Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: The Great Bridge  (Read 10073 times)

Mipe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The Great Bridge
« on: May 21, 2009, 06:13:20 am »

So, I casually genned a default world and browsed around for embark... First thing I noticed:

- there are two continents, one to north and one to south
- they are separated by an ocean
- there is a large island in the ocean, that is just one world tile away from the southern continent
- all races on northern continent
- all races minus goblins on southern continent
- elves only on the large island

You can guess what I am going on about. The title kind of gives it away. I plan to embark and build bridges until the two continents are connected! Starting with connecting the major island to the southern continent. The days of peaceful isolation for elves are over!

So, I embarked with miners, masons, architect and - of course - heaps of stone and booze. I found myself on a nice black sand beach. Noticed that there was no way above, no ramps, you know, so I made ramps and started constructing the bridge. Six tiles wide, you know, for the war machinery and stuff to move onto the elven resort.

Designate, unpause, whoa... what is that, water?

Halp, I am getting flooded! No, wait, that is just ocean waves. I set meeting zone above the beach and watch as the water splashes over my wagon. Oh well, it is still walkable; the project shall proceed!

Yes, there is some wildlife, just horses. If they bother the bridge builders, the woodcutter will bloody his steel axe.

Right. Strike the earth! Er, ocean. Er. Eh, you know what I mean. Anyway, as you can see, the land on north is the large island, while the land on south is part of the massive southern continent. Once the bridge is complete, the two land masses will be connected... and then I shall see about connecting further to the northern continent. Which will be quite a challenge.

Ahh, it is oddly calming to watch the waves splash against the coast...
« Last Edit: May 21, 2009, 06:18:37 am by Mipe »

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
Re: The Great Bridge
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2009, 06:25:39 am »

The big question then becomes if the bridge will remain if you abandon and allow civs to cross...

Mipe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2009, 07:06:32 am »

Which would be a good way to make more permanent structures, then? An elaborate obsidian farm method? There is no magma around here, though. Oh well.

ArkDelgato

• Bay Watcher
  • ERROR - LOGICAL FALLACY
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2009, 07:37:30 am »

Perhaps a nice stoneblock floor across the entire world?

Lav

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2009, 07:43:26 am »

Personally I suspect building a floor bridge has a greater chance to be registered by the game.

Even though I really think there's zero chance the game will understand that the continents are now linked. :-)
Seems to be the way with things on this forum; if an invention doesn't involve death by magma then you know someone's going to go out of their way to make sure it does involve death by magma... then it gets acknowledged as being a great invention.

Mipe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2009, 08:14:06 am »

Well, I've built the bridge, the immigrants kept coming and my original architect met his demise on the ocean floor after the wooden scaffold has been deconstructed under his feet. I abandoned and went "Play now!" in adventure mode, but as soon as I move, it locks up. Something is up with the site... :(

Correction, it just takes minutes between steps. Freaky.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2009, 08:19:44 am by Mipe »

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2009, 08:25:36 am »

Had that, too.

Fort mode; 50 fps, fine.
Adven Mode; 0.0007 FPS, same site

Mipe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2009, 08:49:22 am »

Okay, after a few steps I can move normally. But I was treated to a horrible scene... corpses everywhere, few remaining dwarves... A pile of dead wardogs and puppies in the temporary shelter. I thought they'd migrate out, but it seems as if a terrible atrocity took place here.

The bridge is still there, intact. I was able to traverse to the large island and butcher the elves.

A lot of corpses on the bridge... Out of 30 dwarves and 20 animals... few remain alive. Just what abandon does? Is it like the leader going "Alright, guys, we're done here, it is time to grab your friend's throat and tear it out it good!".

I've run into a weaver who had the fey mood when I abandoned. I'm starting to think he killed the lot, as the fort didn't have the cloth he demanded...

I've also run into animal trainer, one of the immigrants that arrived just before I abandoned. He has a wife somewhere, when asked of family, he weaves a tale of himself and his wife settling in this very place. I kinda feel guilty.

It seems most of the remaining dwarves are living on the bridge itself rather than in the temporary hollowed-out cave that served as a living space and storage. I found dozens of dead dogs there.

Alrighty then. Bridge building does work, so the project was a success! I am going to embark on the island and see if civs other than elves are present.

Edit: Alright, here is the verdict...

It is CONNECTED.

The bridge I built over ocean is connecting the southern continent and large island, where formerly only elves lived. Now it is accessible by humans and - orcs. No goblins, but I could import them from the northern hemisphere if I can find a way to leapfrog over more than 1 world tile of ocean. That is 16x16 embark tiles - and they cannot overlap each other. Bugger.

Oh, and a skeletal cougar slaughtered my adventurer before I could find a single elf. Elves... by a terrifying biome. Uh. They're evil, I say.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2009, 09:18:58 am by Mipe »

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2009, 12:33:11 pm »

The only way I can think of to fix your un-embarkable ocean problem is to first: build a bridge as far as you can in fortress mode, then travel to that bridge as an adventurer and use tweak to change the tiles at the end of the bridge to earthen tiles, although, this will probably make them collapse... hmm, this might be harder than I thought...
Option number 2: Tweak the very edge tiles in fortress mode from ocean to some type of wall, like obsidian, starting from the very bottom z-level, working your way to the top.
From there, you should be able to keep expanding that ground with tweak until you get to the region that's all ocean, and maybe, just maybe, it will allow you to embark on top of that ground you made.

ArkDelgato

• Bay Watcher
  • ERROR - LOGICAL FALLACY
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2009, 07:24:14 pm »

couldn't you use embark anywhere to embark on the edge of your old fort?

Domini0n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2009, 07:31:46 pm »

yeah, only after tweaking and adding some extra tiles to the end of the bridge, as you aren't allowed to embark on a pre-established fort.

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2009, 07:45:55 pm »

yeah, only after tweaking and adding some extra tiles to the end of the bridge, as you aren't allowed to embark on a pre-established fort.
Not even that, with embark anywhere you could embark on your old fort, but the problem is that embark areas are segmented, so even if you made a bridge straight through one whole region tile, you'd still need a section of land to embark upon in the next region tile, in this case, it would have to be made with tweak, since he's building over the ocean. haha

Malicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2009, 12:32:01 am »

Quite unfortunately, I don't think you did what you think you did.  A bit of experimenting on my part shows that DF seems to consider only the regional map when considering what civs can get where, and any region tiles with a site are considered land.  As such, the simple act of embarking on a region tile marked as water changes it to "land", bridging the landmasses even if there isn't a real land path between them.

Regenerate that same world (exporting an image of it while in fortress mode will also create in the DF folder a text file that starts with the name of the site, which contains the world generation info that created the world), go to the same region tile, then just embark on any spot there.  Your embark site doesn't even need to touch the edge of the local map.  Then abandon it, and the landmasses should be connected again, and civ access should be changed as such.

Theoretically, you could probably make larger "bridges" by using embark anywhere to plunk a few wagons into the ocean in a line across the regional map.  I haven't tested this, though.

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2009, 12:40:40 am »

Related!

Just in case it hasn't been mentioned before.

Iroel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2009, 07:02:42 am »

If you needed land to embark on in the next region, couldn't you theoretically make an lever-activated obsidian-making device in fortress mode, then activate it as an adventurer?

...if you can, I seriously need to do that.
« Last Edit: Tomorrow at 25:61:61 PM by Iroel »
Pages: [1] 2 3