Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11

Author Topic: The Sims 3 leak!  (Read 20608 times)

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
Re: The Sims 3 leak!
« Reply #75 on: May 22, 2009, 05:11:57 pm »

I remember NWN1 was leaked on purpose to get people to try the game and hopefully buy it.

It worked for me. I downloaded the version they leaked out and I ended up buying it and all the following expansions.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 22, 2009, 05:16:51 pm »

They're lying, it works perfect

HA!

I find this hillarious only because I heard the EXACT opposite

Which was that EA is lying in order to cover up all those bad reviews the pirates are giving.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 22, 2009, 05:21:38 pm »

I heard it crashes madly with ATI video cards. But on nvidia it's working just fine. I haven't had a single crash.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 22, 2009, 05:21:48 pm »

I remember NWN1 was leaked on purpose to get people to try the game and hopefully buy it.

It worked for me. I downloaded the version they leaked out and I ended up buying it and all the following expansions.

I ended buying it years after I had gotten the full demo, finished it and both expansions, just so I could play online with other people (I was tempted to buy boxed copies for friends that were too cheap to buy their own, but never did, so I ended playing on persistent worlds for a bit only).

Even if I don't play it anymore I don't really consider it a waste.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 22, 2009, 05:33:57 pm »

QA and optimization is often one of the last stages of game development.  It's actually not that uncommon for a game to get a 50% speed increase in the last few weeks before it goes gold.  Also, more support for other cards.

So yeah I can believe that happening.

Also, if you've never gotten a virus from a pirated game, you're lucky and not an idiot when it comes to where you get your games from!  Plenty of places are very virus-laden, but only traversed by idiots.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Alexhans

• Bay Watcher
  • This is toodamn shortto write something meaningful
    • View Profile
    • Osteopatia y Neurotonia
« Reply #80 on: May 22, 2009, 05:39:27 pm »

The Sims 1 is the first game I bought (my own money) in my life...

And I still think is one of the greatest and most original games ever...

And now some shocking news...

I never played Sims 2...

At the time I didn't have a good enough computer... then I didn't have enough time... then I heard about Sims 3... and just decided to wait...

Am I loosing to much?
“Eight years was awesome and I was famous and I was powerful" - George W. Bush.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 22, 2009, 06:03:59 pm »

QA and optimization is often one of the last stages of game development.  It's actually not that uncommon for a game to get a 50% speed increase in the last few weeks before it goes gold.  Also, more support for other cards.

So yeah I can believe that happening.

Also, if you've never gotten a virus from a pirated game, you're lucky and not an idiot when it comes to where you get your games from!  Plenty of places are very virus-laden, but only traversed by idiots.

This close to release (a little over a week), the game is, without a doubt, already in the printing factories and thus as well QAed as it can possibly be. They have to actually press the disks and all that ;P This is the final version of the game, almost without any reasonable doubt.

That said, I only ran into one major bug myself, having to do with sims not completing trips down stairs sometimes, which I fixed by replacing said stairs.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 22, 2009, 06:14:59 pm »

The Sims 1 is the first game I bought (my own money) in my life...

And I still think is one of the greatest and most original games ever...

And now some shocking news...

I never played Sims 2...

At the time I didn't have a good enough computer... then I didn't have enough time... then I heard about Sims 3... and just decided to wait...

Am I loosing to much?

Sims 1 was a depressing game, to me, without expansions at least.  There were no real aspirations; your only goals were "make money for a better house", "get better jobs for more money", "make friends so you can get better jobs"...  It was almost an anti-capitalist manifesto!

Sims 2, your sims have aspirations.  They get points when they do things they WANT to do at any given point (up to four or six active at once), like talk to their kid, or skip work, or go to work, or eat a cheese sandwich, or buy an expensive sculpture, or improve a skill point.  A successful sim is no longer one with a big house and tons of money--it's now a sim that is happy and has a full aspiration bar.  Also you can spend those aspiration points on items that let you cheat the system in little ways.

