Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Gah, why can't Dwarves recognize milkfish as harmless?  (Read 1064 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Gah, why can't Dwarves recognize milkfish as harmless?
« on: May 19, 2009, 02:26:54 pm »

This is more of a gripe than anything and I know that 'dorfs' are pretty stupid. In my current game, I have a stream that is just chock FULL of Milkfish, Tigerfish and a handful of stingrays (freshwater stingrays apparently) and every time the dorfs go near the pools and stream which have fish in them, they keep going ___ cancelled ____, interrupted by Milkfish. There were a few cancellations caused by Tigerfish and they haven't noticed the stingrays yet. I'm griping that they keep balking at the milkfish and tigerfish which don't seem to be dangerous. Although I'm glad there aren't any Carp in there.

Anyways...I didn't make any of my guys a fisherdwarf because I didn't want to lose any to potential carp, but now I'm regetting leaving one out now that I see the bounty in that stream. Still, at least one fisherdwarf almost always comes in the first immigration wave.

Zaranthan

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet Smelter
    • View Profile
Re: Gah, why can't Dwarves recognize milkfish as harmless?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2009, 02:39:32 pm »

First, you DO know that fisherdwarves pull up vermin fish, not creature fish, right?

Second, make a crossbow and solve the problem.
Quote from: Howard, Nerf This, by Scott D. Ferguson
Villains sleep with hookers, heroes sleep with destiny.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2009, 02:47:10 pm »

I'm still in my first year, in fact, the first caravan is just leaving.

I found the culprit though, a bunch of fruit next to a pool with fish. I just won't designate that close to the stream. I'm basically at the nead of a river valley with the stream cutting through the middle.  There's plenty of trees and bushes on both sides of the stream anyways. The stream actually cuts in a southwest direction (to the bottom left corner, so there is technically more land on my side of it.

I'm in a rainforest (wet tropical broadleaf), dense vegetation all over the place, so I'm not worried about finding food or wood. It's just that those fish were bieng annoying.

Kethas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2009, 07:04:07 pm »

Unfortunately, 'where fish come from' is not terribly well documented. Loosely, you get a per-biome (or river, or underground river), per-season cap, abstracted entirely from any vermin or creature fish you may happen to see. 'Biome' is determined by the biome of the tile you fish from, not, say, the biome of the water source that feeds your dwarf-carved cistern.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2009, 07:09:01 pm »

I found the culprit though, a bunch of fruit next to a pool with fish.

Fruit? You mean Plants, as in Gather Plants?  Yeah, selective designation - not too near magma pipes, streams filled with predators, chasm entrances - things like that.  ;)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2009, 07:17:32 pm »

Yea, they kept trying to grab the fruit but kept cancelling. I thought those fish weren't predators or something. I know not to designate near dangerous areas, but sometimes they'll even cancel when they run into a harmless creature like a marmot.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2009, 07:29:33 pm »

All large riverfish (milkfish included) can be as dangerous as a carp. The only reason carp get the worst reputation is because they're one of the most common river denizens (appear in most biomes (although milkfish actually appear in more biomes than carp) and have the largest clustersize).
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.