Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Megaproject Phase One Complete  (Read 1650 times)

nirodragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Nirodragon cancels sleep: Interrupted by DF.
    • View Profile
Megaproject Phase One Complete
« on: May 21, 2009, 05:41:07 pm »

I had to scale back on size due to there not being enough magma (there's never enough, but too little for this, specifically).

I had intended to create a 100x100 tower of 'natural' obsidian by creating glass forms, flooding a level with magma, flooding the next level with water, raising the forms, and repeating.

At this time, I am creating a 100x50 tower.  The first level has just been filled with magma, and I am now preparing it to receive the cooling shockwave of water from a nearby brook (where the water will drain to when I'm done).

So, yes.  I currently possess a ground-level 100x50 reservoir at 7/7 magma in every tile.

For kicks, I'm going to copy the world and have the walls deconstructed in the copy.  See what happens.

if anyone wants to tell me how to get pics up to show you without having to get an account somewhere else, I'd be thrilled to get some screenshots posted for you all.
Urist McMiner cancels Mine: Taking a dump
Urist McMiner was disgusted by a miasma lately

I can't believe I just went there...

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
Re: Megaproject Phase One Complete
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2009, 06:00:18 pm »

I don't think tinypic requires you to make an account to host pics.

http://tinypic.com/

Be sure to use the IMG link, or the direct link inside IMG tags, which is the same thing as the IMG link.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

nirodragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2009, 06:48:46 pm »

Here it is.

Just so you know, there are 10 pics, and they're pretty big even after cropping a bit.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2009, 06:53:43 pm »

x6940.  Really.  That is a lot of job cancels.

What the heck happened?
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

nirodragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2009, 07:37:16 pm »

The last two survivors were trapped on the second floor with the magma glass furnaces, which I still had set for the infinite glass block cycle (collect sand [repeat], make green glass block [repeat]).

Those jobs loop back even if canceled.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2009, 07:41:38 pm »

How?

nirodragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2009, 08:48:45 pm »

How what?  How do they loop back?  I don't know.  If the player isn't the one to cancel them, the [repeat] setting tags these ones back on at the bottom of the queue.  I checked, though, and saw that the order to make glass blocks had been canceled already, probably due to lack of sand.

I've noticed that some workshop orders set to repeat will vanish if canceled, but others will keep looping like this.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2009, 08:54:24 pm »

How what?  How do they loop back?  I don't know.  If the player isn't the one to cancel them, the [repeat] setting tags these ones back on at the bottom of the queue.  I checked, though, and saw that the order to make glass blocks had been canceled already, probably due to lack of sand.

I've noticed that some workshop orders set to repeat will vanish if canceled, but others will keep looping like this.
Sand isn't one of them, I don't think.

nirodragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2009, 09:53:19 pm »

Loops like that for me all the time.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2009, 10:19:08 pm »

You don't need to fill the mold up with 7/7 magma to make obsidian. All you need is 2/7, so best to get mixed 2/7 and 3/7 magma and then pour water on it. You could still reasonably get your 100x100 obsidian block.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

ArkDelgato

• Bay Watcher
  • ERROR - LOGICAL FALLACY
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2009, 11:02:29 pm »

Show those goblins and their prissy little hollow towers.

DWARVES MAKE THEIR TOWERS SOLID.

nirodragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2009, 11:58:15 am »

You don't need to fill the mold up with 7/7 magma to make obsidian. All you need is 2/7, so best to get mixed 2/7 and 3/7 magma and then pour water on it. You could still reasonably get your 100x100 obsidian block.

I thought you needed at least 4/7 for it to solidify.  Hmm.

Also, the problem I was having was more that the magma was evaporating faster than I could pump it in with the 100x100 setup - I barely kept it from evaporating in the 100x50 zone.  However, I'm working on a design to flood the 100x50 area, then use some secondary engineering to expand it to the 100x100 zone.  Something about expendable raising drawbridges, I think. 21 mechanisms and a lot of glass blocks.

Now, where to get that stone when I can't break ground...........................
Secondary Obsidian Farm construction approved, designed.  Construction begins now.  :D

Doppel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2009, 12:13:02 pm »

Wow, that is really awesome.
I think you even only need 1/7 though, obviously that can evaporate, but if you have say half 1/7 and half 2/7 magma and you pour water on top of it, then i found out via experience that the "remaining" magma will be pushed aside, so that if you solidified half of the magma the rest will pretty much all be 2/7's. Maybe its a bit tricky with such a large mold though, but with my (much smaller) obsidian tower i never had any problems with this. Another tip is that if you can pour in enough magma in one go (without it evaporating faster then its coming in) then you can do prepare for two layers in one go by firstly cooling the magma in the mold with water, then letting it fill up with a layer of water. If your magma source is high enough again then you can pour magma on the water and letting the next level fill up with magma, after you directly solidify it again with water and so on. Pretty much two layers in one go like that. At least thats what i think is the most efficient. (my Obsidian tower is only about 20X20X20 now, took 3 or so years)
Doppel has been ecstatic lately. He took joy in playing DF lately. He slept on a rough cave keyboard recently.
He is a member of the Dwarf Fortress Forums.
Doppel likes the color Dark Blue, cats for their aloofness and girls for their silky soft brea beards.
He appreciates art and natural beauty.

NFossil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2009, 01:05:48 pm »

Yeah, like what Jim and Doppel said, you don't need 7/7 magma to get a wall, and you can go like: magma-water-magma-water-magma-etc. Remember if pouring magma over water, you need over 2/7 of water everywhere, or the water would evaporate instead of solidifying the magma.
My tower is 20x20x34, plus two smaller side towers. 100x100 is really impressive.

nirodragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2009, 02:37:59 pm »

Flooding it to 7/7 was mainly to get the thing to stop lagging me down, but if I'd had better control over my pumping system, I would have still had to go to 4/7 to keep it from evaporating before I could get the water system in place and pumping.

{snip} you can go like: magma-water-magma-water-magma-etc. Remember if pouring magma over water, you need over 2/7 of water everywhere, or the water would evaporate instead of solidifying the magma.{snip}

Interesting, that should speed things up quite a bit.  Thanks for that.  Again, I'll want to increase the depth of the water to 4/7 for evaporation-fighting, but basically the same.  :D

Pages: [1] 2