Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11

Author Topic: A suggestion on poop handling  (Read 18353 times)

Haven

• Bay Watcher
  • Studiously Avoidant
    • View Profile
Re: A suggestion on poop handling
« Reply #120 on: June 23, 2009, 08:05:02 pm »

I'd imagine it would be a constant display item thing if it really had to be. Your dwarves feel the wind whenever they go outside. Besides which, it does tend to change direction on occasion, so it might not be worth as much in planning as most things are.

chucks

• Bay Watcher
  • Have Cutlass -- Will Travel
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: June 23, 2009, 09:55:31 pm »

Yet another argument for the introduction of fires and smoking!  Your dwarves could smoke their pipe tobacco to figure out which way the wind blows in their mineshafts.  Chimney effects in cave systems makes me giddy.
Computer says 'No'.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: June 24, 2009, 04:20:39 am »

Smoking underground doesn't sound too smart

I think a menu could just display the direction and speed. Doesn't seem necessary to make a dwarf suck on his finger and lift it up to check

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: July 03, 2009, 04:24:04 am »

Sewer worms (video), a new kind of vermin.

These worms ingest sediments and gain nutrition by selectively digesting bacteria and absorbing molecules through the body wall. The worms can survive with little oxygen through the use of their hemoglobin rich tail-ends, which they wave in order to absorb what little oxygen they can. They can also survive in areas so heavily polluted with organic matter that almost no other species can endure. By forming a protective cyst and lowering its metabolic rate, T. tubifex can survive drought and food shortage. Encystment may also function in dispersal of the worm.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: July 03, 2009, 11:25:39 am »

Looks to me like it could grow on the walls or the sewers, possibly as a material spatter of sorts? Either way, the idea just got even more interesting. Perhaps harvest them to feed fish in cages? Fish-and for that matter amphibians-love to eat the things. I had a newt that lived on freeze dried cubes of the things.
From Mr. Welch's 1350 things he is not allowed to do in a RPG:
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
171. My character's dying words are not allowed to be "Hastur, Hastur, Hastur"
218. No matter my alignment, organizing halfling pit fights is a violation.
231. I am not allowed to do anything that would make a Sith Lord cry.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: July 03, 2009, 01:34:42 pm »

That's tubifex, most likely, a bunch of gnat, midge or mosquito larvae. They behave similarly, it reminded me of them as well. It'll add a bit of life (and therefore, productivity) to the sewers when they exist, so we don't have to rely on elementals of that kind.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: July 04, 2009, 06:47:28 am »

Hey now, don't discount the idea of Shitmen and Shit Golems

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: July 04, 2009, 07:17:52 am »

Variety is the spice of life, and that goes for scatological entities too.

mjo625

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: July 04, 2009, 02:37:12 pm »

Even if the whole "handling of shit" aspect wasn't implemented, I think it would be good to at least necessitate having bathrooms. So, there would be public bathrooms for regular dwarves, and nobles would have various demands as to the quality of their private bathrooms.

Maybe have a toilet built from a seat and a pipe section, have it need the architecture skill as well. Also, have poorly made wooden toilets occaisionally generate the thought "Dwarf was very upset to have gotten a splinter in his ass recently." Or make it possible to make porcelain, and any toilet not made of either porcelain or a valuable metal generates an unhappy thought.

Wikipedia says "Porcelain is a ceramic material made by heating raw materials, generally including clay in the form of kaolin, in a kiln to temperatures between 1,200 °C (2,192 °F) and 1,400 °C (2,552 °F)." So you can add a "gather clay" job to a kiln that works the same way as gather sand, I guess, then add jobs to the kiln that allow you to make stuff out of porcelain.

Edit: I didn't see the "Ceramics and Cements: Pottery, Bricks, Mortar, Concrete, Plaster and Whitewash" thread before, i;m sure there are better ideas on making porcelain in there.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2009, 02:40:19 pm by mjo625 »

chucks

• Bay Watcher
  • Have Cutlass -- Will Travel
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: July 10, 2009, 05:37:04 pm »

If it is going to be visited, I would like to actually have to deal with the...products.

Previously stated in the thread, ancient tanneries would use urine and dung as reactants in the process of tanning.  There are still a number of places in the world that still tan leather in this method, logically being placed on the outskirts of the poor districts of those areas.  The materials were also very common components for alchemy and farming.

The added difficulty of finding a solution to waste problems would add real difficulty to the game.  I like it.
Computer says 'No'.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: July 10, 2009, 11:54:56 pm »

My proposal on this topic: Zone designation: Toilet.

Should work just like zone designation: dump and zone designation: pond: the produce will fall directly on the soil, if the zone is over the floor if the zone is over the floor, and if there is a hole, it will go through there instead. And I agree with OP: if it builds up it should release miasma, so you'd better figure out a way of cleaning it, be it magma, water, or sending some dwarves to cleanse it.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Craftling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: July 11, 2009, 03:15:45 am »

Or just build a piece of furniture labelled 'Outhouse". But who am I to argue with the chairman of poo in these matters?

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: July 11, 2009, 07:21:18 am »

Burning shit smells less than pleasant, seeing as about 90% of the playerbase would just build a toilet above the magma vent, we'd need the horrifying smell simulated

I needn't mention the other realistic historical precedent, treating the ocean as a bottomless sewer, works without a hitch

jaked122

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Lurker tendancies]
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: July 11, 2009, 10:11:48 am »

THIS IS BLASPHEMY, TOADY PLEASE DESTROY THIS I PRAY TO YOU

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: July 11, 2009, 11:16:06 am »

Considering this idea was mentioned and destroyed in the very first DF thread ever, way before even 2D was released, there is really no reason to keep clamoring for pee and poo simulation.  Can you imagine having to dwell on it long enough to code it?  Do you really want to subject the world to bugs of DF scale and scatological bent?  I ask you.  DF has made us crazy enough already.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2009, 11:17:46 am by Corona688 »
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11