Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: What can take out my fort?  (Read 1777 times)

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What can take out my fort?
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2009, 01:10:41 pm »

Disappointingly, the only fort I've ever truly lost was about population 30, after the first immigrant wave, and some (modded) Zombie Mammoths attacked. I could have probably held out if I just ordered everyone inside, but I thought I could take the mammoths with my military...nope...then I thought I could take them with a peasant rush...nope...it ended up with just two kids running around avoiding the (slow moving) mammoths, and several human and dwarven caravans coming in and having their archers stomped when they tried to take on the mammoths too. Eventually the kids starved.
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2009, 01:21:21 pm »

First to a random tantrum spiral, coz I didn't know how to properly stop my dwarves grabbing those irrestible pigtail socks during a small goblin ambush.  Then my elite crossbowman started to tantrum in my barracks.  Not good, as the result (my dwarves sometimes went without alcohol due to poor management; there was a lack of beds; food was poor and unvaried; several people had already lost relatives to killer carp, so everyone was already quite unhappy) was something fairly close to civil war.  As arrows flew randomly and dwarves began to stab, slash, bludgeon and wrestle each other, I ceased to know who was actually fighting for me, and who was tantrumming.  Due to wounds sustained, those who were originally trying to apprehend someone could quickly turn into tantrummers themselves.  And... then I decided to fire my ballista into my main hall.  Well, the ending had to be dramatic, right?

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2009, 07:14:23 pm »

Mandrills sound kind of like orcs.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

da dwarf lord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2009, 10:41:27 pm »

orcs are fun especially when I mod them to make them carry adamantine weapons to make the game more chllenging.  Trust me it does. They stormed my base owned my military so I recruited everyone and stationed them across a drawbridge i had built over lava and had stockpiled booze on it ,opened the bridge the resulting explosion killed all the orcs and half my dwarves but I got lots of nice adamantine weapons out of it 

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2009, 11:37:35 pm »

Never forget that the greatest threat to dwarves are the mischievous spirits that look over them. No amount of training and weaponry can overcome their cruel intentions.

Nightwind

• Bay Watcher
  • The wind has no destination
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2009, 03:09:26 am »

Yes, "Urist Salvedangers the Dwarven Pol Pot" shows THAT quite well.
GENERATION 28:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Lord_Shadow

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNDEAD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2009, 02:11:03 pm »

HFS...
Urist McCarpenter cancels rest: QUITSCREWINGWITHMAHBUCKETSYOUSONOFABITCHES!!!
Urist Mccarpenter has gone stark raving mad!
Urist McWalrusCarpenter cancels rest: Has u seen mah bukkit?!

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2009, 02:36:35 pm »

Mandrills sound kind of like orcs.
I used to have Macaques.  Sorta like Mandrill-lite.  Didn't stop them from stealing huge piles of crap which I had lying outside.  And once made a daring raid on my depot... which failed.  A few war dogs could rip em to shreds.

decius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2009, 10:32:57 pm »

I bet you can't make an anti-siege hallway.

Just make a long hallway and rig it to rapidly fill with magma. Be sure to test it before you really need it.

If that doesn't destroy at least one of your fortresses, you, sir, are not playing Dwarf Fortress right.
TBH, I think that all dwarf fortress problem solving falls either on the "Rube Goldberg" method, or the "pharaonic" one.
{Unicorns} produce more bones if the werewolf rips them apart before they die.

sweitx

• Bay Watcher
  • Sun Berry McSunshine
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2009, 02:38:24 am »

orcs are fun especially when I mod them to make them carry adamantine weapons to make the game more chllenging.  Trust me it does. They stormed my base owned my military so I recruited everyone and stationed them across a drawbridge i had built over lava and had stockpiled booze on it ,opened the bridge the resulting explosion killed all the orcs and half my dwarves but I got lots of nice adamantine weapons out of it 
How do you mod them to carry adamantine weapons?
One of the toads decided to go for a swim in the moat - presumably because he could path through the moat to my dwarves. He is not charging in, just loitering in the moat.

The toad is having a nice relaxing swim.
The goblin mounted on his back, however, is drowning.
Pages: 1 [2]