Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: I can't find flat ground...  (Read 2570 times)

zestorum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I can't find flat ground...
« on: May 20, 2009, 05:23:11 am »

I have searched for flat ground for in all my regions and I can't find any!
Just so you know, I prefer to build over flat ground then to make "caves" However this is a problem because i cannot find any.

Can anybody give me tips on how to get a "flat" world.

Village_Idiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I can't find flat ground...
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2009, 05:30:52 am »

A standerd seed gets you plenty of flat ground, try forests they're usually quite flat.

EDIT: or even better, use deserts, they tend to be rather flat.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 05:36:56 am by Village_Idiot »

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The Light shall take us
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2009, 05:32:25 am »

Your playing DWARF FUCKING FORTRESS. Just.. make it flat, you know?
Quote from: Akura
Now, if we could only mod Giant War Eagles to carry crossbows, we could do strafing runs on the elves who sold the eagles to us in the first place.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2009, 05:34:09 am »

Your playing DWARF FUCKING FORTRESS. Just.. make it flat, you know?

With magma.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2009, 05:39:22 am »

Terraform ftw.

Chucker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2009, 06:30:42 am »

On the screen where you choose your site, TABBING will cycle through several pages of info. One of these shows the height of terrain represented by 1s all the way up to *s. Just look for an area which is all the same number and this should be flat ground.

zestorum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2009, 07:03:29 am »

On the screen where you choose your site, TABBING will cycle through several pages of info. One of these shows the height of terrain represented by 1s all the way up to *s. Just look for an area which is all the same number and this should be flat ground.

yes.. I know. However if I do that I'd either end up with an aquifer or no river.

Chucker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2009, 07:23:53 am »

Well, you're either generating pocket worlds or are not looking very hard.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2009, 07:39:31 am »

Tell the finder to search for an area with low elevation, a river and no aquifer.

It should find something.

You may have trouble finding a flat area with no aquifer though; DF seems to be positively obsessed with putting aquifers in every single desert, forest and shrubland it can find; and those are the flat bits of the world.

You will find the occasional desert, forest or shrubland (or Taiga if you're in a cold area) without an aquifer in it, but the vast majority of them do. Just keep genning worlds and you'll find something.

Especially if all you're after is a River it shouldn't be too hard at all; if you're after magma as well then it'll become rather difficult.

Exponent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2009, 08:33:29 am »

Actually, I think you'll want to look for an area with the lowest numbers, not just the same numbers.  These numbers represent elevation variance; high numbers mean high variance.  Thus an area with all 9s will be very much not flat.  An area with mostly 0s and 1s, and maybe a few 2s would be nice.  Look for all 0s if you really want it as flat as possible.

Hishan

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALCOHOL_DEPENDANT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2009, 09:16:04 am »

Be a man, either biuld on a glacier, desert, or level the entire map FOR ARMOK!

Volfram

• Bay Watcher
  • hate you all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2009, 09:32:41 am »

Honestly, I fail to see the appeal of building on a flat map.

I mean yes, having mostly flat wooded areas is good for mass-forestcide, but other than that, it's kinda... boring.

Even so, as Dwarf said.  It's Dwarf Fortress.  You make it flat.
Andir and Roxorius "should" die.

Yes, actually, I am trying to get myself banned.  I wish Toady would quit working on this worthless piece of junk and go back to teaching math.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2009, 09:47:01 am »

Actually, I think you'll want to look for an area with the lowest numbers, not just the same numbers.  These numbers represent elevation variance; high numbers mean high variance.

Yes and no, but mostly "no".

Those numbers show the average(-ish) z-level elevations of that area block. They're the "variance" off of 0, not off of each other. So all 10's is as flat as all 1's.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2009, 10:45:34 am »

Actually, I think you'll want to look for an area with the lowest numbers, not just the same numbers.  These numbers represent elevation variance; high numbers mean high variance.

Yes and no, but mostly "no".

Those numbers show the average(-ish) z-level elevations of that area block. They're the "variance" off of 0, not off of each other. So all 10's is as flat as all 1's.

I thought the coloured height map showed height and the numbers were variance from lowest to highest in that section.

Been a while since I played though, half waiting for the next version.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2009, 10:54:55 am »

Exponent has the right of it. All 10s is not, in fact, as flat as all 1s. Any non-zero number in a section means that there is elevation change in that section. If there's an 8 in the section, that means that the difference between the highest and lowest z-levels in that 48x48 area is 8.

"Variance off of zero" wouldn't be feasible to display as 0 is sea level and most mountains start in the 140s or so. "Variance off of flat" would basically be what I just described above. "Variance off of regional average" would mean that a perfectly flat plateau that happens to be 10 above the regional average would display as bolded *s (i.e. maximum elevation change), and what good would that be?
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels
Pages: [1] 2