HUUUUUUUUUGE difference, to me.  I couldn't stand the first game; the second however is not as depressing.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Alexhans

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 22, 2009, 11:58:41 pm »

There wouldn't be a 2 if it weren't for the 1...

Sims was not a Goal game... YOU chose your goals...

That means you're capitalistic oriented....

People used it for different things... (designing, getting jobs, managing as many people as possible, killing ;))But, if you read the manual, Sims was basically trying to tackle the problem of time... too many things to do and too little time... How will you handle that?

It was a great experiment tool...  Incredibly original. 

You just CANT diss the sims... It would be like dissing Sim City because 2000 or Sim City 4 are better...

debvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 23, 2009, 01:16:30 am »

There wouldn't be a 2 if it weren't for the 1...

Sims was not a Goal game... YOU chose your goals...

That means you're capitalistic oriented....

People used it for different things... (designing, getting jobs, managing as many people as possible, killing ;))But, if you read the manual, Sims was basically trying to tackle the problem of time... too many things to do and too little time... How will you handle that?

It was a great experiment tool...  Incredibly original. 

You just CANT diss the sims... It would be like dissing Sim City because 2000 or Sim City 4 are better...

I totally agree, Sims 1 regardless of it's lack of content during release was extremely original. That was most of the fun factor to me, clicking on the fridge and watching the sim pull out some food to eat was fascinating. And the consequences of doing that just added to the awesomeness.

I usually don't like sequels because they can't match the original factor of the previous games, they just won't give the same feeling. So After 2 expansions I began to get sick of the Sims and when I played the Sims 2, I almost vomited. Oh well, I'm gonna give Sims 3 a try here real soon and report back.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2009, 01:18:27 am by debvon »

Alexhans

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 23, 2009, 02:09:44 am »

I only played the first 2 sims expansions... the others felt like forced mods to have fun for a while but they didn't really improve gameplay or anything...

Totally NOT worth buying.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 23, 2009, 08:45:00 am »

Wall-of-text review/impressions/overview, for anyone interested:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Alexhans

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 23, 2009, 10:26:41 am »

I'll definetly give it a try...

For me, simulation is sometimes funnier than playing to win or something... Seeing the AI agents react and develop...

debvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 23, 2009, 11:56:00 pm »

Hah! Well I tried it. Sims indeed..

Here's a quick run down of what I saw and thought of the game, if you want to wait and try it for yourself then skip over; though it's not going to be positive or anything. It's EA.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Perhaps the game gets better, but I do not want to find out. It'd definitely be a treat for the kiddos, but don't think of buying it before you 'try' it. Seriously. Do not disappoint yourself more than you need to.

EDIT 1+2:  When I attempted to uninstall, it started the game up AGAIN and I had to sit through the loading before I could exit. While it was in the process of uninstalling. *omnisigh*

I am going to bust a gut when they start selling extra content for actual cash. I can already imagine a shiny little window popping up asking for your credit card information so that you can have a pink mohawk.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2009, 01:02:10 am by debvon »

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 24, 2009, 07:57:23 am »

Here is something you may find interesting:

EA has gone on the record to say that the Pirated version is a Buggy Pre-release version

Goodness, EA better hope the real version is perfect (assuming they were telling the truth) or else people are going to get mad!
So the fact that you have to log in with one of your serials onto the internet every time you want to play is a bug supposed to be fixed for release?

Face it, EA pressmonkeys are talking out of their ass and everything they say should be considered non-information unless corfirmed or denied from somewhere else.

@Debvon: Something you missed is the lack of ability to build your house from scratch and effectively a 5 family limit due to the lack of plots.

The uninstall is bad(the same thing happened to me with RA3U, I'm starting to see a pattern here...) but not as bad as damnation(Codemaster's gears of war/western hybrid supposed to REVOLUTIONIZE the shooter genre with it's verticality), which looks as if it functions(and takes half an hour) but infact only deletes the .exe required to play.
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11