Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: 80 Dwarf+ Fortresses  (Read 1571 times)

Da King

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
80 Dwarf+ Fortresses
« on: May 20, 2009, 03:36:37 pm »

In all the games of Dwarf Fortress I have played, I have never managed to get a fortress with more than 80 Dwarves. Whenever I try, I either complete my mega project ahead of time, or become bored with the fortress and start a new one. I don't even know what a goblin siege looks like, I ponder the existence of the mysterious "economy", and I have never had a King. How can I play them game in such a way that the fortress lasts longer?

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
Re: 80 Dwarf+ Fortresses
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2009, 03:46:10 pm »

Magma, lots of magma.

I've got to 122.  The economy certainly makes things... fun.  If you decide to make coins, imagine the same game only the dwarves spend all their time shifting little pieces of metal around.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2009, 03:49:20 pm »

No sieges......*gargle*.......RAGAHG.  Grr/ajskaldasldlsajdadmaaaasddfkl;s....what/the./

DgnBiscuit

• Bay Watcher
  • Has been nauseated by the sun lately.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2009, 03:50:47 pm »

I routinely get to 200 (where I've got my cap set). You just need to think bigger. Make you're projects more major. Ensure that each room has a waterfall near it. Build up an army to kill the demons (if there are any). Turn the whole overland map into a garden for your dwarves. Re-create the emerald city from the wizard of Oz in green glass. Divert rivers around your fort. Try to come up with hideously complex traps. Those sort of things.

-DB
Urist McKitten has been ecstatic lately. Urist McKitten can has cheezburger lately.
Here at Bay12, we're constantly looking for ways to set the world on fire.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2009, 03:52:53 pm »

Cover every grass tile with a floor.

Da King

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2009, 04:00:28 pm »

No sieges......*gargle*.......RAGAHG.  Grr/ajskaldasldlsajdadmaaaasddfkl;s....what/the./

Oh hell no. Orcs. I love that mod.

I can't think of anything that won't be incredibly easy or incredibly difficult to try at the moment.

jaked122

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Lurker tendancies]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2009, 04:03:03 pm »

Cover every grass tile with a floor.
the elves will destroy you

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2009, 04:03:53 pm »

Oh I forgot, cut every tree down.  And feceate in all the streams.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2009, 04:26:30 pm »

Yeah, I kinda have this problem of losing interest in my fortesses too quickly too... though in my case its mostelly because my fps just goes lower with each new dorf i get. Once around 80 dwarves my fort would have to be realy interresting to keep my watching it at 25 fps (this is 4 times slower then what the game has a maximum framerate, its slow).

Latelly I just took to killing off dwarves I dont like once I get too many (mostelly simply by being sloppy, my dwarfs see this as the perfect excuse to die from dumb things). Also to tunning my annimals into biscuits. Still never had dwarf economy though, and never had a goblin siege; only orc sieges once I installed orc mod.

Still, im entertained enough.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2009, 04:31:50 pm »

I find it hard to start a new fortress, so I just keep playing the same fortress until it falls or *cough*the computer dies*cough*.

Scarpa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2009, 04:32:58 pm »

My latest fort I decided to trade heavily using my own craft goods and I'm getting way more migrants than I ever have before. Its either that or an emerald artifact bed attracting them all I suppose. I'm at 100 dwarves now and that's after losing 30% to an ambush the second year.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2009, 05:00:40 pm »

Start a challenging fortress with a goal in mind. Like a glass tower on a desert plain. Or an ice fortress on the tundra. Or a fortress suspended above a bottomless pit. Or a fortress inside an active volcano.

You will get more mileage out of the game if you start with specific goals or limitations for a fortress.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Legislature

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2009, 06:19:26 pm »

Start a challenging fortress with a goal in mind. Like a glass tower on a desert plain. Or an ice fortress on the tundra. Or a fortress suspended above a bottomless pit. Or a fortress inside an active volcano.

You will get more mileage out of the game if you start with specific goals or limitations for a fortress.

The one about a volcano and the glass tower would certainly be interesting. :D If I ever get that good at DF, I'm certainly trying that out.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2009, 04:54:56 am »

I have 210 dwarves with all the nobles.
The word mess simply isn't adequate.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2009, 05:55:09 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This is what happens after you stop caring for cleaniness.
Pages: [1] 2