Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Cakelie: there's science to do!  (Read 1586 times)

Strangething

• Bay Watcher
  • Slizardman
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
Cakelie: there's science to do!
« on: May 19, 2009, 02:16:34 pm »

I have a persistent urge to make a fortress called "Cakelie" and blog the results in character as GLaDOS. Is this awesome? Y/N?

If I decide to do it, I'll do the Biodome-style, sealed fortress. Feel free to offer suggestions on how to do this right.

Optimizt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cakelie: there's science to do!
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2009, 02:19:00 pm »

Mod in a deadly gas that kills anything it touches.

Everyone likes neurotoxin.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2009, 02:31:36 pm »

Hmm... First set up an underground fort and put in tons of levers/other fun things. Then kill off most of the population with a deadly neurotoxin. Trap any immigrants and put em in cages, and let them run through the crazy killer maze-like fort one at a time.

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2009, 02:33:49 pm »

Hmm... First set up an underground fort and put in tons of levers/other fun things. Then kill off most of the population with a deadly neurotoxin. Trap any immigrants and put em in cages, and let them run through the crazy killer maze-like fort one at a time.
No, no, no. Underground fort, levers everywhere connected to random things holding either the fort/entire map together or the magma back, don't put any notes anywhere, put it up as a bloodline fortress.  ;D

Wahad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2009, 02:34:24 pm »

Make sure to strew stone blocks around the maze. Companion Cube!

Also turrets (crossbow traps)

ZergSpartan

• Bay Watcher
  • OH GOD BEES
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2009, 02:58:02 pm »

Build automated rooms to capture new immigrants.
Set up a control room covered with pressure plates and let a kitten loose in there. When a pressure plate is walked on by the kitten fun things happen! Will room #11 have food dropped into it? Or will #3 be flooded with magma?
"Yeah. My plan was to drop some kittens into the siege, and have my dwarves freefall into battle, landing on top of the kittens. The plan was kinda dumb though because the kittens were standing on grates, and the goblins killed them with arrows just as I was releasing the freefalling dwarves. So the dwarves weren't able to land on kittens and just fell and died."

Earth Striker Lurin

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's Go to Work...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2009, 03:06:25 pm »

that's called miasma...
"So I looked to the left of me, looked to the right of me, raised the giant's severed arm above my head and said 'Let's go to work...'"   -- Lurin Diamondfist relating the time he had to mine without a pick axe.

small lawe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2009, 03:12:40 pm »

that's called miasma...

Could you edit miasma to make it deadly?

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2009, 03:25:21 pm »

I love the idea of having a bloodline game with a death trap fortress (created by someone else, of course).  Sounds fricking awesome.  Magma flooding, water flooding, neurotoxin releasing, cave ins, monster releasing...

The incentive could be that useful and valuable items (such as axes, picks and anvils) could lie behind these puzzles.  Oh, and of course, access to the outside world would be cut off.  It could be made on a volcanic island.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2009, 05:29:43 pm »

No, sadly.

The closest thing you can get to a toxic (yet) is modding in a stone with a melting and boiling point of zero, which will burst into a cloud of deadly gas as soon as it exists.

The only way I can think of to apply this gas in a controlled way is with smelters within gas chambers.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2009, 05:56:28 pm »

I love the idea of having a bloodline game with a death trap fortress (created by someone else, of course).  Sounds fricking awesome.  Magma flooding, water flooding, neurotoxin releasing, cave ins, monster releasing...

The incentive could be that useful and valuable items (such as axes, picks and anvils) could lie behind these puzzles.  Oh, and of course, access to the outside world would be cut off.  It could be made on a volcanic island.

Actually, there should be timed triggers to deadly events that require you to solve problems to save your dwarves. The incentive would be not dying. Magma is flowing into the area where the dwarves are but a tree is blocking the exit out of that level. The only axe is being guarded by a dragon...

The next version might get us a lot closer to deadly gas and poisons and whatnot.

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2009, 06:10:06 pm »

True, inhaled poisons are going to be in the next release.
On topic: if you make enough miasma dwarves are most likely to tantrum and kill each other, so it's kind of like a neurotoxin

Firnagzen

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_INSANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2009, 07:55:20 pm »

Can we make auto firing crossbows or something? Turrets.

Also, Y.
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then you kill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.

Walliard

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2009, 02:10:44 am »

No, sadly.

The closest thing you can get to a toxic (yet) is modding in a stone with a melting and boiling point of zero, which will burst into a cloud of deadly gas as soon as it exists.

The only way I can think of to apply this gas in a controlled way is with smelters within gas chambers.

What about having a rock which boils in magma and having a magma "vent" in every relevant room?

OP: Make every door out of glass. Portals!
Toady, how much of DF is inspired by Labyrinth? Is Armok actually David Bowie? Because that would simultaneously be disturbing and awesome.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2009, 02:38:43 am »

Can we make auto firing crossbows or something? Turrets.

You can make auto-firing weapons traps with up to 10 crossbows each, but they only fire into their own tile, and only 1x/time the enemy steps there, and only until their ammo runs out.  (Someone aptly compared them to the auto-defense systems in Aliens).

Pages: [1] 2