Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: SERIOUSLY?????  (Read 961 times)

nirodragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Nirodragon cancels sleep: Interrupted by DF.
    • View Profile
SERIOUSLY?????
« on: May 21, 2009, 03:18:08 pm »

Apparently, the human diplomat can pass through forbidden doors without any issues.

Well, except for the part where the entire orc siege is right outside said door, having just killed everyone in the Trade Depot.

And now, of course, the 50-someodd orcs are all inside my fortress, killing my 34 dwarves.  Because the human diplomat can open locked doors.
Urist McMiner cancels Mine: Taking a dump
Urist McMiner was disgusted by a miasma lately

I can't believe I just went there...

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
Re: SERIOUSLY?????
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2009, 03:19:35 pm »

Wow, the human diplomat did well to not get massacred by the orcs.  My one chased my representative on a wildgoosechase all the way around my moat because my representative decided that he just HAD to grab a random goblin's undershirt.

nirodragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2009, 03:26:41 pm »

Oh, he was killed all right.  As soon as the door opened, 3 elite orc snipers shot him, simultaneously.  His head is against the far wall, some 15 tiles away.

Also, it may not have been that idiot who unlocked the doors, because a savescum reveals that he couldn't get through, but the raccoonman merchants can.  I am definitely checking their files for the tags responsible and removing them.  Merchants have no need to pick locks.

Bloody primitive races mod.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2009, 03:37:16 pm »

So now we know that if orcs just sent a pack of "merchants" with them with each attack then they'd be unstoppable?

nirodragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2009, 03:41:07 pm »

Raccoonman merchants to open the doors, orc snipers to catch the runaways, and orc wrestlers to tear the rest limb from limb.

I swear, I'm thinking of making these things weaker so I have a chance when they outnumber me 3 to 1, but then that would remove the challenge of it.

So, any ideas on how to more quickly clean up after the siege ends, assuming I'm still alive?  I'm sick of sitting here for 10 minutes micromanaging because everyone's too busy picking up orcish iron to do anything else.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2009, 03:44:41 pm »

The suggestion from most players will be a 5 letter word starting with "M" and ending with "A".

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2009, 03:47:46 pm »

Raccoonman merchants to open the doors, orc snipers to catch the runaways, and orc wrestlers to tear the rest limb from limb.

I swear, I'm thinking of making these things weaker so I have a chance when they outnumber me 3 to 1, but then that would remove the challenge of it.

So, any ideas on how to more quickly clean up after the siege ends, assuming I'm still alive?  I'm sick of sitting here for 10 minutes micromanaging because everyone's too busy picking up orcish iron to do anything else.
lava trap?

you could drop a mountain on the stuff, but that still might not throw off your dwarves.
you could outright forbid the stuff

note that the more dwarves you specialize the less menial tasks will get done.

rickvoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2009, 03:53:14 pm »

The suggestion from most players will be a 5 letter word starting with "M" and ending with "A".
snip
lava trap?
;D

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2009, 04:17:14 pm »

Do orcs wear large armour/clothing...? If so, you can forbid it via the stock screen. Turning off any hauling not essential to clean-up will make it go quicker as well, but don't do this at the same time as the forbidding.

Next time you get a siege, alter the forbid options so that enemy items (and enemy corpses, if you're willing to micromanage a little so they don't stink up the hallways) are auto-forbidden.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2009, 04:37:41 pm »

If the mess is in an unsecure place, and I'm worried about the safety of my dwarves, I'll quantum stockpile dump it just inside a secure door or bridge. I always have a proper dump - either magma or chasm, etc. very close to the killing field. Anything I don't want, I don't create a stockpile for.

I keep a temporary stockpile set up to accept all unusable metal armor and arrows right in the killing field. Have the dwarves dump into bins there, and when complete, just haul the bins down to the furnaces. The dwarves can haul away the other useful bits, and the stuff you don't want will be left behind to be mass-dumped in the magma/chasm.

Any critical dwarves - farmer/cook/brewer don't have item hauling or refuse hauling on, so they just keep on working.

And yes, orcs wear large armor.

nirodragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2009, 06:24:39 pm »

I meant more that I want to speed up the hauling surge itself.  I don't let my dwarves outside to touch *anything* until the siege is lifted, and there's no wildlife worth talking about, so safety is a non-issue.  I was more focused on hauling the iron armor and such to a safe storage area so I can access it to melt it in case of another siege (I get one almost every season).

I can't just magmafy it all away, either, since I'm using my magma for another project (plus, using magma on this battlefield would block off my brook).  Also, these sieges are my only source of iron, which is the only metal I have access to without stealing stuff from caravans.