Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Ecologic Reports (Awaiting Orders)  (Read 4232 times)

Psyco Jelly

• Bay Watcher
  • It begins!
    • View Profile
Ecologic Reports (Awaiting Orders)
« on: May 21, 2009, 10:22:26 am »

206 SCAU (Solar Cycles After Union)
Finneus Newman Compilation

Greetings, Union Council. I have arrived safely at planet W1c-2. This is the previous site of the second Ecosystem Engineering Project (EEP2), and no complications arose during travel. As you know, the elite genetic engineers sent here are rumored to have modified humans in EEP2 - against Union law.

I have been instructed to collect as much information about the planet before Union law requires my team to destroy the modified humans. I have not yet observed one, but numerous reports say they are seven feet tall humanoids covered in slick chitinous shells. Though this is likely an exaggeration due to the fear among my scouts, no description can yet be disregarded. I hope to collect a live specimen within four Terran Cycles.

Other than the breaking of Union code, the terraforming and and ecologic construction on this planet are masterful. This planet was decided to have 70% of it's land to be covered in desert to test the survivability of numerous Bio-Weapons, and is doing so very well. We have the testing grounds set up in seven locations, one in a salty sea, two on barren rock, two on open sand, and two on the ice caps.

I write to you from an observation tower in a northern rain forest. I am awaiting your orders as to what data needs to be collected, as well as any information you may need.
Not only is it not actually advertising anything, it's just copy/pasting word salads about gold, runescape, oil, yuan, and handbags.  It's like a transporter accident combined all the spambots into one shambling mass of online sales.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
Re: Ecologic Reports (Awaiting Orders)
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2009, 11:18:14 am »

I take it we give you orders, yes?

>discover if there is any sign of intelligent life other than the modified humans.

Psyco Jelly

• Bay Watcher
  • It begins!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2009, 11:48:30 am »

Finneus Newman Second Compilation

Acknowledged. My team has deployed scouts deeper into the rain forest and the desert. Your fear of further breaking of Union code is well founded. During their search, a small team sent into the desert found the ruined scraps of the engineers' headquarters. It appears to have been mostly abandoned. We found a few corpses and even a small group of survivors. By the looks of the bones, the survivors were forced to resort to cannibalism.

We haven't found any intelligent life other than the modified humans, over half of the scout teams were lost or destroyed. We sent out single-man teams to collect their recordings.

On another note, during one of my explorations, we found a colony of giant insectoid creatures. Most likely adapted from a solifuge. We tried to avoid them, but the things were just too damn fast. One of them took down an entire transport. We are currently researching how the biosphere could possibly sustain an entire colony of predators.

No signs of modified humans. They may only be rumors... But we just picked up on a radio distress signal. It must be one of the lost search teams.

Course of action?
« Last Edit: May 21, 2009, 11:56:03 am by Psyco Jelly »
Not only is it not actually advertising anything, it's just copy/pasting word salads about gold, runescape, oil, yuan, and handbags.  It's like a transporter accident combined all the spambots into one shambling mass of online sales.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2009, 12:02:33 pm »

Investigate distress signal.
And get a full evaluation of the biosphere. If predators are improbable, we may have a problem.
Long Live United Forenia!

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2009, 01:46:45 pm »

What of the behaviour of the giant insects?
If they function as a colony they sould send out scouts of some kind-->Capture a live specimen for metabolic anylasis if possible.
And I would also request a full investigation into the events surrounding the abandoning of the engineers' headquarters including a sesismic scan incase of intact, subterrianial structures, futher examination of the remains to discover the time approximate time of death and full search to find the remains of any weapons or defense systems that may or may not exist.

Psyco Jelly

• Bay Watcher
  • It begins!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2009, 02:16:40 pm »

Finneus Newman Third Compilation

We've sent an armed away team to investigate the distress signal, but there are no reports, and the signal continues. I've decided to investigate personally. I'm taking four of the best trained survival and weapons experts. They should be able to get me past the insects.

It's not that the environment can't support predators, it's that it shouldn't be able to support so many large predators in one place. I'm leaving Joseph Woodard to further investigate the insects, as well as conduct the required seismic scans. I will report to you within 10 TC.

Joseph Woodard Compilation

Greetings. I've investigated the engineer's headquarters. It was abandoned about 4 SC before we arrived. Some of the engineers have been reconstituted, and are under questioning before confinement. They say that the modified humans were created out of necessity. Apparently, another form of life attacked their base. From underground. They hadn't set up defenses, since the planet was uninhabited and its coordinates classified.

The seismic scans reveal an utterly huge underground cave system below most of the planet. They appear to be natural - they weren't part of the terraforming project. This is disturbing. If there was natural life below the surface, the terraforming could have disrupted it. It could be sentient based on the attack, but that is unlikely. The invaders used no weapons, only sheer numbers and brute force. The survivors were the ones who locked themselves in bio-hazard vaults.

A solifuge specimen was collected and studied. It doesn't breath through book lungs like most arthropods, but instead oxygenates the blood through a large number of small hairs near it's rear. They have no poison glands, as their size easily compensates, and communicate through vibrations, dancing on the sand. It is likely that the solifuge nest is connected to the underground tunnel system.

