some poncium appearing in the elf bone to wood reaction, then. I'm CERTAIN that's possible.

12amroy: That's what I was thinking, though now I'm starting to like the idea of Armok being just as dwarven and belligerent as we are.

inaluct: Sweetness
Blossom of orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2009, 07:23:35 pm »

To help with those refuse reactions:

[REAGENT:1:TYPE:SUBTYPE:MATERIAL:MATGLOSS]

The matgloss page does not have a list of matgloss tokens used in reactions because those are dependent on the matgloss entries in the other raw files.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2009, 02:58:02 pm »

Yeah, I already know about those pages. They don't help much for refuse reactions, though; most refuse items tend to be very difficult to word correctly, if possible at all.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7