Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Ecologic Reports (Awaiting Orders)  (Read 4224 times)

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ecologic Reports (Awaiting Orders)
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2009, 04:43:24 pm »

FOOL.
Would you risk impairing a sentient being just because we're not sure?
If there is EVEN A CHANCE we must take every precaution possible.
Sentient life is more precious than a thousand sentient contact fleets.
So what do you think we should do with these illegal modified humans should we find them?
They too are stentient but their very existance is a travesty to actual life.
Besides what has been done, has been done, I mearly meant it would be a total waste of reasources to try and minize our impact on any sentient life that may exist considering the fact that the entire world has been terraformed and large scale genetic expriements and biological weapons testing has gone on here for some time.
I fear if there is a sentient species we could not possibly impact them more than we have done already.
Our course and our duty is clear confirm or disprove the existance of sentient life, and find the modified humans.

it appears that the solifuge specimen has a fairly slow metabolism that speeds up when it attempts to ambush prey.
If they can do that can the enter prolonged periods of dormancy?
This might make them extreamly difficult to erradicade should the need arise.
Still I think we can agree that we should be observing from a safe distance at this point, I vote we send in unmanned probes to further study these creatures.
Any word from the surving engineers yet?
So far we have discovered very little about them.

ooc:(yeah...I roleplay alot) <nitpick>I notice that Joseph has changed his name to Jacob<nitpick>

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2009, 04:55:12 pm »

They too are stentient but their very existance is a travesty to actual life.

How so? This anti-modification campagin always dehumanized people who are essentially human.

I've heard horror stories from people representing modified humans. Many modified humans were coereced into being modified, or, if they had chosen to be modified, only did so under the belief that they need to do these modifications in order to secure a better life for both them and their future, and believed in urban legends stating that the modification would not be permenant. Do you think that it is really important to kill off all modified humans, just for a little mistake in judgement?

One day, I met up with a modified human who was sentenced to be 'erased'. His "modification"? This human was blind, and so accepted a "modification" so that he can virtually see things. Because of that, he got killed. Just like that.

Mother Nature has given this man blindness, while many of us was blessed with the ability of seeing. Do you think, therefore, that it is good to kill off people who only desire to have a better life than that Mother Natuer has provided for them? I shudder at the basic inhumanity that the Union Law continues to support.

(OOC: The struck-out portions are declared UNCANON.)
« Last Edit: May 21, 2009, 05:12:32 pm by Servant Corps »
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2009, 05:01:50 pm »

ooc: I think we need a little clarification on modification as I was working on the assumption that modified humans we geneticly modified and so born that way.
I also got the impression that modified humans are extreamly rare which is why a population of them merited the kind of reasources we are deploying.

Psyco Jelly

• Bay Watcher
  • It begins!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2009, 05:08:23 pm »

(Modified is genetically modified. They were forced to be born that way.)
Not only is it not actually advertising anything, it's just copy/pasting word salads about gold, runescape, oil, yuan, and handbags.  It's like a transporter accident combined all the spambots into one shambling mass of online sales.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2009, 05:50:10 pm »

(OOC: Yeah, er, sorry for my little rant about modification. I thought it would be good that it is vague how modification would work, but meh.)

These people were forced into being modified. They did not choose. We need to erase the modifications, because it is the modifications that is the problem, not the people. These people are our own bretheren, and we cannot let them die by our hands.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2009, 06:05:01 pm »

(INTERNET FIRE GOD DAMN IT)
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2009, 06:23:07 pm »

(Modified is genetically modified. They were forced to be born that way.)
Thanks that makes things much clearer

Erase modifications?
That is what we do, and are doing!
It is the modifications that are the problem but there is no way to "unmodify" someone.
Once an organism has matured it is pretty much stuck like that, with no stem cells the body cannot change it can only regrow and replace minor cells.
Any attempt to alter it will only riddle it with cancer (or as an intresting expirement proved back in 198 SCAU if the organism has stem cells it can potentialy form several new organisms when an effort to change it's DNA is aplied as the cells broke away from something that was geneticly different to them and therefore a different organism).

