Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What can take out my fort?  (Read 1783 times)

Stealtharcadia

• Bay Watcher
  • Cool Guy 3217
    • View Profile
What can take out my fort?
« on: May 19, 2009, 11:34:25 pm »

I've got a fort on a not-too-agressive map, 135 dwarves, a couple nobles, and a pretty good economy going. I haven't really looked for my HFS or Magma Pipe yet, and I have a military with around 28 champions in wrestling, sheild, armor, and swords(their also all decked out in iron plate, I know it isn't the best but yeah). The sieges I've experienced thus far have been taken out by one or two champions alone without any injuries.

So I was wondering, are there any threats I should really be worrying about in the near future?
Yeah yeah yeah!

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
Re: What can take out my fort?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2009, 11:37:26 pm »

Your HFS.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2009, 11:41:32 pm »

How large were the sieges? Early ones are 1-2 squads. They'll grow to 5, maybe with trolls. I don't think 1-2 champions will hold them off.

Stealtharcadia

• Bay Watcher
  • Cool Guy 3217
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2009, 11:42:17 pm »

That it? Megabeasts or Goblins ceasing to be a problem? I was thinking maybe the nobles could fuck me up. This is only my second fort, so while I think I'm on the right track, I'm sure I'm doing something terribly wrong.

The Baroness just came and dwarven economy got kickstarted, I think I adjusted well by giving the bastards awesome rooms and made shitty rooms for all my poor dwarves.

Is it fitting for me to put chains used for prisoners in my Hammerer's dining room?
Yeah yeah yeah!

Stealtharcadia

• Bay Watcher
  • Cool Guy 3217
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2009, 11:43:19 pm »

How large were the sieges? Early ones are 1-2 squads. They'll grow to 5, maybe with trolls. I don't think 1-2 champions will hold them off.

Well, I have 30ish champions, and more elites training to be champions..
Yeah yeah yeah!

Stealtharcadia

• Bay Watcher
  • Cool Guy 3217
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2009, 11:47:32 pm »

Oh man, I just had a lone hunter ambushed by two little squads of goblins.
He just destroyed a good amount of them and drove off the others without sustaining any wounds. The dwarves of Tongsswallows are mighty, indeed.
Yeah yeah yeah!

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2009, 11:47:46 pm »

30ish champions should be able to stop most anything. They may not all survive, and certainly not without wounds, but they shouldn't have a problem keeping the fortress safe assuming you aren't fighting on 3 fronts at once.

The HFS can still take you out, btw, depending on who shows up there.

Stealtharcadia

• Bay Watcher
  • Cool Guy 3217
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2009, 11:53:53 pm »

Maybe the terrible governing power of the ruling class will cause a tantrum spiral into hell. Maybe if the fort stops being challenging at all, I'll embark on some sort of megaproject and explore parts of the game I've been afraid to try with an early fort.
Yeah yeah yeah!

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2009, 12:08:50 am »

Got a king? I think you can abandon and it'll stay as a working mountainhome. Try to fill the world with fortresses.

Stealtharcadia

• Bay Watcher
  • Cool Guy 3217
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2009, 12:19:30 am »

Haha, maybe. No king yet, only a baroness. I assume I'm still pretty early on in the game.

What kind of things have taken out you guys' steady-going forts?
Yeah yeah yeah!

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2009, 12:21:10 am »

Haha, maybe. No king yet, only a baroness. I assume I'm still pretty early on in the game.

What kind of things have taken out you guys' steady-going forts?
Lessee, my second fort crumbled thanks to a tantrum spiral, I wanted to see what happened when I dropped 19 recruited peasants into magma.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2009, 12:22:58 am »

So many ways to lose...

Ambushes won't take out the entire fort, but they could kill and start spirals.  That means more patrols. 

Internal collapse is probably more common than (direct) enemy action.

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2009, 12:49:04 am »

I've only ever lost a fort to FPS issues. In fact, I've never even had a fort be decimated by anything.

But once, something came close. Here's the story.

So, I had a prospering young fort built on a tropical shrubland. There were large herds of elephants around, so I had plenty of food. There were stacks of elephant meat piling up in my food stockpile faster than I could make barrels for them. I had several hunters that had become legendary weapon users through their elephant hunts. Up until now, my only fatalities had been peasant elephant hunters who had been killed by wandering big cats (as much as I'd like to say "I'm so badass that elephants are afraid of my dwarves, elephants are afraid of everything in this version).

That's when the mandrills came.

A cloud of vicious, screaming m's came hurtling into my base, grabbing trinkets and food. And dwarves. They would lunge at my dwarves, biting and clawing them and dogpiling them down. I even lost a few hunters to the mandrills. They just jumped on my dwarves and ripped them apart. Ambushes and sieges were nothing compared to this. Eventually, I recruited my entire population and stationed them in the midst of the mandrills.

I lost a pretty big chunk of dwarves. Probably between 5 and 15.

I couldn't build coffins fast enough for the dead, so I almost had a tantrum spiral. I barely managed to pull out of it with my delicious elephant meat dishes.

Seriously, mandrills are worse than any siege. They're like naked, rabid goblins with sharp teeth and claws.

Stealtharcadia

• Bay Watcher
  • Cool Guy 3217
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2009, 01:20:23 am »

Hey, look at that. A Zombie Titan has appeared! A giant zombie sounds rather scary. : O
Yeah yeah yeah!

Captain Xenon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2009, 01:23:08 am »

cooking alcohol on a map where the river freezes. guaranteed 'fun'
Pages: [1] 2