Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11

Author Topic: A suggestion on poop handling  (Read 18389 times)

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A suggestion on poop handling
« Reply #45 on: May 26, 2009, 06:38:47 am »

The refuse would go to an organic refuse pile as normal, generating miasma. A compost pile is composed out of equal parts dry plant material and organic refuse (and a bit of chalk and manure), can reach temperatures approaching 80°C inside, and doesn't smell or spread miasma. So it could be kept inside without much trouble, if necessary - it doesn't need sunlight anyway. It's best to do it on soil though, due to the organisms living there. But that shouldn't be a problem anyway.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

Tenebrais

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 26, 2009, 06:58:49 pm »

As a side note, I am amused that people who don't bat an eyelid at incinerating elven traders with magma blanch at the thought of dwarves going to the toilet.

I support the idea of dung being used as a fuel source (especially animal dung). Would be useful on those desert maps with no coal or magma.

Idiom

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_THOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 26, 2009, 07:53:27 pm »

I said it before, I'll say it again. Sewage is as vital as farming for any civilization. (and twice as fun to devise systems for).

Toady Will not Handle Poop for You.
I can't stop giggling.

Drake1500

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 26, 2009, 08:45:43 pm »

Although (regrettably) necessary, I seriously think that Toady needs a few things before he adds this little tidbit:

a) better ideas (there are a few ideas that are just brought up again and again, within this thread)

b) a more complete game overall (that means, not freakin' yet!). Changes to the game structure are in order before this is even a viable addition. (Changes such as more/better macromanagement and a better way of handling objects/stuff/liquids) Maybe we could discuss this change in tandem with other (more useful/universal) changes?

chucks

• Bay Watcher
  • Have Cutlass -- Will Travel
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 26, 2009, 11:09:00 pm »

I strongly agree that there are many other changes to consider as higher priority than poop handling, but I do think it would be fun to very far down the road eventually have a system of waste management in place.  The game as a whole does need a great deal more changes, but I actually have seen DF improve by leaps and bounds over a timeframe of a few years.  I think of major releases being every 6-9 months overall.
Computer says 'No'.

Craftling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 26, 2009, 11:21:35 pm »

So its more of a bloat?

chucks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 26, 2009, 11:25:25 pm »

Oh, most definitely.
Computer says 'No'.

Idiom

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_THOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 27, 2009, 12:34:04 am »

Just like farming was a bloat on the dev list.  ::)

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 27, 2009, 04:54:56 am »

I don't see the attraction, but some people like to talk shit so more power to them.

chucks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 27, 2009, 10:46:53 am »

I don't think that it's as much of a matter of people wanting pooping dwarves as much as people wanting a new source of fuel and fertilizer.
Computer says 'No'.

Lymojo

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:SMARM][PREFSTRING:pendulous balls]
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 27, 2009, 11:17:29 am »

I don't think that it's as much of a matter of people wanting pooping dwarves as much as people wanting a new source of fuel and fertilizer.

Definitely not the case for me. The most fun I've had in this game comes from digging a home out of the rock and making neat mechanics and architecture and water-based mega-projects. It's the idea of needing to build a functional sewage system that appeals to me. In fact, I'd probably feel cheated if dwarf waste were just an easy fuel source, rather than a source of miasma and death.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 27, 2009, 01:02:24 pm »

It's pretty much all of the above for me.  The engineering challenges, the legitimate uses, and the downright gross aspects.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 27, 2009, 04:28:59 pm »

I'm most interested in the drowning things in it bit

Tenebrais

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 27, 2009, 04:52:35 pm »

Weaponised sewage is a fun idea. But for that to really work you'll need a proper merging of the liquid systems for water/magma and for other liquids (blood, vomit). And once that happens I'd much rather dump my foes into a pool full of blood than into the septic tank. Though either idea sounds fun.

Yeah, I like this idea both for the extra challenge and for the practical applications.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 27, 2009, 05:13:37 pm »

Weaponised sewage is a fun idea. But for that to really work you'll need a proper merging of the liquid systems for water/magma and for other liquids (blood, vomit). And once that happens I'd much rather dump my foes into a pool full of blood than into the septic tank. Though either idea sounds fun.

It really depends on how it's handled.  Flows already have contaminant markers for distinguishing freshwater, saltwater, stagnant water, polluted water, etc.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11