Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]

Author Topic: A suggestion on poop handling  (Read 18350 times)

Meanmelter

• Bay Watcher
  • A Dwarven Demon, yeah, he is pissed.
    • View Profile
Re: A suggestion on poop handling
« Reply #150 on: July 13, 2009, 10:25:42 pm »

id rather add it to the tip of a weapon so they get infected if they live.
huh. took a bunch of sleeping pills and slept in a pharmacist, wake up, i am now albino. 
Story of my life.

chucks

• Bay Watcher
  • Have Cutlass -- Will Travel
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: July 14, 2009, 01:14:04 am »

id rather add it to the tip of a weapon so they get infected if they live.

Be careful not to cut yourself with your awesomely sharp sword of a thousand serates after you coat it with septic nastiness.  I certainly wouldn't want to be the squire tasked with cleaning your equipment after battle, so you probably wouldn't have many stableboys volunteering to deal with your weaponry.

Not sure of the best way to handle infection vectors and nastiness of wastes, but bacteria and fungus and algae blooms can consume wastes.  Other vermin such as dung beetles and flies and misquitoes slowly consume waste as well, handling your filth could be very fun.

If you don't have a proper latrine/outhouse/sewage system, not only would the resulting bacteria and growths begin to infect your dwarfs slowly, you could easily begin to see your fortress overwhelmed with swarms of insects and greater numbers of vermin creatures.

Water flows would definitely help to flush highly concentrated collections of waste downstream, but management of residual sludge would begin to be necessary.  If you can seal a system, the vermin will remain concentrated in the sewer areas, and fixtures like toilets and commodes and such would act as seals.  If you could add yeast or something similar to rid-x to your sewers, you could begin to have somewhat clean sewers that wouldn't yield ferocious swarms of flies through your fortress.

If yeast is ever required for brewing dwarven spirits, it could serve a secondary role of keeping the mighty shit tunnels of the Mountainhome clean of disease and vermin infestations.  If you so desire, you could build a megaproject around the idea of having a waste cistern that you keep a live bacteria and fungal cultural growing threw periodic flushing of the enitre dwarven sewer system.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 01:18:02 am by chucks »
Computer says 'No'.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: July 14, 2009, 05:38:32 am »

In no-stream fortresses yeast would work, but for fortresses with flowing water we could just channel the flowing water through our sewer system without too much trouble. a ton of rushing water, constantly, day and night is not going to leave much room for disease, but remember to restrict the area downstream of your fortress so you don't end up fishing for shit.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: July 14, 2009, 01:58:04 pm »

Flushing your shit into a river would probably complicate life for anything living downstream

Hungry

• Bay Watcher
  • Former controller of Zombie Fenrir
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: July 14, 2009, 02:06:31 pm »

Sees downstream area turning into evil undead spawning pit of infection and doom...and upset elves...XD
Breccia isnt in DF, like garden slugs.
Cheese for the Cheese boat!

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: July 14, 2009, 02:10:21 pm »

Cost/Benefit... I like.

On a more serious note, streams cannot properly absorb the shit of a hundred dwarves.

Meanmelter

• Bay Watcher
  • A Dwarven Demon, yeah, he is pissed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: July 14, 2009, 03:28:30 pm »

lol
huh. took a bunch of sleeping pills and slept in a pharmacist, wake up, i am now albino. 
Story of my life.

Quift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: July 15, 2009, 07:27:25 am »

So a compost then? afterall all that underground agriculture should need ton and tons and tons of fertilizer to be viable at all. last time I tried to plant something on wet rock it didn't really take afterall.

Peewee

• Bay Watcher
  • Watcher Of Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: July 15, 2009, 07:32:03 am »

Oh, just tame a GCS and let it meander around your restroom. Its web should take care of any insects you might worry about.

Felblood

• Bay Watcher
  • No, you don't.
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: July 15, 2009, 01:22:20 pm »

Oh, just tame a GCS and let it meander around your restroom. Its web should take care of any insects you might worry about.

I'm going to say cost outweighs benefit on that one.

Build the loo near a cluster of spiderwebs, and leave those webs outside the burrow for silk collection.
The path through the wilderness is rarely direct. Reaching the destination is useless,
if you don't learn the lessons of the dessert.
--but you do have to keep walking.

Peewee

• Bay Watcher
  • Watcher Of Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: July 16, 2009, 07:36:19 am »

Ordinary spider webs couldn't deal with the size of insects I'm thinking of.

If poo/sewers are implemented, we're going to need an "incentive" to keep the sewer from backing up.

I mean, who cares if dorfs don't like stinky bathrooms? They'll just dine in their legendary dining rooms and forget the toilets.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: July 16, 2009, 08:51:06 am »

First came the magma men.
Then came the zombies.
Now... the exrementals.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: July 16, 2009, 01:39:01 pm »

First came the magma men.
Then came the zombies.
Now... the exrementals.

Lame as heck and probably already posted ITT, but it's relevant: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEdOqYEwcT8

chucks

• Bay Watcher
  • Have Cutlass -- Will Travel
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: July 16, 2009, 02:16:18 pm »

This is my hetero life partner, Silent Bob.
Computer says 'No'.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]