Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: I caught 2 Skeletal Giant Eagles  (Read 1553 times)

Pruvan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I caught 2 Skeletal Giant Eagles
« on: May 20, 2009, 11:33:05 am »

From the wiki:
Should your dwarves be unfortunate enough to encounter a skeletal giant eagle, abandon your fortress and start a new one far, far away. To witness its cruel devastation may scar you for life.
Giant Eagles can be caught in cage traps, however this is extremely rare. A much easier option, although not quite as profitable, is to buy them from the elves.

The only entrance to my "fort" is a 4 tile wide entrance where my only 4 cage traps are located. Since my dwarves live on the side of a small hill the entire sky is open, I've only got a few stockpiles actually underground. So far 0 casualties.

I think I'm doing it wrong.
I don't see dicks...  I'd hate to ask people to point them out.

KlanK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I caught 2 Skeletal Giant Eagles
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2009, 12:02:33 pm »

You sir, are doing it so very very wrong...

Unless you unleash those horrible creatures on those tree loving bastards!

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2009, 12:06:26 pm »

If you don't mod in trainable eagles and produce an army of skeletal war eagles (assuming you caught a breeding pair (if skeletons even can breed)) then you failed.

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2009, 12:32:52 pm »

I..don't think skeletons can breed. I'm not sure but I don't think they...have the tools for that :P

Zaranthan

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet Smelter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2009, 12:34:54 pm »

They can't be tamed, either.

Anyway, you're not doing it wrong. Skeletons can't fly, so they're vastly easier to deal with than regular giant eagles. Still pretty tough, but not game-ending.
Quote from: Howard, Nerf This, by Scott D. Ferguson
Villains sleep with hookers, heroes sleep with destiny.

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2009, 12:42:10 pm »

Build a room for the nobles. Dig a dungeon under the room, release the skeleton eagles.
Now, when you want to kill a noble, pull the lever, the noble will drop in the dungeon and flee for his life, chased by the skelletal horrors. Never being able to sleep, eat or drink, just fear. When they collapse, the eagles shall feast on their bodies.
Oh, how I love fantasizing about these kind of things :P

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2009, 01:24:11 pm »

Build a room for the nobles. Dig a dungeon under the room, release the skeleton eagles.
Now, when you want to kill a noble, pull the lever, the noble will drop in the dungeon and flee for his life, chased by the skelletal horrors. Never being able to sleep, eat or drink, just fear. When they collapse, the eagles shall feast on their bodies.
That would probably work better with the slowed down zombie versions.  I reckon a skeletal would catch and disembowel my count in seconds.

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2009, 02:04:02 pm »

Alternatively:

On your lowest Z-level, dig out an extremely long corridor. On the very far end, put your cage trap with the skeletal eagles.

About halfway through the corridor, and one Z-level up, designate your pit. This is where you'll throw the nobles in. On the floor tile where the pitted nobles will fall, put a pressure plate that'll release the eagles.

At the other far end of the corridor, put a set of stairs leading to safety, food, and booze.

And just in case a noble ever DOES make it to that stairway, put another pressure plate a few tiles ahead of it that'll slam shut a floodgate in their face.  :)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2009, 02:36:55 pm »

Alternatively:

On your lowest Z-level, dig out an extremely long corridor. On the very far end, put your cage trap with the skeletal eagles.

About halfway through the corridor, and one Z-level up, designate your pit. This is where you'll throw the nobles in. On the floor tile where the pitted nobles will fall, put a pressure plate that'll release the eagles.

At the other far end of the corridor, put a set of stairs leading to safety, food, and booze.

And just in case a noble ever DOES make it to that stairway, put another pressure plate a few tiles ahead of it that'll slam shut a floodgate in their face.  :)

You realise that will probably lead to your legendary woodcutter going in to reclaim the noble's socks?  And when he steps on the plate...

NFossil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2009, 07:17:57 pm »

Skeletals do fly.

Elliott_Thinas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2009, 08:31:26 pm »

I once caught a whole pack (like 5!) of these things on this terribly haunted land. I mostly used them to execute prisoners, although I once caught a dragon and was planning on fighting the two but I find something a lot more fun in the depths and soon no one was left to put them together. But yeah, they're awesome fun. Just make sure you have a chained kitty behind a trap to recapture the beast.
I got me a breeding pair of Han Solos.

Firnagzen

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_INSANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2009, 08:41:01 pm »

*coughs* That sounds surprisingly like what I'm doing.

What I'm doing, see, is to build the tombs of my nobles, 'cept the mayor, because he's not demanding and he's a legendary miner, very, very near their living quarters.

Directly connected to their studies, in the case of my baron and his consort, hidden behind a cabinet.

When I finally get annoyed enough to dispose of them, I'm going to have them interred... And then ressurect them as skeletons with dwarf companion.

The rooms will, of course, be reused by the next baron/baroness.

With their predecessor's skeletal bodies creaking about just behind that cabinet. ;D

The king? His tombs are three z levels below his throne room.

Do we get new kings when unfortunate accidents meet the first one?
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then you kill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.

quintin522

• Bay Watcher
  • [FLYING_SPAGHETTI_MONSTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2009, 09:02:17 pm »

I..don't think skeletons can breed. I'm not sure but I don't think they...have the tools for that :P

It works the same way as Pokemon. You turn your back for a second, and when you turn back theres the egg
"I can't bleed to death now, I don't have time!"
Urist McExplorer, bolding going where no dwarf has OH GAWD THE MAGMA IT BURNSSSss..

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2009, 11:24:28 pm »

It sucks that skeletons can't breed. I want an army of cute little baby skeletal mountain goats.

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2009, 12:36:25 pm »

Zombie puppies, d'awww
Pages: [1] 2