Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: DF+Forgotten Realms  (Read 1593 times)

Kronos

• Bay Watcher
  • Diorite Lord
    • View Profile
DF+Forgotten Realms
« on: May 21, 2009, 12:33:58 pm »

Wasn't sure if I wanted to put this in the DF general discussion or the 'general' general discussion, so I just put it here.

Some time ago I was thinking about the differences between DF "Dorfs" and standard Tolkienian Dwarves, and realized there were quite a few... if we're thinking about how they're described on the forums anyway; otherwise there are still many differences, but not necessarily many personality differences.
A few that sprung to mind were: Dorfen cats (the hordes that not only viciously defend the fortress, but also serve as a great source of food and clothing, and a decent source of armor), carrying children into battle, liberal application of magma and cats to all problems (that aren't solved with bridges, traps and/or weapons, both siege and otherwise), suicide by choice, suicide by idiocy, strange/fey moods, and most of all, their legendary warriors - no Tolkienian Dwarf of any strength has been known to shunt enemies dozens of feet through the air with a single swing of a hammer. Into another enemy. Or pierce so many organs with a single bolt.
And viewing it from the other end, Dwarves tend to have easier access to, and refining of, metal, don't usually use wood beds (I think), don't have to put up with nearly so much from their elves, and are... smarter, less imaginative, and have more intact morals.

And what if they existed in the same world? Or, more precisely, what if about 200 Dorfs found their way into a world with the standard fantasy races? Say, the Forgotten Realms? The first thing that comes to my mind is that they will colonize ANYWHERE. Doesn't matter if its a good mountain range, a dense forest, a desert, tundra, glacier or even an enemy fortress, they'll send in their colonists and build a nice fort.

I wish I knew where I was going with this... I guess I'm trying to ask; thoughts/opinions/ideas?

Mr Tk

• Bay Watcher
  • Would you like a mint? It's only waffer thin.
    • View Profile
Re: DF+Forgotten Realms
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2009, 09:50:35 pm »

Don't forget the Pratchett type dwarves who make bread so hard that it's used as weapons in battle.

Dwarf Urist throws his bloody crumpet.
The bloody crumpet strikes the goblin in the head.
It flies off in a bloody arch!

And the elves who in Pratchett lore live in a parasite universe, leaching of ours and have allergies against iron!

Somehow I in think in the more serious world of Tolkien and Forgotten Realms they would have legends about a bunch of Dwarves, who run around half naked, vomiting and paranoid flooding the front of their fort with magma at so much a mouses sneeze, that had been attacked by Mind Flayers one too many times.
First ten minutes of play I ate my loincloth and then got some limbs torn off by a super friendly rat. Thumbs up from me.

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2009, 10:17:12 pm »

no Tolkienian Dwarf of any strength has been known to shunt enemies dozens of feet through the air with a single swing of a hammer

What about that Hammerhand guy? Helm Hammerhand? HAMMERHAND! HAMMERHAND!

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2009, 10:33:07 pm »

One should totally use this for a setting for something! Dwarves(Tolkien) vs. Dwarves(DF) vs. Dwarves(diskworld) vs. Dwarves(human midgets) vs. Dwarves(Norse mythology) etc.

About 10 races, and ALL are dwarves, all are different, and all are fighting each other over who is the most dwarven!
CAN YOU IMAGINE THE AWESOME LEVEL OF THAT?!?
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2009, 10:44:54 pm »

One should totally use this for a setting for something! Dwarves(Tolkien) vs. Dwarves(DF) vs. Dwarves(diskworld) vs. Dwarves(human midgets) vs. Dwarves(Norse mythology) etc.

About 10 races, and ALL are dwarves, all are different, and all are fighting each other over who is the most dwarven!
CAN YOU IMAGINE THE AWESOME LEVEL OF THAT?!?
Damn, this idea is awesome. Armok gets +200 points.

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2009, 12:05:20 am »

Unforgotten Realms is better.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/unforgotten-realms?page=2
Almost EVERYONE are dwarves (they are otherwise kobold or ogre).

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2009, 02:57:46 am »

Or, more precisely, what if about 200 Dorfs found their way into a world with the standard fantasy races? Say, the Forgotten Realms?
Elminster tallow biscuit [5]
« Last Edit: May 22, 2009, 05:23:27 am by DJ »
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...