Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Kobold "Fortress"  (Read 1741 times)

Nerserus

• Bay Watcher
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
Kobold "Fortress"
« on: May 20, 2009, 04:10:41 am »

Hehehe in adventure mode i found a cave filled to the brim with kobolds.   ::)

AWWWW BLESS EM. ;D

The leader had a copper short sword and MASTERWORK PANTS ( Bad-ass. Excuse the pun. )

Anyway their awesome fortress of deth mostly consists of: Them sitting around all day not talking with tons of crap surrounding them. Yeah that kobold leader's copper short sword sure made me think twice about messing with him: http://www.mkv25.net/dfma/movie-1355-koboldmegafortressofwtfpwnage

Well i guess there is just one question. Why the hell are THERE SO GOD DAMN MANY OF THEM?
All i see is: k k k k k k K K!... Them Chosen Warriors with Beak Dogs and full keen plate better watch themselves or the kobolds will mess them up with their copper daggers.
stack of 10 prepared dragonfly brains - I'm trying to imagine what's more funny: a dwarf popping a tiny dragonfly brain into his mouth for a snack, the butcher who actually prepared this feast, or the brave hunter who ventured out into the wilderness and returned with this bounty.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
Re: Kobold "Fortress"
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2009, 04:44:42 am »

Well i guess there is just one question. Why the hell are THERE SO GOD DAMN MANY OF THEM?

Because Armok loves you.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2009, 07:44:18 am »

Pfft; that's not alot.

You should gen a world to the year ~10,000 and go find a Kobold Cave. If you find a long-running one it'll be wall-to-wall kobolds 2 and 3 deep throughout the whole thing.

If you're particulary sadistic; i can give you my Hobgoblins (small red goblins that breed faster than Orcs and use wooden weapons; not very dangerous but very fast and prone to siegeing you constantly, making them an excellent annoyance.) and you can try genning a world that long; i got to 4000 and went an found a Hobgoblin retreat; according to ledgends it had 100,000 Hobgoblins in it.

So not going there.

Mipe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2009, 08:38:19 am »

according to ledgends it had 100,000 Hobgoblins in it.

I've only got one thing to say to that.

R-R-R-RAAAIIIIN OOOF FIIIIIRRRREEE!

(cookies to whoever catches the reference)

Foa

• Bay Watcher
  • And I thought foxfire was stylish in winter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2009, 10:11:10 am »

Pfft; that's not alot.

You should gen a world to the year ~10,000 and go find a Kobold Cave. If you find a long-running one it'll be wall-to-wall kobolds 2 and 3 deep throughout the whole thing.

If you're particulary sadistic; i can give you my Hobgoblins (small red goblins that breed faster than Orcs and use wooden weapons; not very dangerous but very fast and prone to siegeing you constantly, making them an excellent annoyance.) and you can try genning a world that long; i got to 4000 and went an found a Hobgoblin retreat; according to ledgends it had 100,000 Hobgoblins in it.

So not going there.
All I know are that hobgoblins are stronger, smarter, and are more of an annoyance.

Kobolds deserve better than that, they need a cave to dwell in!

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2009, 10:18:34 am »

I was disappointed at the lack of carnage in that recording.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2009, 01:26:00 pm »

Why do the words "Total map collapse" spring to mind?

Flying Carcass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2009, 12:07:12 am »

"The Noob"?

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2009, 01:44:32 am »

All I know are that hobgoblins are stronger, smarter, and are more of an annoyance.

Interestingly enough the original Hobgoblin myth puts them as smaller, weaker and trickier Goblins. Tolkien made an error in his first run of LotR and called his super-goblins Hobgoblins. He later renamed them Uruks when he realised his error, but by that point it was too late; Hobgoblins had universally been accepted into the 'standard' High Fantasy settings as bigger, meaner and often more military minded Goblins.

Since DF has cannibalistic hardcore Elves (as opposed to the usual magicey High Elves or pansy Wood Elves) i felt it was appropriate to return Hobgoblins to their roots as smaller, faster and more annoying Goblins.

Plus i already have Orcs for 'bigger, meaner and stronger Goblins"

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2009, 02:36:43 am »

for some reason it reminded me of generika adventures, a webcomic based on neverwinter nights.
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

decius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2009, 12:35:01 am »

Interestingly enough the original Hobgoblin myth puts them as smaller, weaker and trickier Goblins. Tolkien made an error in his first run of LotR and called his super-goblins Hobgoblins. He later renamed them Uruks when he realised his error, but by that point it was too late; Hobgoblins had universally been accepted into the 'standard' High Fantasy settings as bigger, meaner and often more military minded Goblins.

Since DF has cannibalistic hardcore Elves (as opposed to the usual magicey High Elves or pansy Wood Elves) i felt it was appropriate to return Hobgoblins to their roots as smaller, faster and more annoying Goblins.

Plus i already have Orcs for 'bigger, meaner and stronger Goblins"

It was Tolkein who generated the "Tall, graceful protectors of the forest" mythos of elves. Before him, they were small, mischievous creatures more akin to imps (which were not demonic) and fairies (which are not friendly, but rarely malicious).
TBH, I think that all dwarf fortress problem solving falls either on the "Rube Goldberg" method, or the "pharaonic" one.
{Unicorns} produce more bones if the werewolf rips them apart before they die.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2009, 11:33:12 am »

Yeah, fairies.  Lot's of fun.  Take anything that isn't bolted down, right?  (OH look, cloth! grab)
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2009, 12:34:30 pm »

Yeah, fairies.  Lot's of fun.  Take anything that isn't bolted down, right?  (OH look, cloth! grab)
As long as they stay away from my bars, gems and bauxite I won't mind.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2009, 12:37:56 pm »

OH! SHINY!  ;D
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2009, 02:46:30 pm »

We need magpies  8)