Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11

Author Topic: A suggestion on poop handling  (Read 18355 times)

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A (shortish) dissertation on poop in DF
« Reply #105 on: June 19, 2009, 07:21:54 pm »

*Detailed, clever combination of the suggestions*
That, my friend, is just about perfect. The whole rampant animals thing is also a pet pevee of mine, since there should be some affect. One thing I would like to add, however-pet owners should be forced to clean up after their own pets. It's following them around all day, they might as well clean up after it. Dwarves who don't like to take responsibility (or the closest personality trait to that) might get an unhappy thought from it (more like annoyed), but those who do might get a small boost from it (Urist was proud to look after his pet recently).
From Mr. Welch's 1350 things he is not allowed to do in a RPG:
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
171. My character's dying words are not allowed to be "Hastur, Hastur, Hastur"
218. No matter my alignment, organizing halfling pit fights is a violation.
231. I am not allowed to do anything that would make a Sith Lord cry.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.

dragon0421

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A suggestion on poop handling
« Reply #106 on: June 19, 2009, 09:05:02 pm »

Excrement can be a source of saltpeter (an already existing item) if left to rot and refined correctly. Before mass gunpowder production, this was part of the process.

I for one would love to see crude black powder rifles in the game, and poop harvesting could be one of the steps (as ridiculous as it sounds).

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, how did I get back here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 20, 2009, 01:43:20 am »

Excrement can be a source of saltpeter (an already existing item) if left to rot and refined correctly. Before mass gunpowder production, this was part of the process.

I for one would love to see crude black powder rifles in the game, and poop harvesting could be one of the steps (as ridiculous as it sounds).

Saddly, Toady gave guns the big No, and black powder is debaited often.

Quote from: ProtonJon
And that's why Communism doesn't work. There's always Chance Time

chucks

• Bay Watcher
  • Have Cutlass -- Will Travel
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 20, 2009, 01:49:06 am »

The McVey Oklahoma federal building explosion used fertilizer based explosive.  Very probable source of explosives.

Carefully placed explosives and explosive cannon balls are something I can swallow.  I wouldn't like to see dwarves running around with muskets and pistols, much less rifles or semi-automatic weaponry.
Computer says 'No'.

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, how did I get back here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 20, 2009, 04:05:41 am »

semi-automatic weaponry.
Crossbows. that is all.

Quote from: ProtonJon
And that's why Communism doesn't work. There's always Chance Time

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 20, 2009, 07:42:20 am »

Well, the Chinese did have rockets and fireworks-and dwarves do have an obsession with all things on fire. Perhaps it could be used to make a firecracker kind of toy? Just a minor trinket to the dwarves, but still interesting enough that it sells for a decent price. Might also have interesting effects if you light one and throw it into a crowded town square-or a kids plays with one on the booze stockpile.
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 20, 2009, 02:57:48 pm »

You are the one with the fascination with fire, not the dwarves

Felblood

• Bay Watcher
  • No, you don't.
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 20, 2009, 06:27:36 pm »

I'd like to see sewers long, long before we have anything like guns or explosives. I, for one, actually enjoy the pre-Renaissance feel that their absence brings. Thankfully, we can have sewers without gunpowder.

This is a simulation of the hardships of prying civilization from the clutches of the wilderness. As such, I think it'd be strange if DF doesn't have waste management infrastructure, as part of the simulation.

Sure we already have refuse haulers, but healthy sanitary systems are one of the things that's really necessary for a city to develop. Even primitive solutions like throwing it in the rivers, or guttering it to the outskirts of town are better than nothing.

We already deal with the other messy realities of survival, in a reasonably mature fashion. Our dwarves are able to defend themselves, kill their food, and clean vomit off their floors without the game becoming unnecessarily disgusting, and I think this possible for sewers, too.

Some players are going to dump goblins into cesspits, yes. However, if this stuff relates back to healthcare and it's proximity create miasma and disease, most people are going to be more concerned with moving it away from their dwarves, than under their goblins. The health care changes that are going in are almost certainly necessary groundwork for that, but they're going in anyway, right?

Manure being a cheap (but somewhat dangerous, considering the increased risk of plague) source of fertilizer on low wood maps would also increase the number of places that dwarves could survive, once farming gets nerfed back.

I don't know that dwarves should be willing to shovel un-processed dwarven sewage onto their fields though. It's not a good idea, and dwarves do seem kind of tidy.

Manure and sewage might should be kept distinct, though I don't see any purpose behind separating liquid and solid waste. It's not that hard to keep them separate enough that they could have different uses, as dwarves shouldn't poop on the floor and animals won't use the latrine .

If there is no latrine a dwarf should just find a patch of dirt and bury his business, like people do when they are working or camping in the wilderness. It shouldn't make dwarves happy if they have to keep doing it for years, and might should debuff their disease resistance (or whatever the penalty for doing something unsanitary is) so as to encourage players to provide proper facilities suited to the size of their fortress.

You can't keep doing that indefinitely, with a very large group, as you tend to end up digging up as much as you bury, but unhappiness and poor health are probably as deep as we want to delve into that. Trust me; I've worked wildfires where large teams were cut off from port-a-potty pumpers, for extended periods. It's fundamentally different from a group of around seven people camping in the same place without a proper latrine.

Dumping manure into sewage should just turn it all into sewage.

I do agree that sewage should produce miasma as it evaporates. Open air sewage treatment vats are not a thing anyone wants to be close to.
The path through the wilderness is rarely direct. Reaching the destination is useless,
if you don't learn the lessons of the dessert.
--but you do have to keep walking.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 21, 2009, 05:16:34 pm »

Tracking wind direction would be necessary if we'll start evaporating sewage

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 21, 2009, 07:03:47 pm »

Not really-not any more than it would be for that huge field of dead, rotting orcs, dwarves, and dire wolves right outside your front gate. But if dynamic weather is in the picture...than yeah, I think it might become necessary.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 22, 2009, 02:38:36 am »

Tracking wind direction would be necessary if we'll start evaporating sewage

It might be done already, not sure:

Yeah, if you are in certain places there will be mountain/valley winds and sea breezes during the morning/evening that will pass very quickly in dwarf mode.  It should probably just turn them off there.

Anyway, once it's tracked, it'd be very simple and efficient for wind to give a directional bias to the random movement of clouds so that they'd blow with the wind.

Felblood

• Bay Watcher
  • No, you don't.
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 22, 2009, 08:30:56 pm »

While wind direction effecting miasma clouds would certainly add something to sewer project planning, I don't see either one as being necessary for the other.
The path through the wilderness is rarely direct. Reaching the destination is useless,
if you don't learn the lessons of the dessert.
--but you do have to keep walking.

Drake1500

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 23, 2009, 06:41:42 pm »

While wind direction effecting miasma clouds would certainly add something to sewer project planning, I don't see either one as being necessary for the other.

not necessary but beneficial.

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 23, 2009, 07:42:16 pm »

I hate to ask the obvious, but HOW will you be able to tell what direction the wind is blowing BEFORE building your sewer system?

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 23, 2009, 07:43:15 pm »

I hate to ask the obvious, but HOW will you be able to tell what direction the wind is blowing BEFORE building your sewer system?
Campfire.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11