Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10

Author Topic: Boycott Gamestop!  (Read 12182 times)

jaked122

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Lurker tendancies]
    • View Profile
Re: Boycott Gamestop!
« Reply #60 on: May 20, 2009, 04:08:26 pm »

rated T carded...? WTF, I've gone to gamestop, but I can't say that's ever happened to me, current age 15.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 20, 2009, 04:15:27 pm »

I'm pretty sure this is a company attempting to be noble and strike back at THE MAN, or..whatever.

I think it's hilarious that now they have become THE MAN in some eyes.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 20, 2009, 04:24:28 pm »

Someday, I wish to be shown why being successful is bad.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Okenido

• Bay Watcher
  • Loli Advocate
    • View Profile
    • New Various Nonsense
« Reply #63 on: May 20, 2009, 05:02:56 pm »

THE MAN is EA Games.

Mostly due to excessive DRM, and poor quality.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 20, 2009, 05:21:08 pm »

Someday, I wish to be shown why being successful is bad.

Can't please everyone.

The more popular you are, the harder it is for the people you don't please to just not care about you at all.

Also, successful businesses often change over time, and that often means alienating some people along the road.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 20, 2009, 05:37:00 pm »

THE MAN is EA Games.

Mostly due to excessive DRM, and poor quality.

I do remember when EA was small, and took chances.

They are very forumulaic and don't produce as many new IP as they used to.

I'm bugged with EA overuse of licensed music, it makes a lot of there game blend together.

However, EA does produce games for small company, which shouldn't be overlooked.

They're tightly calculated games does help out smaller game companies.

With that, I wouldn't say that EA makes bad games. They have good predicable sales. They do have solid games. If I play an EA game. I know that the graphics are going to be tight, the controls good. And it'll be enjoyable. It won't be a great game. It won't stand out. But its not a bad game. You won't see EA games being reviewed by the angry video game nerd, or the nostalgia critic. 

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 20, 2009, 06:09:11 pm »

Do your part to stop underage gaming.
Don't buy M rated games for minors.
Seriously, you were carded for a T game? That's pretty ridiculous.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 20, 2009, 06:30:47 pm »

I started my Gamestop boycott long ago. It was around the time they stole a few of the games I tried to sell. I was busy, so I didn't notice that half of the stuff I brought in didn't get scanned but was placed in the "sold" pile anyway.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 20, 2009, 08:00:05 pm »

I started my Gamestop boycott long ago. It was around the time they stole a few of the games I tried to sell. I was busy, so I didn't notice that half of the stuff I brought in didn't get scanned but was placed in the "sold" pile anyway.

That was probably a bad cashier. It shouldn't be taken as reflection on a whole of the entire company.   

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 20, 2009, 10:30:58 pm »

It's not success that's bad but the corruption that seems to follow it inevitably.  As soon as people get a taste of success they usually are so afraid to not continue achieving that amount of success that they'll sacrifice anything in order to get it.  Bethesda seems like a prime example of this.  Morrowind was really popular on consoles, so they sacrificed all of their artistic integrity for the next game to make it even more popular on consoles.

Believe it or not, that bothers some people.  It's when being successful isn't a result of your art but the sole purpose of it that it becomes a bad thing.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 10:33:01 pm by Ioric Kittencuddler »
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 20, 2009, 10:37:27 pm »

It's not success that's bad but the corruption that seems to follow it inevitably.  As soon as people get a taste of success they usually are so afraid to not continue achieving that amount of success that they'll sacrifice anything in order to get it.  Bethesda seems like a prime example of this.  Morrowind was really popular on consoles, so they sacrificed all of their artistic integrity for the next game to make it even more popular on consoles.

Believe it or not, that bothers some people.  It's when being successful isn't a result of your art but the sole purpose of it that it becomes a bad thing.
Its not the fear, they had a taste of the pie. Now they want the whole thing.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 20, 2009, 10:42:58 pm »

Its not the fear, they had a taste of the pie. Now they want the whole thing.

It's an infinite pie.  Well, maybe they somehow don't realize that, or just don't care.  The point is, the problem isn't success, it's the corruption that comes with it.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 20, 2009, 10:54:58 pm »

What are oblivion's artistic demerits?

It major change was some portions of its combat engine. Which felt smoother then what morriwinds had.

It more open to modification then morriwind.

It got overall better reviews then morriwind.

It open ended game play was greatly extended.

Some well missed features from first two games made a come back.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 21, 2009, 01:49:19 am »

What are oblivion's artistic demerits?

It major change was some portions of its combat engine. Which felt smoother then what morriwinds had.

It more open to modification then morriwind.

It got overall better reviews then morriwind.

It open ended game play was greatly extended.

Some well missed features from first two games made a come back.

I don't want to drive this thread completely off topic with another discussion about Oblivion's flaws, so I'll just respond to this post, and if you want to argue against me, please make another thread, or put it in the Fallout 3: Stupidity discussion thread that's already off topic on Oblivion.

With Oblivion, Bethesda set out to create a game with as much mass appeal as possible, and sacrificed much of it's artistic credibility to do it.  They completely tossed out any attempts to match the level atmosphere in Morrowind, actually turning the Imperial Province from a land of jungles, rainforests, and marshes, into a generic D&D rip off that I've no doubt was also trying to cash in on the popularity of the LotR movies.  They completely removed flight and flying creatures from the game, greatly reducing the thought required for level design.  They made all the cities isolated from the world, just because the console versions supposedly couldn't handle it... and that was a great excuse to remove flight.  Thanks to the level scaled random enemies everywhere, everywhere now felt the same.  And thanks to that allong with the new genericized Cyrodiil everywhere looked the same.  The new plot was a generic "save the world" drivel, the only real unusual bit was that you weren't the chosen one, but they fixed that by making the chosen one totally useless so you did everything he would have anyway.

The Kind of Worms, the badass Necromancer lord from Daggerfall is now a measly little High Elf you can kill easily.

I was under the impression that Morrowind is far superior when it comes to modding.  The dialogue system in Oblivion is a huge hamper.  Just what about Oblivion is better in this area?  And I'm not sure what you are thinking saying that it's more open ended since about the only difference in that area is that Oblivion has a long mandatory tutorial.  Neither of these two things are really relevant though.

Professional reviews are totally unreliable.  It's a documented fact that mainstream game makers bribe mainstream reviewers with fancy events, or blackmail them with information refusal.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2009, 08:13:05 am by Ioric Kittencuddler »

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 21, 2009, 07:57:01 am »

You won't see EA games being reviewed by the angry video game nerd, or the nostalgia critic. 

The AVGN reviews old games. Before EA was even founded. The Nostalgia critic reviews movies and only ONCE reviewed an OLD game. Of course you wont see them review an EA game. Or any other game from a modern time for that matter.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10