Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11

Author Topic: A suggestion on poop handling  (Read 18351 times)

Craftling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A suggestion on poop handling
« Reply #75 on: June 04, 2009, 04:01:13 am »

Actually this pretty much has to go in. Have you seen the features of this game?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Floodgates! Nobles! Happy Dwarves! And now to add more suspense, action and drama, PIPING! and REAL WASTE SYSTEMS!

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 05, 2009, 01:01:45 pm »

As a mater of fact, we do already have pipe sections in the game, so logically the dwarves should have plumbing to take care of waste disposal and be able to provide running water-or, if the needs called for it, magma. Just turn on the faucet to drown the intruders! So you can choose between massive projects of digging or piping-or a combination-for waste disposal. And we are missing thieve's guilds. Those are part of almost every fantasy setting, and what better place for that than the sewers.

Edit: And the thieves guilds themselves would actually make the fortress guard NECESSARY. Right now, the only use is when a tantrum spiral begins and you have a chance to cut it off. Potentially.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2009, 03:18:25 pm by Byakugan01 »
From Mr. Welch's 1350 things he is not allowed to do in a RPG:
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
171. My character's dying words are not allowed to be "Hastur, Hastur, Hastur"
218. No matter my alignment, organizing halfling pit fights is a violation.
231. I am not allowed to do anything that would make a Sith Lord cry.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 06, 2009, 02:46:03 am »

Thieves' Guild is a pretty silly concept

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 06, 2009, 04:36:56 am »

Thieves' Guild is a pretty silly concept
Organisations like the 'ndrangheta, cosa nostra or the mob aren't unusual. Thieves' guilds are usually ridiculously easy to find and bargain with in most rpg's though. The title guild also gives them a sense of respectability and officialness that they, by definition, shouldn't have.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

Craftling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 06, 2009, 05:55:29 am »

Gangs of Thieves not theives guild. Different gang factions would live in the sewer, having turf wars and etc. Until the sewers flood or the police arrive.

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 06, 2009, 09:42:20 am »

Thieves guild would not be open about their trade-for obvious reasons. For the same, they would also either bribe your guards or hide where they would have difficult being found-and the sewers are the best bet for that.

Even if sewage PROPER isn't implemented, there should be a need to design a waste disposal system-which criminal elements may take up residence in.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2009, 04:57:37 pm by Byakugan01 »
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 06, 2009, 05:18:54 pm »

Those gangs would be expected to dig out their own hideout, or at least the secret entrance to it. Would we like that? Would we like to keep it hidden from us? It could be like the soon to be underground features, but generated during the game, if there are criminal dwarves. The player would then depend on his detective dwarfs, or accidentally tunnelling into the secret hideout, like the old HFS, to discover it.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2009, 11:16:29 am by Silverionmox »
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

ArkDelgato

• Bay Watcher
  • ERROR - LOGICAL FALLACY
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 06, 2009, 09:14:48 pm »

Having dwarves in the , say, third generation of migrants start to use alibi's (make rock door) while, say, grabbing gold coins from the treasury and hiding them in a stealthed off-shoot cave while the player is none the wiser would be sexually pleasurable.

When videogames get this advanced, someone is doing something right.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 07, 2009, 12:38:09 am »

the only problem with theivery is that it's too difficult to hide.

mostly because of the users over-arching omniscience

ArkDelgato

• Bay Watcher
  • ERROR - LOGICAL FALLACY
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 07, 2009, 12:51:48 am »

in a large fortress, calling it "bring item to stockpile" while stealing
and when selling the ill gotten goods at trade time "bring item to depot"
would hide it pretty well.

The player would need to randomly select peasant #126 to see where he is actually going.

I think it could work.

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 07, 2009, 11:00:27 am »

If the guilds can build their own (hidden) entrances, this could obviously work. Should we make a separate suggestion thread for this?

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 07, 2009, 04:52:04 pm »

Having dwarves in the , say, third generation of migrants start to use alibi's (make rock door) while, say, grabbing gold coins from the treasury and hiding them in a stealthed off-shoot cave while the player is none the wiser would be sexually pleasurable.

Toadyone is going to be sued for so many ruined keyboards by the time v1.0 comes out.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Tenebrais

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 08, 2009, 06:01:53 am »

Toadyone is going to be sued for so many ruined keyboards by the time v1.0 comes out.

Toady One will have at least two cults worshipping him by the time v1.0 comes out.

Urist McDetective

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 09, 2009, 04:18:53 am »

The player would then depend on his detective dwarfs

I knew, sooner or later the suggestion would be made. I just didn't think I would somehow be related to poop handling when it happened.
WELCOME TO FUCKING BAY12!
 - not only do they have the weapons, they also have the Fortresses -
I have noticed a rather mixed reaction with microcline, but what do people think of olivine?
Oh I love olivine.  I think dark green furniture makes the fortress tasteful.
Wait, what?

Felblood

• Bay Watcher
  • No, you don't.
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 19, 2009, 01:43:49 am »

I'd like to sewer sewers go in eventually, but I want them to be a late game sort of thing, and I want to see armies and diplomacy first.

Just dumping the stuff outside should be sufficient for starting fortresses, but as you crowd more dwarves in the same vertical space increasingly elaborate solutions should become necessary. Of course, then I'm going to have to start playing chasm maps more often...

The king should demand only the finest of bathrooms, complete with golden bathtub. --hot, fluffy towels a plus.

Wait, how are common dwarves going to clean and wash themselves without sinks and washtubs?

Dwarves need public baths that they can use (for a fee, once the economy starts up). Each room needs to have only one tub though, so dwarves don't have to be put out by exposure to nudity.
The path through the wilderness is rarely direct. Reaching the destination is useless,
if you don't learn the lessons of the dessert.
--but you do have to keep walking.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11