How do we handle drugs trafficing?
We arrest the trafficer, seize the drugs, charge the trafficer, destroy the drugs.
How do we handle illegal weapons?
We arrest the owner, seize the weapons, charge the owner, destroy the weapons.
So why should we handle illeagal genetic modification any different?
What other way is there to correct the mistakes made in their creation.

I don't deny that they feel pain and suffering because they clearly do.
The human body is far from prefect but the internal interactions are far too complicated for any one person to understand, heck the entire knowledge base of our civilisation can doesn't completly understand it.
So even the smallest changes can cause problems and medical issues that you never expected.
99 out of 100 times something doesn't work right with the other systems in the body, usualy causing excrutiating pain.

Sigh...this may be the place, but it's certainly not time.
Have those probes been sent yet?

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2009, 08:14:25 pm »

>Nuke planet from orbit.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2009, 01:56:54 am »

>Nuke planet from orbit.

Our developmental budget does not allow for that...Sir.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2009, 04:42:57 am »

Captain, please seal of the cavern system. This will lower damage to the underground ecosystem, whilst buying you danger-free time to clean up.
I don't really care how you handle the modified humans. Kill them, capture them, whatever. Qua damage to hypothetical sentients, they are a 3 on a scale of one-ten. Advanced, misunderstood technology is about a 9. Remember our own planet- stonehenge, the pyramids, combustion engine, NUKES? Man, we were this close to destruction.
Long Live United Forenia!

Psyco Jelly

• Bay Watcher
  • It begins!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2009, 12:55:35 pm »

206 SCAU (Solar Cycles After Union)
Finneus Newman Fourth Compilation

I have returned unharmed. The distress signal was autonomous, and dented. Due to DNA scans, we have determined that the modified humans tried to silence it. This shows that they are intelligent, but culturally undeveloped. We suggest engineering a virus that could destroy them through asphyxiation, without harm to the environment. It'd be the most humane and cost-effective way to deal with them. With the DNA samples, we could extrapolate the nature of the modification, and send in a targeted virus. Is this not what this planet was terraformed for? Bio weapons?

Speaking of asphyxiation, the solifuge specimen has suffocated. We believe that they are adapted to high-pressure atmospheres in the underground. We could perhaps clone it for further study.

Joseph Woodard will handle the sealing off of the underground, and I will send in unmanned probes to collect information from below the tunnel system before it is sealed off, in case there are sentients and we should want to contact them at a later date.

206 SCAU (Solar Cycles After Union)
Joseph Woodard Third Compilation

Seal off the underground, and continue weapon study above ground? It'd be hard to seal off every cave, but given a couple of SC we could have it done. Additionally, if we find sentients we will bore a temporary hole though the surface and send in a sentient contact team. I myself will remain in Weapon Testing Station 3.
Not only is it not actually advertising anything, it's just copy/pasting word salads about gold, runescape, oil, yuan, and handbags.  It's like a transporter accident combined all the spambots into one shambling mass of online sales.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2009, 01:27:38 pm »

Bravo. Continue on your current course of action.
Long Live United Forenia!

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2009, 04:03:34 pm »

Start moving units to the area that DO have the resources to nuke it from orbit. They will however, be considered a final resort.

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2009, 06:43:12 pm »

Start moving units to the area that DO have the resources to nuke it from orbit. They will however, be considered a final resort.
That is a horrid waste and misuse of reasources it may be better to rig the unmaned probes that we are sending underground with large scale explosives.
This would work much better as a final resort... but I am not totaly in favour of it.
If the need arises we can deploy destructive weaponry very quickly we do not need to glass a potentialy habitable planet regardless of circumstance.
So far the worst case scenero appears that it may simply make it nessicary to quranteen the planet and no more.
On the subject of final resorts could the DNA of the soulifuge be used to create a similar disease for them?

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2009, 06:48:14 pm »

We need the final backstop.
Rule #1 of any horroresque situation, call the calvary at the begining.
Pages: 1 [2]