Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11

Author Topic: A suggestion on poop handling  (Read 18354 times)

ArkDelgato

• Bay Watcher
  • ERROR - LOGICAL FALLACY
    • View Profile
Re: A suggestion on poop handling
« Reply #60 on: May 27, 2009, 07:42:57 pm »

How much booze do you need to spike the water cistern with to make dwarves forget about it being the active sewer?

Idiom

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_THOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 27, 2009, 10:26:50 pm »

How much booze do you need to spike the water cistern with to make dwarves forget about it being the active sewer?
Doesn't matter. Put the well in a legendary dining room and they will drink from it without complaint.

Dakira

• Bay Watcher
  • [LURKER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 28, 2009, 09:54:38 pm »

Agreed on the "not yet" statement for dwarf feces. I'd rather have other features put in first.

The big draw in this suggestion for me is the engineering aspect as it adds
another layer onto the fortress for self sufficiency. The next fort I make will probably have central plumbing and heating anyway just for fun.

I'd like the "make a tag" idea but that's probably difficult to work with, then again we do have a tag for allowing the economy or not.
There's no such thing as useless science. Now we need to weaponize this.
Everyone should:
play checkers.
fight clowns with water.

Murphy

• Bay Watcher
  • Lazy half-ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 29, 2009, 04:42:22 am »

We only have an on/off tag for the economy because it is very unrealistic and unreliable as it is now - a potential gamebreaker. When it is reworked, I'm sure, the tag won't have to be there anymore.

Waste disposal, on the other side, does not seem to have any game-breaking potential. And it does add some more engineering challenge to the player, which is good. Not that it is more important than, say, army arc. But still, I support the idea.

Also... the game does thoroughly model dirt, and blood, and vomit, and other filth... so why say no to feces, really?

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 29, 2009, 05:40:55 am »

The Dwarven GI tract is a fission reactor capable of extracting 100% of the syntropy of any matter and therefore they need not poop; any waste products that would be generated are kept around until they are needed to balance thermodynamic equations involved with metabolism of future meals, or they are simply dissolved and emitted as sweat or extruded through vesicles in the skin. Pretty gross, really, I wonder if pooping would be LESS disturbing.
quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.
2. To find fault or criticize for petty reasons; cavil.

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 29, 2009, 05:53:23 am »

Oh, also, for a cultural reference, night soil (basically, untreated human sewage) is an extremely important ingredient in modern farming all over the world. The nitrogen cycle will not be interrupted for the sake of anyone's modesty; there are things in your poop that need to be returned to nature, and there are organisms whose sole job is to eat your shit, and plants eat their shit and combine it with sunlight and the carbon from C02 molecules to create more delicious corn, which you will shit out again in a somewhat-digested form.

:( This thread just devolved, i'm sorry.
quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.
2. To find fault or criticize for petty reasons; cavil.

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 29, 2009, 05:59:01 am »

Why? That's to the point.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 30, 2009, 03:03:57 am »

I'll be more interested in this once/if proper piping is implemented. It would be slightly silly having a channel running to everyone's room to act as the plumbing of a major sewerage system. It would be like your own toilet directly emptying onto an underground freeway.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 03, 2009, 08:58:52 pm »

Personal flush toilets are a bit beyond the 1400s setting

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 03, 2009, 09:00:14 pm »

From Wikipedia:

# circa 26th century BC: Flush toilets were first used in the Indus Valley Civilization. The cities of Harappa and Mohenjo-daro had a flush toilet in almost every house, attached to a sophisticated sewage system. [2]
# circa 18th century BC: Flush toilet constructed at Knossos on Minoan Crete[3]
# circa 15th century BC: Flush toilets used in the Minoan city of Akrotiri.[citation needed]
# 9th century BC: Flush toilets in Bahrain Island.[4]
# 1st to 5th centuries AD: Flush toilets were used throughout the Roman Empire. Some examples include those at Vindolanda on Hadrian's Wall in Britain. With the fall of the Roman Empire, the technology was lost in the West.[citation needed]

chucks

• Bay Watcher
  • Have Cutlass -- Will Travel
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 03, 2009, 11:45:36 pm »

Too bad bidets didnt really come around until the 1700s.  Having a royal mandate for matching masterpiece toilet and bidet in a noble's private bathroom would be awesome.
Computer says 'No'.

Lymojo

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:SMARM][PREFSTRING:pendulous balls]
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 04, 2009, 01:14:06 am »

From Wikipedia:

# circa 26th century BC: Flush toilets were first used in the Indus Valley Civilization. The cities of Harappa and Mohenjo-daro had a flush toilet in almost every house, attached to a sophisticated sewage system. [2]
# circa 18th century BC: Flush toilet constructed at Knossos on Minoan Crete[3]
# circa 15th century BC: Flush toilets used in the Minoan city of Akrotiri.[citation needed]
# 9th century BC: Flush toilets in Bahrain Island.[4]
# 1st to 5th centuries AD: Flush toilets were used throughout the Roman Empire. Some examples include those at Vindolanda on Hadrian's Wall in Britain. With the fall of the Roman Empire, the technology was lost in the West.[citation needed]

Well sure, but if it was lost to the Dark Ages it was lost to most fantasy settings. Right?

Dwaref

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 04, 2009, 01:31:39 am »

Right?
Not really. Nothing places DF in a specified region, just in a specified frame of development, one that evidently has the technology to have flushing toilets.

Even if it's just piping that transfers the filth when emptying a pail of water into the drain, it's there.
He is somewhat reserved. He prefers to be alone. He doesn't need thrills or risks in life. He is never optimistic or enthusiastic about anything. He has a fertile imagination. He is open-minded to new ideas. He is put off by authority and tradition. He is very straightforward with others. He is very disorganized. He thinks it is incredibly important to strive for excellence. He has very little self-discipline. He takes time when making decisions. He doesn't really care about anything anymore.

alfie275

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 04, 2009, 01:45:48 am »

The ancient Chineese had flushing toilets with water heated seats.
I do LP of videogames!
See here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrAlfie275

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 04, 2009, 03:26:17 am »

I don't see the attraction, but some people like to talk shit so more power to them.
As far as I can tell, the attraction is that feces leads to sewage, sewage leads to sewers and it's a common trope in fantasy settings to have giant rats, thief's guild secret bases, evil cults and horrible mutants dwell in sewers. While I am not terribly interested in feces in and of themselves, I am interested in sewers full of sewage and all of the interesting things you find in a fantasy game sewer. It's also an interesting mega-project to build a sewer system for your fort that drains into an elven forest retreat.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11