Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: If I hear a Cliche DF joke in this thread.  (Read 5506 times)

Deimos56

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: unicorpion]
    • View Profile
Re: If I hear a Cliche DF joke in this thread.
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2009, 01:56:24 pm »

Goldfish not modified.

AAAHHHHH!!!!

(It looks like a carp - take it away, take it AWAY!!!)

Goldfish are a variety of carp.
Be sure and remember this. Those small orange creatures in that bowl are plotting your demise.
I'm curious what the barely conscious ai wrote about.
Well that went better than expected.  He went nuts and punched a rabbit to death, then the dogs and the whole dining hall ripped him to shreds.

dornbeast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2009, 01:59:36 pm »

Carp? I don't recall ever losing a dwarf to one.

So, are you lucky, better at keeping the booze supply up, or have you just not embarked anywhere that had carp?
Quote from: Dornbeast
Urist Austin, Axedwarf.  A dwarf barely alive.  Gentledwarves, we can rebuild him. We have the technology. We have the capability to build the world's first bionic dwarf. Urist Austin will be that dwarf. Better than he was before. Better, stronger, faster.

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2009, 03:13:22 pm »

So, are you lucky, better at keeping the booze supply up, or have you just not embarked anywhere that had carp?
Presumably lucky. My first serious fortress had carp and I had about a year of not having a stable booze supply.

But seriously, you guys are in denial. Especially Neruz, who doesn't even try to argue for his position. Urist McCyrilin doesn't either. Both of you guys just spout the same DF memes.

Have any of you actually tried poaching elephants and unicorns in the latest version? They won't attack dwarves unless they go berserk (which is a disappointingly rare occurrence), and even then, they still aren't dangerous, since they're probably dying at that point.

Seriously, go embark somewhere with elephants. Hunt them. Enjoy your barrel shortage.

kalida99

• Bay Watcher
  • ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2009, 03:34:53 pm »

Sure it's true, elephants and unicorns arn't so dangerous any more, big deal, some of us enjoy these little jokes. sure to some these jokes might be stupid or dumb, but others happen and some make a little comic relief over it, many people who say these jokes, often have experienced them in the past. For instance, i say the occasional carp joke because i've have entire trade caravans taken out by carp.

And some of us just like to remember old stories like boatmurdered.
Let's see how those degenerate sophisticates handle a healthy dose of pure unreasoning violence.
— Commander Fleyitch

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2009, 04:15:52 pm »

Elephants and unicorns...yea, not nearly as dangerous as they used to be.

Carp1 and hippos are still quite dangerous however.  It seems that if dwarves hang out by the river too often they will take offense at the intrusion and will eventually attack. 

Fish while technically not dangerous themselves cause dwarves that fight back to charge into the water and drown. (if they can beat the fish at 1/3 normal attack speed)

Hippos act like the elephants used to act back in 2D.  Usually running away, but like fish, eventually taking offense at the intrusion and attacking, after which they usually still hang out around the inevitable sock and then slaughter dwarves one at a time, or chase one unfortunate soul across the map for a season and eventually getting lured into the fortress proper.

Both of these however rarely produce deaths once you know what you are doing and understand their behavior.  Even if you aren't really paying attention, after the first death, even basic damage control skills can prevent additional deaths.  Carp and hippos are more dangerous than most other common world creatures, but little danger to an experienced player.  Mostly only newbies fall prey to them these days far as I can tell.

1All references to carp in the previous paragraphs apply to all large fish, not just their designated public relations fish

P.S. why did the chicken cross the road?  To get to the other side! HAHAHAHAHAHA!  (well you didn't say anything about cliche non-DF jokes)
« Last Edit: May 22, 2009, 04:20:08 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

dornbeast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2009, 06:05:44 pm »

Presumably lucky. My first serious fortress had carp and I had about a year of not having a stable booze supply.

But seriously, you guys are in denial.

No, I've gotten three dwarves killed by carp.

They were all the ones with good armor and weapon skill.

Then the goblins finished the job.
Quote from: Dornbeast
Urist Austin, Axedwarf.  A dwarf barely alive.  Gentledwarves, we can rebuild him. We have the technology. We have the capability to build the world's first bionic dwarf. Urist Austin will be that dwarf. Better than he was before. Better, stronger, faster.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2009, 08:28:52 pm »

I had lost a great many dwarves to a pond and river (next door to each other) filled with carp. After a short while, I had at least 3 named carp.

It was so annoying, I decided to see if I can make an execution ground out of the area by setting up a chain there. I wish it worked on my non-dwarf prisoners. :(

decius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2009, 09:21:12 pm »

Unicorns? Dangerous? Seriously?

I just had my starting ranger hunt and kill four of them. I forbade the tanned skins in time, but before I noticed the unicorn bones I had 135 unicorn bone bolts.

TBH, I think that all dwarf fortress problem solving falls either on the "Rube Goldberg" method, or the "pharaonic" one.
{Unicorns} produce more bones if the werewolf rips them apart before they die.

Qloos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 22, 2009, 11:15:51 pm »

Sure it's true, elephants and unicorns arn't so dangerous any more, big deal, some of us enjoy these little jokes. sure to some these jokes might be stupid or dumb, but others happen and some make a little comic relief over it, many people who say these jokes, often have experienced them in the past. For instance, i say the occasional carp joke because i've have entire trade caravans taken out by carp.

And some of us just like to remember old stories like boatmurdered.

That's all fine, but some of these jokes have reached the same level as someone saying "That's what she said" every time you try to have a conversation.

Except switch "That's what she said" to "With Magma!" and you get the same level of annoyance.

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 22, 2009, 11:24:48 pm »

The thing is, though, that these jokes should be true. Elephants and unicorns should be dangerous.

We need to get together and make a community modpack that fixes some of the things wrong with DF.

Splendiferous

• Bay Watcher
  • Psychotic. Primate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2009, 01:26:16 am »

Hi Inaluct!
"He returns once every thousand years! Or if the stars align! Or whenever he's bored."

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 23, 2009, 01:35:35 am »

:O

He lives.

Broose

• Bay Watcher
  • Pilfering Gatorhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 23, 2009, 01:59:12 am »

I said something like this, once. Except when I did it, everyone hated me.

Overdose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 23, 2009, 02:37:07 am »

The thing is, though, that these jokes should be true. Elephants and unicorns should be dangerous.

We need to get together and make a community modpack that fixes some of the things wrong with DF.
so, add DAMBLOCK:25 , AMBUSHPREDATOR, CAN_LEARN, LARGE_PREDATOR, and remove the biome restrictions?  ;)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 23, 2009, 04:04:50 am »

Are giant eagles still monstrous creatures of flesh ripping or have they been nerfed now?  And is it possible to set up a "Fuck the world" lever without using the pressure glitch?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4