This is troubling. Should set the planet on high alert? I am awaiting your next command until Finneus returns.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2009, 02:43:14 pm »

We see no reason to worry about the subterranean life. It is not space faring thus not an immediate threat. However, we may be a threat to them.
Change mission status to evacuate. We cannot go underground to find out if there is any sentient life on the planet, but neither can we risk damaging the habitat of a sentient life form further. Remove all signs of human occupation. Begin immediately.
A sentient contact fleet will be sent to the planet later.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2009, 02:44:51 pm »

With battleships accompanying it, just in case.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2009, 03:00:02 pm »

With battleships accompanying it, just in case.
Did I say contact fleet? I meant euthanising fleet!
No, seriously.
Battle ships? Man, these things lived underground for their entire lives. They don't have spacecraft. Even if- hypothetically- our explorer should screw up so badly that he leaves behind every single piece of human technology he had with him, as well as several fully-functioning space ships, and the fleet took ten years to get there, they still wouldn't be a match for the three fighters which a sentient contact fleet carries.
A battleship would be a waste of resources.

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2009, 04:00:34 pm »

I disagree we do not know for sure if senteint life is present.
None the less it seems a wise a course to send additional reasources.
Our main course of action sould be confirm the pressence of setient life and only then intiate contact or remove all traces of our technology.
To do other wise would waste time reasources and distract from the main isssue because of what could possibly be a wild goose chase.
But in the mean time Joseph set up unmanned observation posts in the tunnels and around the solifuge coloney and move all opperations to ground confirmed as solid by sesmic scans.
Recall and reduce manned operations byond this.
I also request more information on the specimen and the insect colony:
What is the estimated population of the colony.
What is the approximate nutreint/oxygen demand of the organism.

I have another question that you can't answer and that is why does everyone around here get excited at the mere mention of sentient life?

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2009, 04:04:09 pm »

>Nuke from orbit.

Problem solved.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2009, 04:05:31 pm »

I disagree we do not know for sure if senteint life is present.
None the less it seems a wise a course to send additional reasources.
Our main course of action sould be confirm the pressence of setient life and only then intiate contact or remove all traces of our technology.
To do other wise would waste time reasources and distract from the main isssue because of what could possibly be a wild goose chase.
But in the mean time Joseph set up unmanned observation posts in the tunnels and around the solifuge coloney and move all opperations to ground confirmed as solid by sesmic scans.
Recall and reduce manned operations byond this.
I also request more information on the specimen and the insect colony:
What is the estimated population of the colony.
What is the approximate nutreint/oxygen demand of the organism.

I have another question that you can't answer and that is why does everyone around here get excited at the mere mention of sentient life?

FOOL.
Would you risk impairing a sentient being just because we're not sure?
If there is EVEN A CHANCE we must take every precaution possible.
Sentient life is more precious than a thousand sentient contact fleets.

>Nuke from orbit.

Problem solved.
The sentient contact fleet will of course have the standard 'false alarm nuke the place' devices installed.

Psyco Jelly

• Bay Watcher
  • It begins!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2009, 04:12:33 pm »

Joseph Woodard Second Compilation

Evacuate the entire planet? Such a task would be difficult, it'd take an SC to remove every trace of human presence. I could have the team kept in low orbit while the sentient contact team does it's job. Perhaps I could send in some unmanned probes into the solifuge nest, to observe exactly what is down there. The solifuge nest is the only passage to the tunnel system.

Newman has contacted me, he says the distress signal was left at the site of a crash. It's klaxon was sounding autonomously. It looks as though it's been dented. I hypothesize that the modified humans tried to silence it. He'll have a full compilation within a TC.

I propose continuing observation from low orbit, or aqua-platforms. The ground obviously isn't safe. In other news, it appears that the solifuge specimen has a fairly slow metabolism that speeds up when it attempts to ambush prey. Though they still couldn't sustain themselves on meat alone. Perhaps they are similar to Terran ants and harvest algae?

Awaiting Confirmation.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2009, 05:03:22 pm by Psyco Jelly »

Golgath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2009, 04:17:06 pm »

All remaining humans should be evacuated as soon as possible.  Our current priority should be minimizing further losses of life, and isolating the modified humans until we can determine exactly what has been done with them.

We should also observe from safety, as possible.  We cannot currently worry about removal all traces of our presence...  Our first priority should be recovery of personnel, and then we can decide how to do things once we have more information.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2009, 04:22:10 pm by Golgath »
I fully endorse the idea of mountain goats that hunt man.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2009, 04:33:04 pm »

Look, we got a seperate problem on our hands, the "modified humans". It would be a waste of time if we evacuate all those 'modified humans', and then kill them off.

Modified humans are still humans, and we have a duty to them. I have lodged protests against this unjust Union Law, and I will lodge a protest again. I belive that instead of extermating all modified humans, we must start a program so that these humans become 'unmodified'.

I state this because I care about humans everywhere, modified or non-modified.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.
Pages: [1] 2